Aftermarket Honda 360 Cam Chain Slipper and Tensioner - Pre-purchase

The marks look like they could be from the injection molding process. The rubber facing itself doesn't look to be too worn, though I suspect we might see a little bit of wear as things bed in.

Two things I figured out: The rubber is soft, and has no rebound. The pressure from the tension in the engine leave marks that remain when de-installed. I assume it smooths out during operation, though. I had an issue with my tensioner: it has a thin layer of hard rubber that was laminated to the softer rubber. That layer delaminated. In the pic, there is a chunk of overlap rubber that pulled off the exposed the edge of the laminated layer. It did not completely delaminate, so I peeled it the rest of the way off to see how well it was laminated. It was like pulling a sticker off of its backing.

(The first pic is brighter to show the chunk that came off.)

Attachments

• tensioner_01.jpg
    tensioner_01.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 489
  • tensioner_02.jpg
    tensioner_02.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 492
Thanks for the update, Eric.

The rest of you guys that are testing: Whether or not you continue is totally up to you, but if you do, please provide feedback as you are able. I'm working with the manufacturer to have these issues ironed out and more information will make the process easier.

Since mine look serviceable I will reinstall them and run around a bit. Not out anything I think to give them a try.

Put everything back in and adjusted everything. Fired up the bike and took it for a ride around the outskirts of my little town which is a good 6 miles. Gave it a decent workout through all RPM'S and speeds of crawling to 70 mph with sustained 30 and 55 mph for town limits.

I did notice right as I was a block from the house that the bike seemed by make a lot more cam chain noise than it did to start. I figure it probably needed the tension adjusted after that short run.

vagujepy.jpg

Front guide has little to no change from the first test, in fact I can't tell any difference.

e4ebehu3.jpg

The tensioner itself has gathered up a few more dimples from top to bottom now from the cam chain. I'm seeing a small defect in what is the top of the blade. The injected plastic w/e has pulled away slightly.

ju5y3y4a.jpg

gytu7y5u.jpg

u5a4aqys.jpg

Otherwise everything seems to be fine. I'm planning on trimming that little bit off and putting them back in and running them for a while. I may pull them again at around 25-30 miles just to see.

Anxiously awaiting to see how the bugs get chased out of these. Sonreir, you're doing the lord's work here, keep it up.

I've contacted the manufacturer with the issues we've seen in a few of these sets and they're investigating other material and production options. I should be getting a new set of prototypes in the next few weeks.

Little update holidays had my schedule all screwed up but still got a total of 50 miles put on her. Last run was around 30 miles running out hilly winding highway. Well winding for Oklahoma. Plenty of speed and hard pulls up hills. Then the 4th hit and I had to leave without looking.

Pulled the bike apart tonight and this is what I find.

8yvepybe.jpg

ju4u8yde.jpg

Front guide looks great, can hardly tell its been in the bike. Its so black its hard to get a good picture of it.

etyru7ag.jpg

myvygu2u.jpg

Rear tensioner blade still has dimples from the chain. Its starting to show some slight wear both top and bottom; more so on top.

Does your tensioner blade show the same laminated layer that mine did? Yours peeled away similarly at one end, but it doesn't seem to want to delaminate.

Far as I can tell there are two types of rubber, the wear surface and the stuff that I'm guessing was injection molded around the back and sides that attach the wear part to the metal. Mine has no dark black rubber on the wear surface. The one piece I did cut off was just filling a dent in the wear part. Nothing so far has shown that it wants to come apart. I've dug finger nails in all around the thing looking for something to come of but it hasn't so far.

Got eight more sample tensioner sets on the way from the manufacturer. Four different variations; two of each.

New batch of prototypes have arrived from my manufacturer. I have eight in total, four varieties and two of each. Volunteers needed. ;D

Think I'm gonna put these back in and run the full 100 and see where they are.

I was going to volunteer a test, but I fractured my foot July 5th and will have to be non-weight bearing on my left foot till September.

Fractured it riding my NH750. Slid on some gravel (did not go down, that stuff is easy to handle) but the toe of my shoe bumped the pavement, and tried to wrap around the foot peg.

So no riding for 2 months (missing the best of the season). However, I am following this thread in anticipation of success!!!

Ok, it's been a little while since we've gotten an update. Is there any news on the second round of testing and or new talks with the manufacturer to straighten out the issues that these guys have seen?

Thanks

Four sets of prototypes have been mailed out and I'm awaiting feedback from three of the four testers. Going a bit slower than expected as we haven't really had as many volunteers as we'd hoped.

I've been held up with the start of school, but I have a set from the second round that go in this weekend. Sorry so slow.

Test results are coming in.

One of the four new materials we're testing has done quite well. No visible wear.

Awaiting results from our other testers before we begin production.

Attachments

• 2014-08-21 22.43.08.jpg
    2014-08-21 22.43.08.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 2014-08-21 22.43.17.jpg
    2014-08-21 22.43.17.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 2014-08-21 22.43.25.jpg
    2014-08-21 22.43.25.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 328
Back
Top Bottom