TX500 build

not since sunday... got roped into wedding planning stuff... have the electrician coming out to run power to my shed out back so i can put my oven and paint equipt out there... sick of my garage getting a dusting every time i powder or paint... then i will sand the seat and wet sand the tins...
my goals this week are:
- wet sand tins... and clear
- finish sand seat... primer and prep for paint
- pull off the rear wheel, clean, polish drum and drill it, paint spokes and hub... polish outter rim

this weekend:
- paint frame
- paint motor
- re wire bike

mock up rear sets

BUT... UFC is saturday... got to watch the fights!

well did a bit more tonight... i pulled off the rear wheel... started the prep work for paint... used 2 diff styles of fine wire wheels to get off all the crap and grime... then washed it in 3-1 water & simple green... tomorrow i will tape it all off and shoot the black... then after that sets up (about a week) i will polish out the chrome on the rim to bling like new... here are the pics... (I also tightened all the spokes on the front and rear wheel and ensured the it was true... i made a true'n stand using 2 jack stands... works great!

front wheel done rear wheel not:

1yoi79.jpg

Rear wheel before clean up:

zmeeef.jpg

rear wheel after clean up:

14lq6o0.jpg

2941dgo.jpg

ok... so i got the rear wheel painted.. and a bunch of powder coating done... i got in this new high gloss black... it is AWESOME!!!!... in fact i was so excited to try it i shot it first... one piece... then i shot a ton extra in a white... i left just a touch of the black powder in the gun after cleaning it... i was hoping this would give me a touch of black speckle in the white... it worked! ... in all honesty i cleaned my gun between coats in a rush... took the girls to the bar... came home and did not finish cleaning it... loaded the white and started to shoot... after the first piece came otu of the oven i was like CRAP!!! wait... that looks pretty cool! so i shot everything i wanted done this way tonight... here it all is... tomorrow i am going to bust out the new brass color i got in... i am thinking just a few small touches like the sprocket... and maybe the bowels on the carbs... maybe even the spings on the shocks... we will see how it looks after i shoot a part or two... here are some pics

eakz1x.jpg

got to stay organized
4qhcuc.jpg

2egdyqs.jpg

you can see the black speckles
2en41ok.jpg

3492uzl.jpg

j5w306.jpg

how is that for high gloss black!!!
2eyyjxz.jpg

XDK... just one prep is the key brother...

so tonights progress... got the motor out of the frame... THANKS to a little help form the little bro... it was a @#$@ for some reason... need to get that all figured out before i put it back in... ya yaya ya tried to lay it on its side and all that crap.... any other ideas to get it back in smooth? got all the un nessassary metal cut off the frame... will body grind it tomorrow and simple green it... get it ready for paint.... motor, going to hit that wiht 500* high gloss black... do you think 500 is enough? i know my HD cuts out at like 365 or somehting... i would rahter use 1200 degree but no where around me has it in gloss it is all flat black... I want the bling....
well i also tried out a new powder caot... brass... in all it looks like a flat gold but still has a sparkle to it... not completely sold on it yet... i may try a gloss clear powder over it to see if i can get a bit of debth to it with that... or i may jsut leave it.... or get rid of the brass all together.... (least that is what the girlfriend says but she wants a few days to think about it before i change it) but here are the pics of the stuff i did tonight...

ordered new tach and speedo... small ones... fork boots are on the way as well... but need some ideas if you guys have anythign i am missing???? i am thinking of a stearing stabilizer... and still not sure what to do about rear shocks...

brass powder (no clear powder over it)...
2dl2j4x.jpg

drilled out the side case for the motor and did a fade in the powder from the polished alum to the brass... the rest of the side cases and heads will be polished up... I needed a way to tie in the polished front forks cause i love how they look! so i figure the engine cases polished as well with a brass fade... did the starter cover in full brass
4qquso.jpg

battery box (black to brass fade) .... starter cover, fork headlight ears hardware
v3zryq.jpg

123kyuw.jpg

the whole reason i ordered brass was to do the sprocket... then i just kept going
2ihs202.jpg

did the inside of the floating rotor to match the sprocket...
do9jxf.jpg

parts seperated and bagged... bolts will all be polished up as i open the bags... then i have to tackle all that wire back there... i need to figure out how to run bare bones... only having a headlight and tail lights (brakes and maybe rear turns)... need to figure out how to wire this sucker
25h1kzd.jpg

Motor and frame, both very little work done to as of yet
11ruhk1.jpg

nx5h14.jpg

all the crap so far (except carbs) I also drilled out the belt guard... no idea why
9vlf20.jpg

everything done thus far:

280qwau.jpg

That looks very similar to the pile of stuff I have done for mine. Just my opinion, but that brass looks more gold than brass. Not sure that was the look you were going for and I would redo (my $.02). Love the progress you are making though.

well was not feeling the bronze the way it sat... so i cleared all the parts i did... WOW what a diff! now it has some depth to is and the bronze has a natural metal sparkle that just ROCKS!!! I am going to keep them... i think it will be good to just have a few pieces done in a color that no one else will have

Before (starter cover has been cleared sprocket has not in this pic)
309legk.jpg

After:
2ekk680.jpg

16a8p4w.jpg

all the parts
20jl6id.jpg

got the motor all drained... CRAP LOAD OF OIL IN THAT SUCKER!!!! WOW... tonight i will get the motor all cleaned and painted... then media blast the frame as well... do have to give a shout out to my advice guy... www.thepowderpro.com

well last night i stripped my frame... tossed the frame into the truck and hit the local power washer... first hit it with engine cleaner... let that sit for 20 min... then power washed it off... then hit it wiht some air craft stripper, let that sit... now i have done this SEVERAL times as my media blaster charges 100+ per frame... usually it works tops!!! well it was 20* outside so all the stripper froze to the metal... after i let it sit for 1/2 hour i was able to blast alot of it off but then i had to go home and use the wire wheel and grinder to get the rest of it off... i think i am going to powder the frame bronze to match the other parts... depends if my buddy will let me use his oven... i took the swing arm off and used the buffing wheel... got the swing arm all polished up nice!
tonight I will keep grinding on the frame (my angle grinder kicked the bucket last night) so i still have alot to do in the way of grinding... i ended up cutting off my center stand... i have a lift and will never need it... besides i am selling this bike as soon as spring comes...
going to do the same thing to the motor tonight... with any luck i will be able to paint the motor thurs or fri and the frame the same (unless i powder coat it)
no pics...was to tired... i will take some tonight when i get home... the swing arm looks SICK!!!!

ok... how about some pictures... tonight i got the frame stripped down a bit more... it is good enough to where i need it to epoxy paint it... not going to powder coat this frame... unless it does not warm up then i will HAVE TO!!!! hell even my spray booth/shed out back will not seem to heat up... sucks, may have to insulate it, but that is where the oven is going for the powder booth too so who knows... anyway... frame is set to go, still have to clean up the chain guard... POLISHED the HELL out of my swing arm and brake support bracket deal... BLING! looks great, love having the buffing wheel saves me a ton of elbow grease just got to be careful not to burn it...
after i got done wiht that... i cleaned up my work area to prepare to start on the motor, clean up and with any luck just some powder coating... but we will see what i get when i crack it open... took the rest of my stuff inside where i got the fooseball table, no need to keep getting dust on all that crap
so here are some pics

Facial view frame:
15hj1id.jpg

Side pro frame/ belt guard is laid on top there
1zzqcdg.jpg

All cleaned up ready to start the motor:
14vsns0.jpg

a bit iffy on the white now.. but tins are up out of harms way
2wf7qjn.jpg

check out that swing arm... BLING!!!!
wvpk74.jpg

315jr00.jpg

ok... so i lied... going to powder the frame... Thanks to JoeyCocks's buddy Sean letting me use his oven!!! THANKS GUYS!!!

i figure why not... just can not decide... do i want to do WET black or Bronze...
what you guys think?
here are the colors:

wet black:
2eyyjxz.jpg

Bronze:
309legk.jpg

Now bear in mind my swing arm is polished as are my lower forks and engine side cases... so if i go bronze should i also fade the swing arm from the bronze to polished like i did the side case on the motor? (head covers will also be bronze)

4qquso.jpg

Black would tie everything together and give you some choices if you want to change the stuff colored white to something else. The bronze frame might be a bit much of that color.

what if i went BLACK on the side covers and the tank... I would then have to recoat my headlight ears, headlight bucket, upper and lower trees, and risers... sounds like alot but is really not that bad... I am feeling the bronze though... think the white has to go, and bronze has to stay!

My vote is for black.

And...

1zzqcdg.jpg

Your girlfriend (wife?) is really understanding, my wife made me finish her bike before I could take on another project...

JRK5892 said:
what if i went BLACK on the side covers and the tank... I would then have to recoat my headlight ears, headlight bucket, upper and lower trees, and risers... sounds like alot but is really not that bad... I am feeling the bronze though... think the white has to go, and bronze has to stay!

That would look very good I think.

dbarale said:
My vote is for black.

And...

Your girlfriend (wife?) is really understanding, my wife made me finish her bike before I could take on another project...

ha ha ha ha well i have built 2 bikes for Maria already... she has a GSXR600 - full pipe, geared, air shifter, LED kit, LOTS of cabon fiber, lots of powder coating, lowered, and LED kit... she did not want me to change the "look of this bike" she likes having a "Sleeper" and she just pops though those gears like no ones busn
bi0wom.jpg

she also has a Virago - apes, pro flow cables, grips mirrors, lowered, gears, open exhaust, custom K&N intake, LED kit, saddle bags, shield, HID healight converted in Harley lamp, fog lights, LED turn sigs, LED kit... this bike will get painted this winter but that will only take me a day

v6oj83.jpg

Back
Top Bottom