Registering a bike that you do not have the ownership papers for in Ontario

That raises one critical point - choose the right MOT office. I try to use smaller out of the way offices, finding them much more helpful and understanding of the 'it's been in the shed for 20 years' stories.

Tintin said:
That raises one critical point - choose the right MOT office. I try to use smaller out of the way offices, finding them much more helpful and understanding of the 'it's been in the shed for 20 years' stories.

Agreed. I find the Downsview office in Toronto much easier that the big service ontario ones.

Tim said:
Possession is 9/10 bud :) My Glock is the other 1/10 ;)

bah... glocks are for rappers and piss poor shooters. i prefer my Remington 870 18" barrel and solid mp5 stock. no plastic shit like the glock

Its that easy to get a replacement ownership?

I have backed out of some SWEET deals because of lack of paperwork. Wish I knew that back then!

Wow...

for example.. a 1977 Bombardier moped for 80$. only missing a headlight.. Engine turning and minimal rust... No paperwork...

Hoser said:
I registered a Jensen-Healey for $10. No ownership. No receipt. No problem.

I brought the VIN with me to a license office in Barrie that had a Notary public on staff. Told her that I had paid for the car from the previous owner, and had stored the car for two years. Told her that the owner was nowhere to be found, no forwarding address. Gave her the last known address. Before you ask he had lost the ownership. Apparently satisfied with my story I was told to raise my right hand and swear out an affadavit testifying to the truth of my story. 5 minutes later I had an ownership and a UVIP.

BTW the license office in Alliston Ontario is very helpful as well, I highly recommend them.
I did one that was almost that easy too!!! Except I had to go to city hall, and get a notery to sign for me. The key to making everything easy, is to pick up a bike which has not been registered for at least 2 years. You fill out your affivit stating that you bought the bike 2 years ago (or more) with the frame, and engine numbers. You lost the reciept, blablah, and now you want get an ownership in your name. My bike hadn't been registered in 10 yrs. I had an ownership for that old bike, in my name, in minutes!!! In Kitchener, go to the Krug street office. They are open till 1 on Saturdays (but can be busy) They now have a notery on staff. Stay away from the Davenport office in Waterloo!!! Those biatches think they know it all, and will be a pain in the ass!

so I recently picked up a bike that had no papers. I've been sitting with it for a little bit and finally got the vehicle abstract, Contacted the last registered owner, and had the weirdest conversation with them... almost sketchy. Last time it had been registered was in 98. Wish i would of read this thread prior!!

the bike is lacking carb, airbox, panels, kickstart and has been been sitting out for 2 years now (best of my knowledge, could of been even longer) rusting away due to rain and snow.

What can happen in this situation!!

I currently have a non running 72 CB750 that I'm fixing up for Spring. All I got is a signed piece of paper transferring ownership and a biz card of previous owner before that(salvage yard). So at this point I need to record all parts cost, make a list, swear it's true, get it legally signed then go to the Ministry of Transportation to get proper ownership?

Holiday said:
I currently have a non running 72 CB750 that I'm fixing up for Spring. All I got is a signed piece of paper transferring ownership and a biz card of previous owner before that(salvage yard). So at this point I need to record all parts cost, make a list, swear it's true, get it legally signed then go to the Ministry of Transportation to get proper ownership?

First step is to run the VIN through the MTO and hopefully get a UVIP. Try to contact last registered owner, but you probably won't find him. Then fill out the form attached to the first post and get it notarized. Then take the UVIP, bill of sales and affidavit to the MTO, I use the Weston office, and get new papers.

My buddy just got an ownership for a bike last week. He had no clue on how to get it done, and actually doesn't listen to advice too well. He went to the licence office on Manitou dr. in Kitchener. They have an notiery public on staff. She guided him through the process. Take the s/n with you and say you have a bike you bought for parts, and want to use the frame. (that is what she told him to say) If you say it's a motorcycle, you will have to probably get it appraised, and then pay the taxes on the appraisel. She told him what to write on the form. He said he paid $100 for it. He paid for the used vehicle package, a lost ownership, and taxes on $100, and walked out with an ownership in his name.

I have downloaded both files and Microsoft Word says that they are corrupt and will not open them. Anyone else having any trouble? :-\

Does this process work even if the bike has never been registered in ontario before?? I have a bike from the states that has never been registered since it was brought up from south dakota, would they accept one of the affadavits if they look into the UVIP and see there has been no evidence of the bike being registered in ontario?

I am in the same shoes missing US title. I think I am going to go to one of those friendly offices and give it a try.

It is a PITA, but it can be done. Like mentioned before it is all about the right office and getting the right person at the right time.

I went to three different locations with the same story...

"I bought a parts bike that I plan to rebuild but before I start putting money into it, and I want to get it registered in my name” All I had was a bill of sale from the person I bought it from. The MOT would not accept it because the bike had not been registered since the 80's and had been passed along a few people that did not bother to register it and the guy I bought it from was not the legal registered owner. Therefore I was out of luck and they could not do anything for me.

MOT in a smaller town was very helpful. They told me I had to get a sellers package ($10) to run the Vin# and make sure it had no liens or reported stolen. So I did and it was good and clear. Next, I needed a paper trail of receipts linking the original owner to the guy I bought it from then to me.

I asked how in the world can I get in touch with the original owner? Person behind the counter wisped “just make it up” and come back with your receipts.

That was it.

(disclaimer: it worked for me, doesn’t mean it was right or legal. Every situation is different, use at your own risk)

What are you guys doing when you go to search for a 7 digit VIN?

Do you just ask for the UVIP for the 7 digits? or ?

I have a couple frames I want to go through this process with and wondering where to start.
I'm going to try and get the UVIP package for each one, then work forward from there.

But, I'm fairly sure the clerk is going to shit a brick when they see a 40 year old frame with a 7 digit VIN.

If your bike doesn't have a previous Ontario title, and doesn't show up in a UVIP search (which you can do online now) then you need the affadavit notarized saying you bought it from so and so for so much. That's it, and the MTO will then do the same VIN search you did, find nothing, and create a title for you.

I stick to the smaller regional MTO offices when I can just because they're less busy - especially when calling to ask a question. I'll let you know how it goes when I go in with a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin for a 2012 Voodoo Vintage frame to get a title :) Frame is here, and MSO is in the mail so should be next week.

Tim said:
If your bike doesn't have a previous Ontario title, and doesn't show up in a UVIP search (which you can do online now) then you need the affadavit notarized saying you bought it from so and so for so much. That's it, and the MTO will then do the same VIN search you did, find nothing, and create a title for you.

You need more than just a bill of sales and affidavit. MTO wants 2 letters (one from a dealer and the other can be from any motorcycle shop) verifying you own the bike with that VIN. You need to bring the bike and show them. This prevents anyone from just fabricating a VIN from thin air. I just went through this with my SL350.

Oh - didn't know that. Been a while since I had to do it. Somehow I've always managed to 'find' a bill of sale in the name of the last registered owner on the UVIP. Haven't had a bike not previously registered so hasn't been an issue yet.

^^^+1

I went to the MTO today, presented my VIN's and surprise "No record". :mad:

So, I got the affidavit info sheet they give you. I downloaded the affidavit from the top of this thread...and filled one out for each VIN.

They did say I should get a letter from a Honda dealer stating that I have possession of a frame with the specified VIN and that it was a valid VIN for 1972...I'll try to do that this weekend at KW Honda. See if one of the guys there can do it for me. They said if you don't get the letter they will issue a new VIN entirely and the bike will be considered a 2012. :eek:

If they are too busy can anyone here whip me up a letter? I would be happy to send pics of the VIN and some evidence it is in my possession....anyone here work for an Ontario Honda dealer?

Back
Top Bottom