Schott Jackets

andoor

Been Around the Block
I am thinking of getting one partly because of this discount:

http://www.bikeexif.com/schott-jacket

I Have heard stories of their old jackets lasting forever. What do you guys think of the new ones. I want to be sure of the quality before I spend 500+ on a jacket.

Sizing is important also. My suit size is like a slim fitting 34 and I have long arms.

Thanks

Dont know about the new ones.. Arent they made in China now a days?... But I love my old 60's Perfecto 1-Star, made in the good ol US of A

locOsPerfecto613-b.jpg

locO leoN said:
Dont know about the new ones.. Arent they made in China now a days?

Don't spread false rumors. The main line of classic Schott jackets are still made in New York by hand. See their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/schottnyc?ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=195344&id=147183772532

Yes, their textile and non-leather products are made in China but who cares? You're buying Schott for the leather.

My Schott is from the 80s'....... still looks great. I think they made a cheaper line in the past also...... believe it was the Excelled brand. Could be wrong....... how about it Leon....... ??? ??? ???.

dewjantim said:
My Schott is from the 80s'....... still looks great. I think they made a cheaper line in the past also...... believe it was the Excelled brand. Could be wrong....... how about it Leon....... ??? ??? ???.

TO be honest, Im not sure..
I thought Excelled was a Canadian Brand...

DrJ would know....

Incidently.. As much as I love that jacket, I've decided to list it up for sale if anyone is interested:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=18137.0

dewjantim said:

Yes, Schott did produce a cheaper line of jackets in the 80s called Dur O Jac. The tanning and finishing was different than the classic Schotts to save on production costs. No, Excelled is another manufacturer. Although their jackets were good, they weren't as good as Schott.

So, I have started my vintage leather jacket collection, 4 thus far. I am curious about a few things and I know there are a couple guys here that are more of a collector than me.
Currently on Ebay there is a 60's Schott "cycle rider" 1 star jacket. I have also seen Perfecto 1 star's listed by clothes horse Leon, so whats the deal? What makes these jackets different? With that said, what makes these jackets different from other 60's Brando style jackets, and who's to say you couldn't slap a silver star on each shoulder and call it a 1 star.
Please excuse my ignorace, and I am certaily not disrespecting anyone.

For my collection thus far, I have found some pretty good deals on non high dollar name brands and have been very happy. Each of my 4 jackets I have gotten on Ebay for under $50 bucks a piece, give or take. When the times comes to up my buying dollars to high priced jackets, I want to know what seperates a 1 star from a "knock off".
But, in all honesty, I am not so much worried about the tag under the collar that nobody can see, I would rather have 4 cool jackets for the price of a high dollar brand.

Cycle Rider was a brand made by Schott for a while.

Schott has an awesome online forum - Gail on their site will answer all sorts of questions about old jackets. Check it out for real specific info about jackets, including when they were made, colors etc.

The 1-star business is discussed a lot - I don't know anything about them, but you're right, you can just slap stars on them.

I wouldn't spend $400 on a 'real' 1-star Schott. It's the same as any $50 Schott in the same style.

Collecting jackets is a great hobby. Ebay makes it so easy to find what you want. It just takes a little (or a lot) of time and patience to find what you want at a good price. I still have my origional Brando style jacket.... my dad got it for me in 1979. It is made by Esprit and still fits me :eek: :eek: :eek:....

Attachments

• Boots, Jackets, and Helmets....025.JPG
    Boots, Jackets, and Helmets....025.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 364
Back
Top Bottom