looking for ideas and guidance with my 1980 CB750F

mattie

I have recently acquired a mint 1980 CB750F Super Sport and am looking to build a subtle cafe flavor. I'm thinking seat pan, and seat and drag bars. What I need is help with is ideas on what you all have done and what's been successful.

If it's "mint", why modify it right away? Ride it for awhile first. It's already a great bike.

Like I said, I'm looking for the cafe flavor. I live in western Canada and the idea out here seems to be if it's not a Harley, why bother. I want to enjoy my bike and turn some heads at the same time.

I agree that if the bike is mint, don't hack it up. But for some "bolt on" stuff...
Corbin makes a solo style replacement seat for the DOHC F models that looks Ok. I had one on my '82 900F and it was comfy, but I had to fiddle with shimming it to get it to sit right on the bike. My bro had an 1100F that he had the OEM seat cut down and recovered, and it looked better than the Corbin seat.
Dragbars look good, and are a period correct mod. Clipons are another option, if you don't mind having the empty OEM bar mount still attached to the top yoke. Clubmans are also an option.
Bolt on rearset mounts should be available. Try Fast from the Past ;) I can tell you that the rearsets from the 1100F will bolt right on and look really good. (I had them on my 900F) but they're getting scarce and/or pricey to obtain these days.

it is a superbike not a calf racer :-\
if you even attempt to calf it you should be hung
honda_09.jpg

mattie said:
Here's the bike. What do you think?
it looks great needs very little
put some good shocks out back a fork brace and a gold valve up front, spring it right
quality pads and brake lines
check the swinger bushes and steer tube bearings
maybe eliminate the rear fender
superbike bars or low mx bars
good tars
DONE

The more time I spend around the bike the more I starting to appreciate the super bike look. You guys are right. I think I'm gonna stick with that look. Bars and a rear end mod.

JustinLonghorn said:
Put some Superbike bars on it, modify/replace the rear tail light/fender, and call it a day.
I gotta agree with Justin on this one. It doesn't need to be cafe'd out because it can do the ton right off of the showroom floor.
That is a superbike, the bikes that paved the way for the rockets that are on the street now. Put some superbike bars on it and go smoke some cafe racers!

Nice bike for sure. Look at some Renthal Road Low handlebars or similar. And for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6FvZ7yOZGA&index=5&list=PL274D90315BE27B9E

Attachments

• spencer_19.jpg
    spencer_19.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 458
xb33bsa said:
Jesus christ almighty look at the size of that front rotor!

As for your bike Matt, I am with the same mind as the others. It is a 750 4. People know these as the forefathers of crotch rockets, with some slight alterations to the rear end and an update in brake and suspension technology you will have one very unique and headturning bike.

So I think I've decided to stay true to the super sport look with this bike. I am gonna go with handlebars and a rear fender and light upgrade. I think I'm gonna modernize the front fork internals as well. Thanks guys for all the help with the direction to take with my bike.

I'm impressed you actually took advice. That doesn't happen often with new guys here! Good luck, nice looking bike.

Always play to a bikes strengths.
Mods should be done to improve function. the look will come.

Playing dress up is stupid. almost as stupid as clubmans on a big bike.

join cb1100f.net they are great with these dohc bikes.

Do
-Look into the CBR600F2 wheel swap. Forks too if you are feeling froggy. Its semi bolt on with the right mix of stuff.
-You already have the twin piston calipers? cant tell in the pictures. They started using them in 82. If you dont have them get them. Great bolt on upgrade. allows the use of modern HH rated pads too.
-buy real shocks. Not that ebay shit "remot res" stuff that used to be $40 and is now $150. spend the money on REAL shocks. Will not cost you much more then crap
-if you do the wheel swap rebuild the bearings in the swing arm, or find a CB1100F boxed alloy arm.
-Put the stock airbox back on, or buy one. Pods SUCK
-If you read up on CB1100F.net you will find some cheap carb upgrades that use take off semi flat slide carbs.
-RAASK makes bolt on rearsets, or track down the OEM "sports kit" parts for a better peg location....again bolt on
-Renthal makes a killer superbike bars. NO LOWER THEN SUPERBIKE BARS
-Does the bike have an oil cooler? if not get one. 100hp/L is stressed for a larger air cooled bike. they make heat.
-SS braided lines. Slingshot cycles makes a GREAT kit and GREAT parts. Unsure if he offers a discount to DTT memebers, but does on other forums. search that out.
-Think the guys use CB900F cams or some other set as a slight upgrade with the stock motor.

After that you will have a well running bike that actual performs.
The look will just sorta happen.

DONT
-keep the pods
-take the fenders off
-go for that "open triangle" look
-use the term "cafe racer" any more
-paint anything at all
-cut the seat down

But before anything service the crap out of it.
Clutch making noise?
Starter working 100%?
No stupid "jet kits" installed right?
Valve adjustment is a small pain, but needs to be checked.

Now im excited....
maybe I dont want to sell my 1100F
I also want another CBX now too!

Back
Top Bottom