72 Suzuki GT380

interceptor

Coast to Coast
Well, it seems that I have caught the 2 stroke bug. After finishing my Suzuki TS185 (not a resto) I knew I wanted something just a little bit bigger. After some research and looking, I found a 72 GT380 locally and went over and picked it up. Well I should say I picked up the first load of parts. I'll pick up the rest next Tuesday. I didn't know it when I was going to pick it up, but there is really 2 bikes that I am buying, less 1 engine. I won't even tell you what I picked it up for, but I will say it would probably make most jealous. The PO was obviouslly trying to make 1 complete running bike, but lack of funds and time said otherwise.... and thats when I came in.
Don't have any pictures yet, but I will. Oh, he also gave me a 73 front wheel with complete disc brake setup and a Clymer manual. Not doing a restoration here just putting it back together and getting it running and functioning properly (i.e. 'rat bike'). Lots of new stuff I'll be tackling here: Disc brakes, 2 stroke multi cylinder engines, ect. Pics will come as soon as I organize what I actually have right now, which may take a few days :)

Please share what you might know about these bikes that may help me out, good or bad.

My dad had one of those at the same time I had a TS185. (The 185 was his first, and he gave it to me when he moved up to the 380.)

Good bike. Good power. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

ADC,
Thats two for two now. Either you have had every bike ever made, or it's just pure coincidence ;) Really love the TS185. It's alot of fun just to ride around town. It always starts, has just enough power to make me happy, and is pretty good on gas. I filled the tank after I cleaned it and I still have fuel in there. My 4 year old son always wants to go around the subdivision when he see's it parked in the garage ;)
Ok, now on to the 380 2 smoke. What a great little bike. Really looking forward to putting this thing back together. The guy who I'm buying it texted me and said he had 3 tanks, 2 seats and 4 sets of pipes. Also has 1 set from a 550. WOW! Thats alot of parts. Pics to come, stay tuned.

Back in that period, I worked in a Suzuki shop, so I've had several 'Zukes from that era. Yeah, I'm THAT old!

I loved the 185. I liked it better than the older TS250 I had. The 250 was a lot heavier. My favorite of all the Suzukis I had was a TM125. It was the first pure motocross bike from Suzuki. The next year they came out with the RM125. It had long-travel suspension, and was vastly superior.

"Yeah, I'm that old!". Ha, I know what you mean. I just got back into skateboarding after a 21 year hiatus, and it's hard to talk to the guys at the skateshop because they weren't even born when I skated.
Hopefully you won't mind if I call upon your expertise?

Pics. I can't believe how much there is here. Like I said, that was load one. Second load will consist of a roller with engine and exhaust, 3 tanks and two seat, more exhaust pipes and wheels and tires. I was really happy to find a key switch w/key, tach and speedo and the digital readout for which gear you are in. There is also about 3 sets of points, a new chain, new battery, engine gasket and seal kit, another 380 head, used pistons, new rings, crank seals, Clymer manual, tool sets, 4 battery trays with all electronics still attached, 3 headlights, a 72 tach and speedo, controls, cables, brake stuff, and soooo much more. Extra frame is still in my car :) I even have some GT550 stuff. Looking forward to picking bike up on Tuesday and start putting this thing back together.
http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/ssievers/GT380/

This has me stumped. Anybody know what this is for? I have 2 of them.
10.jpg

Oh, fer fuck sake...

ANYbody can tell you that is an early prototype for a flux capacitor.

SHEESH!!

Looks like a beeper that's attached to a front indicator bulb socket. I seem to recall a reference to them over on the Sundial forum

That's easy. In the box it came in. ;-)

It's not stock and it's not needed.

Yesterday I powerwashed the frame, swing arm and center stand.
5-1.jpg

This morning I put it together.
7-1.jpg

Also spent 15 minutes cleaning up the faded and yellowed gauge faces.
6-1.jpg

Gauges turned out pretty good, at least I think so. Tonight I did pick up the other bike and spare parts. Included was a good condition tank, another tank, 2 seats, wheels and various parts. Looks like I have about 3 or 4 sets of GT380 pipes and a set of GT550 pipes.

Today was pretty productive. I was searching for some parts last night and I found new clips for the side covers. So now that those are mounted properly, I got busy this morning and painted side covers black, wiring harness striped from parts bike and installed on this bike, oil tank cleaned and installed, air box put back together and installed (to see how it fits), found the other spring for the rear brakes (installed now), coils mounted, forks tube caps installed (thank you donor bike), original tool kit put in place, rear brake cable installed, seat latch installed and started polishing the chrome. I know I said I wanted this to be a rat bike, but honestly it's too nice. Seat has no major rips, tank is not to bad, most of the chrome is is really good condition, and it's easy to paint frame :)
On the flip side, I did find out that my top fork clamp is cracked, so a new one is necessary. And I don't think my 72 wiring harness will accomidate for the digital gear readout, so I may have to use the 72 gauge cluster. I would also like to find a set of blinkers that actually work. I think i have most of the parts to put mine back together, but it's just as easy now to swap them with ones that actually work.

Next week I will clean and powerwash the engine while it's in the donor bike. Once that is totally clean, I will swap to the 73 frame. Carbs need to be taken apart and cleaned. (Luckily, included in the sale are new carb rebuild kits.) Then it's onto changing points with the new ones, hooking up electrical connections, changing trans oil, installing new battery, clean and install exhaust, hook up the oil feed line, yadda yadda yadda. Lots to do still, but making huge progress.

I think it's pretty cool that the 73 frame had tapered roller bearings for the front end. (Cleaned and regreased those as well.) I also like how Suzuki engineered the rear wheel assembly to just slide out of the swing arm, so you don't have to take the whole darn thing apart like I had to do on my CB350. It made installing my other brake shoe spring about a 3 minute job. No pics today as I just didn't really think about it because I was to concerned about getting as much done as I could.
We had some wind come through last week and it knocked down a tree of a homeowner on the golf course I work at. They called us and told us that it was our tree. Well it wasn't, it was clearly theirs. I asked them if they needed it taken care of, and we agreed on a price. So that took care of the purchase price of the bike. Amount of money I've put into bike now is $.72. I bought some clips to install badges on the side covers ;D

Back
Top Bottom