my 1969 cb350 build thread (slow process)

afiendishthingy

Hi everyone! Recently I bought a complete, but not running, 69 cb350 fit $500. It has a title and also came with a 72cb350 parts bike. Pretty sweet deal for california. According to the po the bike ran when he parked it and started tearing it down. I want to do this on a strict budget week by week.I have some questions to begin with. One, the frame is black and I want it black and I was wondering if just rattle canning it will suffice. Remember, I'm on a budget, but if I do spray it that way I will use the 2k stuff. Also, I was wondering if that would be okay for the tank (currently blue and white, but want it plain white). Another question, how do I get dents out of tanks? It only has two, but I was wondering if those glue/suction things work. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Oh and pictures. They aren't great quality because it is from my phone and was dark. The last two are of the dents in the tank.

Attachments

• IMAG0477.jpg
    IMAG0477.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0483.jpg
    IMAG0483.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 220
Subscribed. Btw it's a 70. No knee pads and the tank emblems are different. I am current working on a budget 68 cb350 Cafe.

The bottom of the frame takes a beating but i think if you was a quality paint and cure it correctly you should be for awhile. But powder coating is the best way to go.

I'll be watching your build.

That's what I thought! The frame says 70, but the pink says 69 and the vin matches. Oh well, it's still older than most bikes on the road haha. I'll be sure to check out yours, if you have a thread. I'm warning you, it is going to be a slow process and some people may not agree with what I do. I'm building on a budget do I'm thinking of just doing the paint. Maybe after I get more money I will do higher quality stuff. Besides, aren't cafes about being cheap?

I hear ya. mines a year in progress. Slowly but surely. I was lucky to stumble upon mine on craigslist for $200.

Just got new rubber for her and picked up some emblems from SkinnyJim (thanks bro)

Here she is before i changed the bars and turnsignals. no new pics yet, too damn cold.

0E007F8E-40B0-4B11-88FE-68DD2C52DB41-1946-000001F8D672145A_zpsef30522d.jpg

Glad you picked them up!

Anyway just some things I have learned in the last few years since I was exactly in your shoes. "New" bike and too much energy and excitement to contain haha.

first:
Make it run first. Make it run well. Not just "okay it started" I mean tune it and make it rideable.

Second:
Do all of your modifications before you start on pretty stuff
aka any welding youre going to do, any tab cutting, ALL of your fab work, making a seat? all of this needs to be done before you even start thinking about paint.

third:
In a few months when you get to this point, read the rattle can bling thread, and then read it again, then let it soak in, then read it again once you forget.

and 4th:
there is nothing more valuable than just relaxing, taking your time and spending a LOT of time on the forum reading every single cb350 related post before you start tearing into it.

Now you wont listen to any of this (I didnt) but in the off chance you do you'll be a lot better off!

Congrats on the new bikes 8)

That's a nice looking bike and a great deal! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

That's what I was planning actually. I'm just going to clean it up and make it run first. Not too sure what I'm going to do fab wise, nosy likely just stripping and a seat. I want to get rid if the starter for sure. I'm young, no need for electric start haha. Anyway, I'll see what I can do about listening to you.

Listen to sonic. Exactly what I'm doing. Mine had mismatched carbs on it. Found a matching one at a local shop for $50. Got it running. Adjusted timing and she runs fantastic. compression was a bit low but still in rideable spec.

I stripped my tank and rattle canned it just to ride it. I will end up stripping it down and redoing everything but for now he's a good rider.

So I cleaned out my back shed (don't have a garage) finally and moved my bike in! Currently bringing my tools in and attempting to set up a small work area. Haven't done anything really, just took off the seat and just inspected everything. The electrical is a tad more messed up than I first expected, but I should be able to get that with time (it is my first project in getting the bike running). I have been working more so time hadn't been on my side lately, but that just means more money to dump into my bike.

Update!

I still have put only a small amount of time into the bike, but thus far I took of the tank and cleaned her out(gas from 2007 just didn't make the cut), completely cleaned out the carbs, took apart the petcock and had to clean out the gummed up gas in that, new fuel line, and got the headlight to work. I put it back together just to see if she would start and kick four, boom! Started right up. It dies because I haven't had time to adjust the carbs or anything, but at least I know she is a runner.

Going to take off everything again so I can adjust the valves and clean up the writing from the p.o. I think when I take everything off again I'll clean most everything with simple green and elbow grease and maybe touch up the frame with black spray paint(just temporary) and just polish up the tank.

This is actually a really fun project so far. Hopefully it stays on that track haha. Anywho, thanks for reading guys. I'll keep you posted and post pictures if I do anything that I deem worth it.

Keep the updates coming. Sounds like your coming along fine!

Got mine out on Sunday.

You'll be riding in no time.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363177753.052548.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363177753.052548.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 212
Your bike looks nice!
While I was taking everything apart again I got the urge to just spray the tank while touching up the frame. $10 later and it didn't turn out too bad. Kinda looks like a police bike, but I'm not planning on keeping it like this. I eventually want to get a different tank. Anywho, I attached a picture of the tank by itself. Should look pretty cool when I put the bike back together.

Edit: the colors are satin finish and it got pretty dusty, it actually looks nicer in person. I am also yet to sand the little color bleeding. What do you guys think? Too policeish?

Attachments

• IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 212
Nice job so far. What kind of tank are you looking to get? If your going to get rid of that one would you maybe want to sell/trade it to me, because that is the one I want for mine (I like the center cap).

Also where in california are you?

So I put the tank back on the bike and like it. I may not want to change tanks just yet haha. I don't like the seat that much (too wide), but it is just temporary.
Took a picture of it with most everything on it just to see how everything would look (besides headlight). It isn't the best looking bike, but much better than when I got it.
Still have big plans for it. Next I want to get smaller levers. Not too sure about fenders. I found a set in the crate that came with my bike that looks like I can modify to fit (they are smaller than stock which I also have), but I also may run no fenders. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMAG0516.jpg
    IMAG0516.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 209
I'm really digging it. I was going to got with a black and white scheme as well but less original paint. More like so.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363747706.584938.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363747706.584938.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 253
Damn that is nice. When I redo everything I want it either something like that or a dark grey. That black engine looks nice too.
I'm thinking in this order is what I want to do
1. New levers
2. Exhaust
3. Seat
4. Tank
5. Frame (paint/powder coat)
6. Maybe big bore kit
And the whole time attempting to shave as much weight as possible(removing battery and starter) and buy little things I notice here and there like cables. Ink probably forgetting things, but that's the gist of it.

Dime city! I've got all my pieces parts there without killing my bank account. Bars, cables, filters and lookin to get some levers from them. Probably shorties

I second Dime City.... I've been working on a 74 CB450 and they have been great. Prices are reasonable, no hassle returns, when I call them, someone always answers the phone....and have a wealth of knowledge. You can't go wrong dealing with these people. First Class all the way.

I haven't had the chance of dealing with anyone specifically, kinda had everything I've bedded, but they will definitely be my go to guys. I'm thinking I'm going to keep my levers for now and put my money toward an exhaust and a seat. I find a pretty cheap seat on ebay, but I'll pretty skeptical on it's quality. And I am looking for mufflers I like. Not sure if I want shorties, two into into one, cl, or just getting the dents out of the original ones and rechroming them. I'm also going to get header wrap, not sure if I want black, natural, or bronze(not sure how it would look with my combo).

afiendishthingy said:
...but I also may run no fenders.

"art project" :)

Seriously though, if you decide not to run a fender, at least put the rudimentary brace that is inside the fender on - it'll make a huge difference with handling.

Back
Top Bottom