new member with a few questions.

Eyecatcher

I'm new to the site and new to building bikes. I live in Georgia not far from atl. I have a 1981 Honda cm400 custom. It's all there and runs just fine with no problems that I received a few yrs ago and I'm thinking of making a cafe style out of it. I have looked on this site pryor to registering and found a lot of information and usefull ideas. First question is how hard is it to make a cafe style on a budget? 2nd I read earlier and now can't find the thread but do you have to keep the stock airbox bc I saw that they run like shot without them. Any way to get around that? What about the power out of the engine how can I make it have more power without completely disassembling the whole thing? I'm going to start a thread when I start to tear down my bike.. Any advice or ideas would greatly be appreciated. I'm gonna state now that I probably will have alot of questions. Thank you for your time.

Suggestion number one: don't tear it down until you ride it for a couple months. I know you say it runs fine, but there are probably some kinks to work out.
Suggestion number two: keep the stock airbox if at all possible. You can make a good looking bike without swapping to pods, I promise.

Not a ton you can do power-wise without getting into the engine.

If you want to make a "real" café racer, count on a few grand and a couple of hundred hours. Maybe more for a first timer.

If you want your bike to just look like a café racer, you can go with a seat hump, clubmans or clipons, and rear sets and be most of the way there.

I have rode it for the past two summer's with no problems. I got a question I have what I believe are comstar wheels 18in front and 16in rear. I would like to make the rear a 18in. I like the look of the front and would like the same look on the rear instead of the small egg looking holes in the rear. Did the make this style wheels in a 18in rear? Or do I have to get a whole new set? Not sure if any of that made any sence....

This is what I have now..

Attachments

• 1419117732820.jpg
    1419117732820.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
This is what I wanna put on the rear. Is it the same style wheel or not. If not what kind is it?

Attachments

• 1419120148059.jpg
    1419120148059.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 233
the ones with the long slots are the original comstar the others are the newer lighter reverse comstar they are better being lighter and an 18 rear doesn't have an egg shaped hole
that said you really ought to find a different bike for turning into a cafe style, your bike is too far away from cafe to be changed,and there is nothing racer about it either

With that being said there are some real nice cafe style bikes that were made from a stock cm400. Obviously you haven't seen any and if you have you ain't given it any thought. I'm going to continue with my project regardless what others option may be because in the end it's what I like that really matters.

Eyecatcher said:
With that being said there are some real nice cafe style bikes that were made from a stock cm400. Obviously you haven't seen any and if you have you ain't given it any thought. I'm going to continue with my project regardless what others option may be because in the end it's what I like that really matters.

That's fair, but also give thought as to how much experience you have versus how much experience those in your audience may have.

Some bikes lend themselves well to the café style and some do not. Those bike that do not, require a lot more time, effort, and money. Some so much so that buying a different bike is often the better option.

Eyecatcher said:
easily 90% of the "cafe style" bikes made from a cm series or any other honda for that matter,that i have seen perform at a lower level in handling ,safety,power and comfort than the showroom stock version of the same machine

Start with subtle mods, and whatever you do dont get a hammer and pound the sides of the gas tank in, that seems to be the trend around here sometimes. Makes me cry for the bike.

What about removing the airbox... Can it still preform good with pods? If so what size jets would I have to use with the stock carbs?

Eyecatcher said:
What about removing the airbox... Can it still preform good with pods? If so what size jets would I have to use with the stock carbs?

If you want pods on it...do it. Expect to have as much or more effort and time invested in making it run properly as you do the rest of the build.

Maybe attacking this project from a different angle would have merit? If you are the sort that always dives into the deep end and is willing to swim to the far shore come hell or high water and will always persevere no matter what, get some design ideas of what you want and start carving up your bike. Most people are better served taking more bite sized chunks and getting one thing successfully completed before moving on to the next. Decide what you want to work on first, and get that sorted out before moving on. Maybe you want to do some engine changes. Get some new pipes, and learn to re-jet your carbs to get it to run well. Then change to a new air filter system, and rejet. You will have learned a bit with the pipes, so sorting out the new intake will not be so daunting. You do not need a lot of fancy complicated crap to do this well, but you do need to learn how engines work to make educated changes. Work your way up to each new element of your modifications and keep having fun. Lots of things involved in re-imagining your bike take skill and knowledge, which you will have to acquire in order to have a good outcome. You can't just decide you need to weld something up without learning how to weld first for example, but you can use your project to learn and if you are patient you can be proud of your work even if it is your first attempt. Do one project at a time until you have some confidence in your skills and experience before taking on too much, and keep your projects small enough so you can keep riding your bike!

It may also be of benefit to consider how "cafe" bikes started out. Cafe bikes originally were an effort to improve performance, and the "style" evolved out of this intent. Now things are a bit backwards in that the "look" is often more important. For my own work, I am rather severely focused on the "look" of the finished bike, but function and performance and the balance between those elements and reliability and comfort take absolute precedence. Make your bike ride and perform well and do not sacrifice comfort and safety. Figure out how to make it look like your dream after. If your bike looks great and is a bitch to drive you will stop riding it. If it is a joy to drive, you will ride it all the time no matter how bad it looks. You CAN have both, and ANY bike can be made fabulous, but make it work great first. Fixing the cosmetics can be difficult when working around function, but fixing function having to work around cosmetics can be impossible!

jpmobius said:
Make your bike ride and perform well and do not sacrifice comfort and safety. Figure out how to make it look like your dream after. If your bike looks great and is a bitch to drive you will stop riding it. If it is a joy to drive, you will ride it all the time no matter how bad it looks. You CAN have both, and ANY bike can be made fabulous, but make it work great first. Fixing the cosmetics can be difficult when working around function, but fixing function having to work around cosmetics can be impossible!

PERFECTLY WRITTEN !

Back
Top Bottom