Dirtbag Oil-Boiler

Ive been refurbishing this sweet stainless Yoshimura duplex. The slip fit collars were seized on the primaries and I broke two of them trying to get them off. I think its because they were aluminum and they corroded badly. I remade the collars in mild steel out of some scrap I had. I wire wheeled the whole header and then brushed it with some 220 to remove the blotches. It had some super tough corrosion on it from the pipe wrap. I need to add about an inch to the primaries to make this 750 header fit the B12 engine. It took some amateur bashing to get the dent out of the collector but it actually looks OK. The primaries and collector are the same diameter as the stock bandit header and after talking to Dale at holeshot this header sounds like it will work well with the jet kit and ignition advance I picked up.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 257
With exhaust change and right jetting a 1200 Bandit goes from (actual numbers) around 97~98 bhp at wheel to 117bhp at wheel. If you can get hold of a (I think 1997?GSXR 750) intake cam, with K&N dual filters, you should be getting very close to 140bhp at wheel (best dyno number I ever saw was 143bhp on 1200 Bandit)

Got the header welded up. Another reminder to myelf that welding thin wall (.035") stainless is real tricky. welds are not my best but it will work. The problem now is that the crossover cans touch the oil lines. Need to come up with a way to shield them. In other news; the front brakes and clutch are plumbed. I got the wiring harness temporarily figured out and I am very close to start up, just need to finish the mid-pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 262
Is that the original cooler or the B12? With oil lines touching exhaust pipe, it may be easier to add an extra smaller cooler into the mix to get extra surface area and change line routing? Suzuki did it with the race bikes before they went to water-cooled motors..

not sure how I just now stumbled upon this. Neat project for sure!

crazypj said:
Is that the original cooler or the B12? With oil lines touching exhaust pipe, it may be easier to add an extra smaller cooler into the mix to get extra surface area and change line routing? Suzuki did it with the race bikes before they went to water-cooled motors..

That’s the stock b12 oil cooler. Oddly enough it’s smaller than the 750 oil cooler. The B12 has a different oil pan so the 750 oil lines didn’t work with it. I really don’t want to spend anymore on the cooler or lines so this is where the dirtbag option needs to come in I think i can pull it back 1/2-3/4” with some zip ties and then wrap the oil line with Kevlar. Any other cheap options?

doc_rot said:
That’s the stock b12 oil cooler. Oddly enough it’s smaller than the 750 oil cooler. The B12 has a different oil pan so the 750 oil lines didn’t work with it. I really don’t want to spend anymore on the cooler or lines so this is where the dirtbag option needs to come in I think i can pull it back 1/2-3/4” with some zip ties and then wrap the oil line with Kevlar. Any other cheap options?

I'd likely use wire instead of the zip ties because of the temps right there. The Kevlar is a good idea.

They make SS ties, too. Looks like a good place for some reflective wrap, maybe even something to channel cool air through the area when moving.

If the 750 cooler is larger I would use it. Your going to have more power and heat just by changing exhaust system. I would probably make some kind of adapter block to fit 750 lines on Bandit sump.The motor has two oil pumps, one for high pressure (for plain bearings) the other is strictly for cooling and has higher volume

crazypj said:
If the 750 cooler is larger I would use it. Your going to have more power and heat just by changing exhaust system. I would probably make some kind of adapter block to fit 750 lines on Bandit sump.The motor has two oil pumps, one for high pressure (for plain bearings) the other is strictly for cooling and has higher volume

I completely agree with this idea but for the sake of getting this thing on the road im just going to run it as is for now. Im trying not to get caught up on the details on this one, so far i have not been doing a very good job.

once its on the road and vetted I will make changes where it seems fit.

doc_rot said:
I completely agree with this idea but for the sake of getting this thing on the road im just going to run it as is for now. Im trying not to get caught up on the details on this one, so far i have not been doing a very good job.

That's a good plan, I tend to get overloaded with details and take 'forever' to get stuff done. Guess I really am OCD ;D

Thats how my KZ1000 was and it took me 6 years to complete. My new axiom is "don't get it right, just get it running"

doc_rot said:

This^^^ Yes, Get it running and safe to ride asap. Then relax and upgrade as you see fit.

Fork brace and fender mount completed. Air filter caps painted and glued on with G-flex.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 270
I love that fender mount. Why didn't I think or that?..........................

teazer said:
I love that fender mount. Why didn't I think or that?..........................

+10 ;D I do have a 'solid' one I made and modified to run brake fluid through using 3 lines. Can't remember where it is off hand though (maybe on XS'800'?)

Finally getting back on this one while i save funds for my other projects. I finished chopping up the mid pipe. Not the most elegant routing, but I didn't have to buy any new material. needs a hanger now.

Attachments

• IMG_E0576.JPG
    IMG_E0576.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 198
Back
Top Bottom