Water in engine?

eoep

Been Around the Block
So i left my bike out and it just has pod filters.It just so happens that we had the worst rain in arizona and i was at work before i got a chance to cover my bike. Today i go and change the oil and this is what i find. Is my engine dead and whats the best thing to do? :'(

I don't see a picture?
Either way it's no big deal if you caught it that quickly. Just change the oil and go about your day.
Maybe change it again sooner than normal after that.

Change your oil and add a bit of seafoam to it. Then change again after about 100 or so miles. Should be ok since you caught it before riding around with water in there.

They were these little white chunks. I'm just gonna change the oil a couple of times and then see if it starts here a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 251
Make sure you pull the spark plug and cycle the engine a few times before you start it.
Don't want to hydrolock it.

I have ridden dirt bikes and ATV's for years and I can't even count the number of times I have swamped one and had to drain the oil, dump water out of the intakes, empty the cylinders, etc.
They work just fine afterwards with nothing but an oil change. Hell I've just drained the cylinder and finished my ride with no adverse effects.

A little rain shouldn't hurt anything

As others have said - change the oil / filter. You could also blow some compressed (clean) air in the intakes to help dry stuff out if you really think water got in that far.

Drop the carb bowls too and drain them / clean them out. If water got into the carbs, it would make its way into the bowls potentially contaminating the fuel in there. Easy enough to drain them.

I'd think about a 2nd oil change shortly too - run the motor and then drain the hot oil to encourage as much of the H2O to come out with it.

Drain and blow out everything stated above. But you don't need to change the oil more than once. Twice if you're skittish.
Condensation naturally occurs inside engines. Any water droplets that might be hanging around after you drain the oil the first time won't add up to what's in there after a decent ride on a cool evening, and will evaporate when the engine reaches operating temperature.

Bringing this back but what are some decent pod type filters that are water repellent?? I'm living in Wilmington nc and my 74 cb450 is my daily driver. I get caught in rain often and its a complete pain in the a$$ when my pods get damp in the slightest...

[quote author ;DgingerXlightning link=topic=62495.msg713217#msg713217 date=1411280489]
Bringing this back but what are some decent pod type filters that are water repellent?? I'm living in Wilmington nc and my 74 cb450 is my daily driver. I get caught in rain often and its a complete pain in the a$$ when my pods get damp in the slightest...
[/quote]

no such thing, build some shrouds/sidecovers

You need to get bike HOT, 20~30 mile ride and use some rpm[br /]In all probablity your being too gentle and motor isn't getting hot enough (top and rear of crankcase should be over 200f, cylinder head a bit warmer)[br /]&amp;nbsp;You do have the filler plug in place?&amp;nbsp; &lt;img src="<a href="http://www.dotheton.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.dotheton.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif" id="smiley_92935_wink.gif" onresizestart="return false;" alt="" title="Wink" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" align="bottom"&gt;[br /]I've used K&amp;amp;N filters on most of my bikes since about 1978, ridden in conditions you wouldn't believe and have never had my oil look like that - except in two stroke Yamaha DT 400 transmission, it never got hot enough to 'boil out' the condensation (probably because of where I used to ride it &lt;img src="<a href="http://www.dotheton.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.dotheton.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif" id="smiley_20559_grin.gif" onresizestart="return false;" alt="" title="Grin" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" align="bottom"&gt;)[br /]I did make some covers for the outer two

@gingerXlightning: You could use Outerwears pre-filters to help water intrusion through your pods. They make one that is water repellent.

Back
Top Bottom