1975 Honda xl350 brat? tracker? project so far

Attachments

• bike3 (2).jpg
    bike3 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,800
  • bike4 (2).jpg
    bike4 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11,131
I tried to put up a small video of it running but I guess the file is too large for the site? :-(

Great job! I love that you kept the original tank paint. Has a great patina without looking ratty. This definitely makes me want to get working on my XL175 again.

Did you keep the stock fork and just lower it a bunch? Any pictures of the process?

:) thank you! The tank was my favorite part of the bike and I love its patina. So the whole build was inspired by the tank. I wanted to keep its stick look and make the bike seem like Honda made it that way.
Yes. I just lowered the front fork 4" internally and 1" in the tree. I didn't take any pix of it tho. I didn't k.ow how to lower forks so I just googled it and found a few demonstrations on it. It was a lot easier than I thought. I'll try to fins the illustration that helped me the most and post it here. Also making a little special tool out of an old socket made it way easy too.

I lowered the forks internally using pipe from some old handle bars. Some people use PVC. Here is an illustration that helps give you the idea. This illustration is for an xs650. My Honda doesn't have the upper spacer on top of the main spring. The amount I cut off the main spring was replaced with a spacer on the damper.

Attachments

• fork_shorten_exploded_view.gif
    fork_shorten_exploded_view.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,567
I found the link that walked me thru the entire fork lowering

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/06/mulligan-machine-lower-your-xs650-forks-low-buck-garage-tech/

Awesome thanks for the info! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to restore mine or customize as you have.

I found it easier to take stuff off customizing than refurbishing and restoring. I like the look of your tank too!

For my next build I want to take a similar old enduro and lengthen the swing arm and lace a 21" wheel to the rear to match the front, lower it, rock a solo seat and get somewhat of a boardtracker look.

I thought about that as well but my bike is 100% complete and really in good shape so I'm hesitant to make any permanent changes to it. Since my dad is the original owner, I'd kind of like to keep it stock and restore it to keep in the family if I ever have kids or to give to my nephews down the line.

I'll keep an eye out for that next project of yours. Sounds sick. These old enduros really make great starting points for customs. And they are cheap.

Mine was original and complete too. Not in my family tho. I have an 81 ct70 that was my first bike that I still have today all stock. I just figured that they aren't really good for off-road riding compared to modern technology so I figured to keep the nostalgic look but get it on the street so more people can enjoy it.

Does that mikuni carb match the stock intake? I need a new carb for my bike and I'm ditching the clunky air box, but stock carbs + cone filters = frustration

Yes the mikuni carb fit perfectly. It's the 36vm. So much easier than the two cable throttle. The throttle tube is motion pro. Smooth operating and snaps back nice. The filter is just a cheap emgo.

Put on a 39 tooth sprocket to replace the stock 45 tooth one to get some more top end out of it. Also got a 1975 Arizona motorcycle license plate and got it registered for the bike. It really looks the part on this bike! Way better than the sunset colored plates they give out now. Also fabricated a cool plate bracket that mounts off the rear lower shock bolt.

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 613
  • IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 708
Does anyone have any thoughts as what this bike should be classified as......I've just been saying that I built a....... "cafe bobber type thingy".......

i love this bike. so clean and minimal, you did a great job! with the dirt bike bars and knobby front tire, i'd refer to it as a brat tracker. but aside from any labels, it's just plain cool! if you EVER decide to sell it, i will fly out to AZ and take it off your hands ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom