Such thing as a 5 button visor?

pawn

Over 1,000 Posts
I had the unfortunate experience of wind ripping my bubble visor off today while riding in traffic doing 50. I did move over and lock up so I could try and get it before it got run over...which it did get run over by a truck no less and somehow managed to stay intact. I can still use it, but this is the second time it's come off. The first time I was going slower but the wind was pretty heavy that day, and also once on I95 it started to come off while I was going near 70mph. I caught it that time though.

Anyway, I have the rockhard american classic helmet which has 5 points for attachment rather than only three. The bubble visor is fine when looking directly forward, but I cant turn my head or wind catches underneath. I'm hoping to find a visor with 5 butting snaps...doesn't have to be a bubble either.

thanks for the links man, I wound up ordering the western power... from Moto superstore. I don't really care if I get the bubble shield, I just want something for night riding when I'm at higher speeds so it doesn't come flying off.

Make your current visor have the two extra snaps! Just drill a small hole in both sides and attach a small strip of leather to each side using rivets, then place snaps on the ends of the leather bits to snap to the helmet snaps.....bada bing bada boom and Robert is you mother's brother!

yeah I had that thought as well, and also thought of dremeling in slots so I can attach a strap and run it through the goggle stay on the back of the helmet. The two buttons on the side would be good. but then I'd have to find buttons and grommet them in...I don't have a grommet press at home.

those cheap snap presses that you hammer the dies are only a few buck at a craft or fabric store... they'll come with dies & maybe 10 snap sets.

Lock is right, that is how I did all of mine, a small hammer press came in the pack of snaps I bought for like $5 at Lowes!

pawn said:
yeah I had that thought as well, and also thought of dremeling in slots so I can attach a strap and run it through the goggle stay on the back of the helmet. The two buttons on the side would be good. but then I'd have to find buttons and grommet them in...I don't have a grommet press at home.

I do leatherwork for a living. for the price of a beer, I'd be more than happy to shoot you over some leather straps with a snap button on the end.

no worries goggles, I don't really even know how much I'd need,...it's only a small 3/8 gap and I already ordered the 5snap visor. I greatly appreciate the offer however! I wish I could do leatherwork. I took a class on it when I was 13 but never went anywhere with it.

I didn't feel like doing real work today so I whipped these up real quick. Just as proof of concept really. You think anybody would be interested in them?

They're 3" center to center from the button to the visor mount. The snap is a brass military grade, so it should stand up to the weather. The visor attachment is a barrel bolt. All that's required is to drill a small hole in the visor.

Attachments

• IMG_9068.JPG
    IMG_9068.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_9070.JPG
    IMG_9070.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 237
that's so awesome dude! You could for sure sell those. How do you mount the strap to the visor though, is that piece a screw type post?

i would add though, that the distance between the button and what I think is the optimum mounting point on the visor is a bit shorter than three inches. I think 2" would be best just so if the wind does buffet too much and the upper snaps release the 3" would allow the visor to move around a lot.

pawn said:
i would add though, that the distance between the button and what I think is the optimum mounting point on the visor is a bit shorter than three inches. I think 2" would be best just so if the wind does buffet too much and the upper snaps release the 3" would allow the visor to move around a lot.

I figured they'd be a bit off. I'm sure the distance varies between brands of helmets and visors.

The visor mount side is a screw post like you said. Basically makes a sandwich with the visor and the leather.

Back
Top Bottom