1978 GS550 Build

Finally got the engine back together. Fitting everything with new gaskets, new valve seats, and complete head work.

Got the new engine in and running.
Rebuilt my carbs and bumped up the jetting to 100 mains and 17.5 pilots (pods and header)
Added a MAC 4-1 header (took six months to get . . . yeah they are slow)
My fiberglass seat is from roc city and with a little modification will fit well (good quality)

Attachments

• header323.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 592
Seat and tank look great together - motor's looking sweet too. Are you worried at all about the tuning without the airbox?

Either way - great work!

brainrush said:
It looks good really good. Where did you source the petcock rebuild kit, I desperately need one.

Ended up buying both the gaskets at the local suzuki dealer (about $15), and the diaphragm on ebay for $15. But you may be able to find a kit for less I'm not sure. Just note the orientation of the spacer and daiphragm when taking it apart. I put mine back together wrong twice because I got in a hurry! Pissed my right off . . . bikebandit may also have the parts, they are great for OEM and I have bought a lot of stuff from them.

Another great source for GS parts is Z1. I just had my petcock crap out on me and they had spares, customs, and rebuild kits. I opted for a new one, non-vacuum to eliminate the dreaded "oh shit I just leaked fuel into my cases and bent a rod" that happens on old GS's with neglected petcocks.

Awesome build!

Scott

Motor looks great, and big +1 on the tank/seat combo. I bet the flow would look even slicker if you could lower the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom