socal cb360T build

ariel.714 o/c

Monkey see monkey do is all i see now days!
I always wanted a 1970's bike. I came up on a great find, i found this 1976 honda cb 360T with only 3,000 miles. This bike has ben sitting since 1983, this is the year i was born so i had to have it. Rumor has it that the original owner passed away leaving all his belongings to his best friend. Do to this the bike sat for 27 years in dry condition. This is where i come in !!!
The day my baby came home
2010-07-07145541.jpg

I know i know compared to some of your bikes on hear i scored a clean one!!!!!!!!
My Girls riding in the wind
2010-07-07174007.jpg

Cosmetically the bike was in great condition,but mechanically there were issues. The carbs looked like someone had melted red opium all over them.These things were sealed shut , i mean i soaked them for two days and the choke would still not open. i tought by spraying wd40 and hammering them with a rubber mallet would brake them loose and it did . i broke them loose alright the swivel literally broke. A little word of advice if you are reading and planing on wrenching on an old bike be, patient ,take your time,and read up on your bike. These things are 30 years + you cant just go to honda and try buying the part you broke. On that note i learned my lesson early on on my build. i had to buy a spare carb to complete my original one.I am a cheep bastard so spending money on a complete part for just a small pice drives me nuts.
The infamous tar Heroin all up in my carbs
securedownload-1.jpg

after cleaning and the broken piece im pointing at
securedownload-2.jpg

Thanks to ebay and craigslist i was able to track a spare carb for cheap (cause im a cheap bastard and i swindle) :D

I had bad compression so i knew i was having to pull the motor out and find out why.
2010-07-31013039.jpg

2010-07-31013055.jpg

DO to my astonishing discoveries i realized one piston was having trouble moving so i pulled the pistons and realized the rings had the same red crud stuck to the piston. This caused the piston to be stuck in place with resistance. Lucky for me the cylinder housing was in good shape with no scouring ;)
2010-08-03231749.jpg

So i ordered a set of new rings and cleaned the pistons.
2010-08-04003831.jpg

After a little elbow grease
After pulling the engine, and coming across some awsome forums like DTT, and Honda twins . i was inspired to go for the gusto and build her up from the ground up . All or nothing. I had the cafe inbeded in my head three years or so before i bought thes bike . i mean i would wake up in the middle of the night and have honda cb nightmares seriously obsessed !!!! :eek:

I decided to paint strip my crank case and polish all the aluminum parts to my bike. This is a before pic.
securedownload-5.jpg

hear are some after images
securedownload-4.jpg

securedownload-7.jpg

Next i knew i wanted to powder coat my rims blk. so i striped them down and sent them out. A little word of advice if you send out chrome to be powder coated make sure you ask them if they chrome strip, Because if they dont you will have trouble with out gassing.
2010-10-06165210.jpg

im super happy with the resoult, i also polished off the hubs.

Does any one know what size washer this is? Its to the right hand crank case where the kick starter goes. I cant find it!!!
2010-08-09115342.jpg

Im down to a bare frame planing on removing side tabs and debating on powder coating the frame.
2010-08-14201049.jpg

So i putt paint striper on the frame, and then went to the do it yourself car wash, to use the pressure washer. This worked great butt with only one flaw . The paint striper splashed on me and burned the life out of me lol. Just picture me trying to spray my face with a pressure washer! witch hurts worst acid burning your face or high powerd water spraying your face! you just had to be there . My four year old daughter was watching me hurt my self, and getting a kick out of it. I am glad some one did!!!!!!

i have a lot of help from my junior mechanic!!
2010-08-16133214.jpg

My son likes to hang in the garage and move things around saying i fixed it dad. Classic!!!

So i have been debating on wanting to buy some cl 360 pipes. To cut weight and, see what my build would look like with that type of set up. Do to low funds i sort of gave up on this. But If any one out there has a set of them for a decent price let me know!

So i laced my rims. i was scratching the powder coat. Turns out if your fighting the spokes there probably going in the wrong hole.
Dustin kott and his girl friend schoold me on this. Thats right boys a girl showed me how to lace a rim!!! Brother Kott trains them well. Now if i could only teach my wife what a wratchet wrench is i would be in business.
2010-10-08132455.jpg

If you dont know about kott motorcycles look him up. This guy is the classiest dude you will ever meet in your life. Not to mention he builds the baddest bikes in L.A. He is a honda wizz and gets geeked on talking cafe cbs. Loveum.He will be responsible for my seat. so when you see it you will know who to call.

i finished up putting together my engine and painted it black
2010-10-25173627.jpg

2010-10-25173732.jpg

painted my shocks and engine . Then mounted my engine
2010-11-03230610.jpg

i also got my rims back from truing and mounted the back rim.
ohhhhhhhhhhhh im getting close i can almost smell the gasoline burning.
2010-11-05135521.jpg

2010-11-05143342.jpg

i still need to buy clip ons,a chain,fork gators,and a front head light.

check the latest . i got my clip ons and head light . im not realy liking the chrome on the head light. i am thinking of painting it black.
What do you guys think? feel free to chime in on some thoughts.
Photo-0057.jpg

I had my friend shane help me photo shop some pics to see what the bucket would look like black. What do you guys think?
Picture8.png

blk w/ chrome lip and all blk.
Picture9-1.png

the chrome is growing on me, i would still like to hear your input.
2010-11-30111655-1.jpg

I'd paint the bucket. The front is kind of bling heavy compared to the rear. If the rear wheel and tail lamp is polished or chrome it might balance out too. Looking great.

I agree with crescent, paint the bucket. Leave the ring chrome though. You will still have some bling on the front but not so overstated. Bike is looking great.

CrescentSon said:
I'd paint the bucket. The front is kind of bling heavy compared to the rear. If the rear wheel and tail lamp is polished or chrome it might balance out too. Looking great.

I was thinking the same thing its off setting my black it would help tie it in more. My hubs are polished, butt i want to balance it off with black in the front. cool i needed a secondary opinion thanks

krayz said:
I agree with crescent, paint the bucket. Leave the ring chrome though. You will still have some bling on the front but not so overstated. Bike is looking great.
Agreed this was my plan if id did paint the bucket. Or maybe all black and a chrome head light visor .

Agreed. Paint the bucket. The engine came out looking good. And I'm digging on that seat.

It's actually Vancouver, Wa. Just the other side of the Columbia River from Portland, OR. We call it Vantucky because of the concentration of rednecks afoot. I used to live in Portland which is much more my kind of town. My sister is moving down to LA, so I'm sure I'll be seeing more of SoCal the next few years.

IndieSol said:
Agreed. Paint the bucket. The engine came out looking good. And I'm digging on that seat.

It's actually Vancouver, Wa. Just the other side of the Columbia River from Portland, OR. We call it Vantucky because of the concentration of rednecks afoot. I used to live in Portland which is much more my kind of town. My sister is moving down to LA, so I'm sure I'll be seeing more of SoCal the next few years.

Ahhh i see. i saw where you where from and i was left scratching my head. I went to Canada once when i was younger. i have family in Toronto. when you make it down to LA hit me up. Thanks i wish i was responsible for my seat, Dustin Kott hooked that up for me .

What is the correct jetting spec for a cb 360 thats not using the stock air box??

Im having trouble my bike is running way to lean. as soon as i start my bike it jumps immediately to high idle any suggestions?

Totally depends on filters and exhaust. (and if you have any air leaks ;D)
When it's 'right' at max rpm it will be rich mid-range.
I'm still experimenting with air correctors to get mid range right
You can't buy them 'off the shelf' as they are strange thread.
I can make some that will be close with 115 secondary main jets ('right' on some applications)

crazypj said:
Totally depends on filters and exhaust. (and if you have any air leaks ;D)
When it's 'right' at max rpm it will be rich mid-range.
I'm still experimenting with air correctors to get mid range right
You can't buy them 'off the shelf' as they are strange thread.
I can make some that will be close with 115 secondary main jets ('right' on some applications)
[/quote

Your a smart man. I think i got it. It was butterfly related. You know where the carbs link together buy a screw with a nut and there Is a little spring in between them? Well my spring was not where it was suppose to be, so when i would release the throttle it wouldn't snap back and close my butterflies all the way. Its late so i wont have a chance to test it out until tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. Thanks again for the help. ;D ;D

i did a test run today and still reving super high. So high i have to just kill the engine. im pulling the carbs off again to make sure its all clean and putt together right. I will take pictures. so if you see if some thing isnt wright you can let me know. cheers

I putt my cafe help reply on my build page to your in put i couldnt find the page i posted on.

Back
Top Bottom