Brake Disk Punching Confusion

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
hey guys!

i just found a workshop that will punch me holes in my discs.
after doing some research im just confused about all the types and forms disks are punched....
these discs are from an rd 250...8 mm steel he will cnc mill the holes and smoothen them out to avoid that the brake pad will wear out too fast.

is there a rule i should follow coming to the design of the hole layout (i will myself draw the plan on CAD)?
which diameter of the holes should i draw?though about 5mm diameter maximum.
any of you guys performed something like that?

here are some pics of punched disks i like....are they reasonable?

i tend more to the 3rd pic with the lady :) i like the holes to be not straight-lined...

any ideas?are these design working and safe?

Attachments

• motorcycle_monkee_33_15.jpg
    motorcycle_monkee_33_15.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 234
  • 1016093_675337289155645_1710837754_n.jpg
    1016093_675337289155645_1710837754_n.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 230
  • tumblr_mjat0ckhBM1s7cq58o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mjat0ckhBM1s7cq58o1_500.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 801
  • Red_up.jpg
    Red_up.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 230
Less is more when it comes to drilled rotors.

The more holes you put in the rotor, the more material you are taking away from the heatsink properties of the rotor, allowing the rotor to heat up faster, and cause brake fade faster.

The last photo you posted will be your best bet.

I've also read that it's best to stagger the holes from one row to the next so that the entire swept surface has holes- Unlike the first picture.

picture number one is an example how NOT to do it,everything is wrong
stagger the holes ideally you want all the swept area to have some holes
does your punch guy know that it is stainless steal ? after punching he is going to grind or precision machine the disc flat again?

xb33bsa said:
picture number one is an example how NOT to do it,everything is wrong
stagger the holes ideally you want all the swept area to have some holes
does your punch guy know that it is stainless steal ? after punching he is going to grind or precision machine the disc flat again?

ok thats funny...pciture number one is the pic of the rd 400 of the famous wrenchmonkess....they dont seem to know much about brakes :)
can you guys post some pictures of how it would ideally would look like?
wouldnt the sharp edges of the non chamfered disk wear out the pads more easily?

i dont ge tthe staggering thing..im not a native speaker sorry.

the disk is perfectly flat...he knows its stainless why should he machine it down?

punching many holes in it will distort it, badly, stainless is tough and sticky the holes will have to be punched equal to or larger than the thickness of the metal
the wrench monkies are clueless hacks drilling and chamfering a disc like that the holes are not even staggered
if the pads were made of rubber you would need to chamfer the holes but all it does is leave a nice little ramp and pathway to feed grit into your pads to scour the surface
I pulled a nice staggered pattern pic of the web

Attachments

• drilled disc.jpg
    drilled disc.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 780
padarea.jpg

And the holes need to be smaller diameter than the thickness of the rotor.

You might consider aftermarket rotors that are already drilled / better material / lighter etc. than the OEM ones.

Tim said:
You might consider aftermarket rotors that are already drilled / better material / lighter etc. than the OEM ones.

aftermarket disks are hard to get for my kind of model and pretty expensive.

i think im gonna go for the picture three pattern...what you guys think?

the steel is 8mm...i think 8mm holes will be too big

holes cannot be punched smaller than the thickness even in steel, ss is worse the hole must be larger than the thickness
plus be prepared to have your discs ground flat again afterwards
the only way to do it without distortion is drilling
if the punch guy is telling you different run away :-[

I prefer the swirls myself, thats what I usually drill. Matty did a nice job on that bike, rotors included.

8mm is too big IMO, I'd use either a 5mm bit or a 1/4" bit

sonic could you post a pic of a swirled punched disk?would be nice...:)

xb33bsa said:
holes cannot be punched smaller than the thickness even in steel, ss is worse the hole must be larger than the thickness

the guy told me that he will machine it with an cnc driller...

xb33bsa said:

i dont get your point...sorry

Punched and drilled are different things. A punch literally punches a hole in the metal with a harder metal and a lot of force.
A drill/mill/Cnc will cut a hole with a drill but with much less force.

Ill try and dig up a picture of my rotors

yes, rotors from factory and most aftermarket have punched holes, no drilling, but they are precision ground afterwards
rarely in industry are holes drilled in plate or sheet
drilling is a costly, time consuming and messy process compared to punching holes

xb33bsa said:
yes, rotors from factory and most aftermarket have punched holes, no drilling, but they are precision ground afterwards
rarely in industry are holes drilled in plate or sheet
drilling is a costly, time consuming and messy process compared to punching holes

aaah get it...no the holes get milled (or drillles,as you like)
the guy has a special lathe workshop here in vienna,austria with great tools.
i will deliver the cad file for his machine and he will perform the drilling.
he wants 50 euro per disk,which in my view is a bargain :)

today i went to a motorcycle chassis expert,he told me that i can drill as many (small) holes and that most modern brake disks have chamfered holes,cuz they are cast metal...but the brake pads are harder tday.

looking forward to your disks sonic!

and do not chamfer the holes one of the things that the unchamfered holes are beneficial for is helping to clean the pad surface while in use
nothing wrong with larger holes either as long as there aren't too many closely spaced

chamfered holes will just ruin your discs,they will get scored up over time .......unless you don't ride

Back
Top Bottom