first build! 1975 cb550, the end is near

adventure_prone

Hello all.
Welcome to my first build, I'm a machinist and welder for the air force so I thought I'd try and put those skills to work in some sort of build. Picked a cb because the following on them is huge, it helps that I also picked this up for $500

So here she is in all her glory

the kid who owned it didn't really know what he was doing.
He got pods and a mac 4 into 1. Then complained that the exhaust had a leak (there was more exhaust coming out of the head than the muffler). He assumed it was just needing gaskets so bought them but never installed them. I shrugged it off just thinking I'll take 30 or so mins to put them in.. I test rode it, ran well surprisingly but the exhaust leak was so loud I only rode it down the block and back.. loaded it up and before I left town went to a guy he refered me too who collects jap bikes and parts.
Jason, the parts guys, turned out to have an entire pole barn full of anything and everything motorcycles. So I was looking for a cb750f tank to put on this bike but most were pretty rusty. Then I came along a cb500 twin tank (as seen on the ground in the picture above), I love the lines of it plus it is rust free, so I picked it up for $40 bucks. Will take a little tinkering to get it mounted on the

Started taking the exhaust off and low and behold the kid put the exhaust collars on backwards. :eek:
So I fixed those but now I'm getting a 3k rpm idle. My guess is he tuned it to run ok with the giant exhaust leak.. I took the carbs apart everything seems clean has a 100 main jets, which for pods and a 4 into 1 I don't know if those are big enough. Being new to carbs I sort of at a stand still until I do some research

the cb500T tank front is mounted the way I want it, need to weld a mounting tank to the rear of the tank and the frame still, then make a spacer to get the rear up higher, I want the bottom of the tank to be parallel to the ground. After that the tank, fender, and headlight bucket are being sand blasted. I'm going for a brushed look through out the bike, I think it'll look great.
Some other shots

This is with a 120 grit sandpaper, I think I'm going to go with something rougher still

Rolled it outside today, finished plastic blasting the tank so I popped it on to see if I'm want to leave it bare or paint it. I'm still undecided

I'm forever waiting on parts lol. I have the following ordered.

From cognito moto:
Triple tree top
Rearset brackets
Rearsets
Clip ons
Small battery
Electronics tray for under the seat
Headlight brackets

From dcc:
Tachometer
Cafe seat
Led tail light

Other randoms:
7 in Trucklite led headlight
New intake boats
Jet kit
Valve tappet covers

Still need to order a carb sync kit, but the couple places I've looked are sold out
Until the parts get here I'm stuck trimming of unused brackets trying to clean up the clutter on the frame.. trying to build this by the 4th of July to put it in the towns car and bike show, it's all Harleys here so it should stand out a bit :)

Re: 1975 cb550 project gaijin

Got the bike up on jacks, wheels off, think I'm going to paint them silver or black.
Ordered a new chain and sprockets. Stayed with the 17 front but went to a 40 rear. We'll see how that goes.
Have parts coming in on Thursday and Saturday so hopefully I can start getting the bike buttoned up. It's getting pretty close to my deadline.
Took the exhaust off and started to wrap it. Forgot how filthy this stuff is haha

Re: first build! 1975 cb550

Wasn't happy with the way the rear end looked on the bike
so I decided to hack it off and start from scratch

where will the shocks attach ? what shocks will you be using ?
that is a pretty narrow triangle for shock loads

xb33bsa said:
where will the shocks attach ? what shocks will you be using ?
that is a pretty narrow triangle for shock loads
Shocks are going to attach at the point where the triangle meets in the rear. Where it would normally mount... using 1 and a half inch longer shocks to account for the up sweep the tail has now... shock loads.... we'll see what happens

Which DCC taillight did you get? The first one I got became waterlogged after a particularly wet ride and stopped working. I got another one and sealed it up with silicone before installing it. Still works.

adventure_prone said:
Shocks are going to attach at the point where the triangle meets in the rear. Where it would normally mount... using 1 and a half inch longer shocks to account for the up sweep the tail has now... shock loads.... we'll see what happens
some corner gussets will help
I have some 14-1/4" eye-to clevis konis for sale

Flugtechnik said:
Which DCC taillight did you get? The first one I got became waterlogged after a particularly wet ride and stopped working. I got another one and sealed it up with silicone before installing it. Still works.

I bought the slim red LED cat eye. I'm going to be sure to seal it now, just to make sure. thanks!

adventure_prone said:
I bought the slim red LED cat eye. I'm going to be sure to seal it now, just to make sure. thanks!

Yep, that's the one. Nice light but there are some gaps on the back near the screws that need to be sealed. I even added some around the rubber thing the wires go through.

Nice work so far. I'm a big fan of the brushed look.

Much needed update. Welded in some scaffolding to help distribution of suspension load.

Wasn't sure how I'd like the lines but it's growing on me

Re: first build! 1975 cb550... FRAME MODS DONE

Been so lazy.

Noooooooooooo progress. Cant seem to find my bowl gaskets for my carbs >_<

Anyone have an idea on how to fill this gap. It's going to drive me crazy
Think I might undo the leather up front and throw some extra foam in

nobody will notice or pay attention to that and it looks great as it is ;)

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/ebowling325/media/VID_35741212_073611_zps140e1723.mp4.html
Got it started up. Went through the carbs to make sure everything was in good shape also jumped up to the correct jets. But now I'm having an issue with what I'm guess is the floats sticking, because fuel is pouring out of the overflow tube. Didn't have this issue before hand

Made my upper rear shock mounts today.
Before and after

In the shock

I'm going to weld on both sides of the plug then grind the back have somewhat flush. Made it long so I can get a good bead on it, I'm happy with the way they turned out. One less thing that needs to get done

Back
Top Bottom