2-3 ohms. Is my stator fried?

Oskimo

Hey guys, unsurprisingly I've been battling some charging issues on my CL360. Went for a decent length ride around town and everything ran great but came back home to a battery down to ~7V. I checked the stator impedance and i'm reading 2.0, 3.0 and 2.5 ohms across plug wires and no grounding out. I've read that anything over 1 ohm means a bad stator. Does this mean mine is junked?

I suppose I should note that I have since replaced the 55watt h4 bulb with a 35/35watt since that last ride but haven't had a chance to take her out again. All other lights are LED. Reg/Rec is the one from Sonreir and its working great. I'm hesitant to do the ACV test since i'm running an expensive EVO2 ballistic battery and if it gets below 6V it's effectively bricked.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20140724_165551_497.jpg
    IMG_20140724_165551_497.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
Charge the battery and the. Check the AC voltage coming from the stator.

Alright, just checked the AC voltage. I was having some trouble getting real solid contact with the multimeter leads but here's what I found: At idle, all three wires were around 6-8 VAC, at 5k rpm they were all in the 20-30VAC range. Seems low to me. Shouldn't it be more like 18VAC idle and 30+ at revs?

Might be some corrosion on the connectors? Try some electrical contact cleaner and see if things improve.

Ok, i tried the test again. I did it incorrectly the first time. I was measuring against the ground rather than across AC terminals :-\

This time I measured between the yellow/white wire (spliced) and the pink wire. Voltage at 1.5k = 15-16 VAC and at 5k = 30+ jumping up to around 70 or more

DC voltage at battery = 13.2X at idle and maxed out briefly at 14.56 with revs (Sparck moto Reg/Rec)

I'm guessing this means charging is nominal but alright. The question now is: can I adjust idle up a bit (maybe around 1.6-1.8k) to get a steady 18VAC or do I need to stick with the manual suggested 1.3-1.5k RPMs?

Your charging sounds just fine. I wouldn't change a thing.

Double check all your ground connections and ensure they're free of dirt, grease, and corrosion.

Thanks Sonreir. Took her for a spin and ran into yet another problem. My right knee was getting shocked when touching the engine as if the spark plus were shorting out. Shortly after that the bike started idling rough and missing. This was not an issue when i first set out and I like to think the two are related.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom