MY GS 400 IN DIFFERENT STAGES

Floegstad

between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
Hi all! :)
Been around here for quite some weeks sucking up info and knowledge as i go.
I had serious plans to make a greeeeeeeat buildthread,but i killed my garage-computer the other day so i dont have much to come up with,but its early in the process so i can take more pic`s as i go!
Comments and advice as i go along is much appreciated!
I dont have much computer knowledge or photobucket so this can be exiting.......lol.
Well here goes!

Attachments

• 2013-08-09 12.01.15.jpg
    2013-08-09 12.01.15.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 465
  • 2013-09-21 13.11.58.jpg
    2013-09-21 13.11.58.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 472
  • 2013-09-29 11.06.59.jpg
    2013-09-29 11.06.59.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 463
  • 2013-10-05 15.27.12.jpg
    2013-10-05 15.27.12.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 480
Re: Its not gonna be a buildthread,but my gs 400 in different stages!

The first pic is how she looked the day i got her home
The second is after i reduced the lenght of the bike 22cm
The third one shows the loop attached (not completely welded yet)
The last one is of the result of my butched stock seat on for a wiev.

After this i have had a lot of personal issues with life, kids etc.etc, but that`s all right now,so i have done some further modifications (not much)
Made a:
-Rearfender
-chainguard
-cleaning up the frame
-Removing the melted original wiring
-Frontend swap

Attachments

• rearfender.jpg
    rearfender.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 459
  • frame cleanup.jpg
    frame cleanup.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 421
  • gs 400 USD`d.jpg
    gs 400 USD`d.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 422

I would really like to keep the original 18"wheels,but with the hard fitting to the usd,and that i just dropped my eyes on Big Richs fantastic 17" i sent my conti tck80 back for the same in 17".
Using the stock gsxr frontwheel, and the latest RGV 250 REARWHEEL wich have the same looks as the front!

Pulling it apart totally this weekend,grindind/sanding out the frame,look for a bandit 400 swingarm.
Will paint the frame in Cream/latte and the tank (fenders??) in shitbrown gold flake with white and orange stripes!
What do u think?

you're making me start to heavily consider a modern fork setup on my 1100, i've never payed attention to the differnce it makes in looks before.

Aha! Signed up on this one as well.

I mentioned in my 450 thread about the TKC sizes, but those were for the GS500 wheel sizes. How wide are the wheels you plan on using?

Hey Rich! I`m planning to go 4.00 or 110 front and rear on a 3./17 front wheel and 3.5/17 are what i am decided to stick with for now.(tirestretch with knobs 8).)
i am amazed about that Frankentwin project of Mekanix on the gsr.
Will try to get a hold of another engine with time and knowledge.

Jed: It gets a bit more beefier than stock,and looses that vintage feeling wich i might be missing ,but not for now.
I have KONI shocks in the rear wich are the same as i have used on a few of my middleweight bikes,
wery happy with them.

Interetsed to see where this will go. Lots of GS400 and GS425Es around when at college. Nice bikes.

Ian B.

Have a look at this chart to get a general idea of what fits what:

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

Ultimately though, the tire manufacturer should give recommendations for fitment (I looked at Continental's site and could not open their fitment guide). It seems to me that once you get lower profile tires ( as in /80, /70, etc) the fitment to proper wheels gets much more critical.

Oh yeah: Mekanix is the resident Suzuki parallel twin engine guru. Extremely knowledgeable fella.

In modern measurements i think it would be about 110/70-17" thats on its way from Germany.
It should fit a 3.0-3,5 wide rim as i see it,and yes the measurements are more critical to with on tire/rims the lower the profile gets.
I want to have quite some rubber when i love to throttle gravel roads.

Big Rich said:
Have a look at this chart to get a general idea of what fits what:

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

Ultimately though, the tire manufacturer should give recommendations for fitment (I looked at Continental's site and could not open their fitment guide). It seems to me that once you get lower profile tires ( as in /80, /70, etc) the fitment to proper wheels gets much more critical.

Oh yeah: Mekanix is the resident Suzuki parallel twin engine guru. Extremely knowledgeable fella.

Here is the link to the fitmentguide: http://www.conti-fitmentguide.com/
It loaded to my computer,but was wery confusing in layout

I would have been real happy right now if the RGV 250 gamma not had been rolling on a 4.5 rear rim wich they do :(
Then i have to look for a trade with my 5.5 mag for a 4.0 bandit 400 wheel!
Dropped by a twostroke friend of mine and shot a quick pic when i left the building!
Nr.1 ) yam rd 500
nr.2 (4stroke)
Nr.3Honda ns 400R
Nr4 Rg 500 (130 hp roadbike)
Nr.4 suzuki Rg 250 Not yvps
Nr.5 Suzuki Rgv 250 gamma
+ a "new" 88 mod rd 350
And a rg 500 engined rgv 250 trackbike......
After this visit i might end up with a rgt 250 for some labour.

Attachments

• DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 362
For some odd reason, my phone won't open their fitment guide.....and I'm almost never on a computer.

Cool garage!

Hey Rich! Been ddiving around at continental sites and they only shows what tires they make/recomend for each bike/model.
"Garage"! My friends run a Kawasaki dealership on jetskis,and when business went good he hit the internet and bought every twostroke(available/affordaable) he had his hands on or had a crush on growing up.
Wish i had that opportunity..
I`ve been wondering about removing the starter and put a small battery it the starterpit.
Would i get an heat issue,anyone tried this??

That might be a little bit too much heat for a battery. Plus, you have to figure a way to secure it down, and you definitely don't want the the positive terminal touching anything metal (not even the carbs!)

If I could remove my starter, I'd use the space for my tool kit or something.

Hey Hoosier!
Good to have you onboard sir!
Because of a lot of other projects( cars,snowblowers etc) i`ve had to have the bike rolling to move it around,but from this weekend it is a total tear down,shoes of and finish of the frame(new swingarm),offset sprocket to fit the gs 500 rear (if needed),wiring wich i am absolutely green at,and polishing of the motor!
When remowing the airfilter and using a 2-1 exhaust do anyone have any recomendations wich jets i should get a hold of??
Have allso concidered to swap the camshafts,but i am not sure yet if i`ll do anything with this engine or if i will get a new one to experiment on with time and knowledge! :-\

Back
Top Bottom