Using filler and bondapriming a fuel tank

koolio

Been Around the Block
Apologies if this has been answered already ad nauseam (also apologies as I posted in the wrong section).

Looking to take the Honda emblem off a CB500t, strip the tank, then fill the remaining groove (from the emblem) and go from there.

Does anyone know the correct way of going about this?

I was going to use Bondaprimer, which is great stuff (I am in no way affiliated) and then a filler.

http://www.marinemegastore.com/product-BONDAPRIMER-25O-ML-AQU_Q05166.htm

Unfortunately I know for a fact that filler will soften the bonda primer and it will eventually start to peel.

I've seen a few people that have done similar filler jobs on their tanks, anyone have any idea how to go about it?

Perhaps bondaprimer, another primer then filler?

P.S. I'm in the UK hence rain and would strongly lean to anything providing zinc protection.

Strip it down to bare metal.
Wash it really good get all the dirt and oil off. And then just fill it with filler, sand it down and paint.
Simple as that.

SONICJK said:
Strip it down to bare metal.
Wash it really good get all the dirt and oil off. And then just fill it with filler, sand it down and paint.
Simple as that.

Pretty obvious but I won't do this without priming, otherwise I'll just have to do it in 6 months and I'll have a rusty tank. So question still stands.

Pretty much what Sonic said . Grind it down fill it up sand prime sand then paint . No other way that I know of .

Sonicjk is right, grind metal with 40 grit add filler sand then prime, sand and paint. bondo won't stick to primer or paint.

Its the deep grind marks that make the bondo adhere to the metal

I think there is some confusion between:

"bondo" which is a two part filler

and

"bondaprimer" which is a zinc rich primer used by a lot of restoration folk and yachting people. It is the ultimate primer and literally seals off and protects and takes a week to cure.

It is the bondaprimer that I'd like to use as a primer over a filler, but like I said before it softens fillers. "Bondaprimer" will soften "Bondo" until it comes off.

Thats not a primer for final coat before paint . You will need to use a regular sandable primer after you are done with the bodywork . I wouldnt waste my time with that other stuff.

sasquach said:
Thats not a primer for final coat before paint . You will need to use a regular sandable primer after you are done with the bodywork . I wouldnt waste my time with that other stuff.

It is a primer for final coat before paint! It is the best automotive primer and is used on yachts also.

Go ahead and use your yacht primer on your bike then, and stop asking people for help when you dont want it.

If bonda-primer is not going to react well with other standard stuff then why use it?

Ive done a few tanks and had no issues with sanding back to metal, filling and priming. Then sanding the primer again so its smooth. No yacht filler necessary :)

metaltriumph said:
Go ahead and use your yacht primer on your bike then, and stop asking people for help when you dont want it.

If bonda-primer is not going to react well with other standard stuff then why use it?

Ive done a few tanks and had no issues with sanding back to metal, filling and priming. Then sanding the primer again so its smooth. No yacht filler necessary :)

Grrr. Its an automotive primer!! But is so good its used on yachts also. It is not a filler.

No reason I shouldn't want to use the best product out there, which de facto bonda primer is (and I am in no way affiliated).

I was wondering perhaps there is another kind of filler or filling method that would be more resistant? I only have a tiny part of a fuel tank to fill.

Encabulator said:
Grrr. Its an automotive primer!! But is so good its used on yachts also. It is not a filler.

No reason I shouldn't want to use the best product out there, which de facto bonda primer is (and I am in no way affiliated).

I was wondering perhaps there is another kind of filler or filling method that would be more resistant? I only have a tiny part of a fuel tank to fill.

There is a reason you shouldnt use the best product out there - you said it yourself - its doesnt react well with filler! which you need to fill in your tank!

The automotive industry has survived just great for years with simple filler and primer. why complicate things?

your tank will not go rusty - have you had a properly primed and painted tank go rusty before? why are you so worried about it?

I live in the UK, conditions are always wet and salty.

You are right I am over complicating things but I love a zinc primer which would work ok, but I especially love Bondaprimer!

You should marry Bondaprimer!

BURNNNNNN

I just did some googling to learn more about bondaprimer - it appears your fears are indeed warranted - and most recommend sticking with Etch primer.

I just did some googling to learn more about bondaprimer - it appears your fears are indeed warranted - and most recommend sticking with Etch primer.

People swear by Bondaprimer as you no doubt will find! ;)

If the area you need to fill is small enough - use solder / lead.

Yea was thinking this, its a small area.

I suppose if you used welding instead if filling , you could use that God's gift to man, miracle, solves world hunger product you're in love with :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is obnoxious.
I told you what to do already.

A filler job is not going to rust as your going to paint over it. I don't give a shit of you dunk it in the Atlantic as long as you have a good paint job it's going to be fine.

You're making this way to complicated.

Otherwise,
Go get some metal filler used for powder coating maybe that doesn't react with your superuselessbondaprimer.

lol. How do you really feel Sonic? I hear ya though. I've replied to a few posts where guys just don't want to Git Er Done and think that someones gonna come up with some ingenious idea that gets them out of putting in elbow grease. Not that I'm saying is what's going on here cause I honestly didn't read the thread in detail but I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom