Any place for one stop shopping on a modern front end install?

Rusnak_322

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
I know that I could do this myself with a few vendors and a machine shop, but honestly, this is the stuff I hate the most.

My wife wants to get rid of the thin stock forks on her XS400 but keep the Yamaha mag wheel and handlebars, not clip-ons. I know that I can get some Aprilia RS125 forks, they are supposedly bolt on, but they are not cheap and only available overseas. Plus I would still have to fart around with axels, bearings, spacers and lining up the rotor and caliper.

I would love to just send off the triple trees, front wheel and axel, caliper and a set of R6 forks and triple trees (or whatever is best/cheapest) and have someone send them back ready to bolt on.

Any idea if there is a shop that would entertain this? What would it cost?

You are really asking a lot here. The first step is picking a front end that is right for your bike and riding style. Just slapping something on will not yield good results. Just because an R6 has amazing suspension, doesnt mean it will work on your old XS. There are geometry and fork length considerations that come into play. An XS400 isnt a bike that you do extremely spirited riding on, so what is the motivation for the swap? Even front ends touted as direct bolt on rarely are. Likely a set of springs and emulators from Race Tech would get you most of the way there.

pure looks.
this is a bike that will be used in town, don't care about making it go faster or handle better. Just don't want to make it unsafe.

I was hoping the shop that could do this would take into consideration the geometry. to have a R6 or other modern front end with handle bars and not clip-ons, they would need a new upper triple clamp. they could adjust the geometry there.

looking for this
https://cognitomoto.com/products/fixed-offset-retro-triple-tree-conversion-30mm-45mm-50mm-55mm-60mm

but for less of this - $$$$

And you're going to rework the springs and valving to make an R6 front end or similar work for an XS400?

No,
Just want it to mechanically bolt up to the XS frame.

Once we know what length shocks we will be running

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Just finished up a front end swap with an R1 front end onto my CB750. It isn't all that expensive to do honestly but it is a bit of a hassle. Looks awesome though!
5dea3ffb756be1062cceef65813a571d.jpg

Rusnak_322 said:
looking for this
https://cognitomoto.com/products/fixed-offset-retro-triple-tree-conversion-30mm-45mm-50mm-55mm-60mm

but for less of this - $$$$

Devon (cognio Moto) is as reasonable as you will get if you are looking for turn key... Sourcing from several suppliers will garner several results.

If you just want USD forks buy a complete front with rim and hell get the tire too then ask what stem and bearings you need from Devon, send the bottom tree and he will press the stem out/in for a $20 spot... bolt it all up then come back and find out how to make the back end work with the 3 inch + lower front :eek:

Worst that can happen is a violent head shake and crash so just wear good protection.

I do exactly what you're asking.....

what R6 style front end are you talking? the inverted newer stuff, or the 99-02 traditional style forks like we just put on "camrector"s gentlemans express build?

if you're speaking of the inverted style, you're going to need new triple trees to correct the offset. The specific offset you'll want will depend on what else you're doing to the bike to yield the most favorable trail.

I had done a zx10 inverted fork setup that I made fit an xs750 triple using the stock mag wheel....I'll see if I have the pics somewhere. But the 04-05 zx10 axle made it possible to just swap the wheel bearings out in the yamaha mag and make up some aluminum centering spacers.....then I just made some rotor pucks to line up the rotors with the calipers (used yzf600 rotors as they're the same 6-bolt pattern as stock yamaha mags)

OR, one of my "secret" nearly perfect front end swap....esp for yamaha's

Suzuki VZ800 marauder. They can usually be had COMPLETE for about $250 with caliper, triple trees, and axle.

the forks are 33" long....so usually can be set in the triples to factory ride height really easily.

the offset in the triple trees is 55mm, very close or identical to stock in most vintage bike applications

the steering stem is the exact same dimensions as a stock xs650 and xs750/850....haven't put them on a 400 yet.

the axle diameter is the same as xs650/750/850. This means with simple centering spacers the stock XS wheel will go onto the stock vz800 axle AND retain mechanical speedo. I think xs400 uses a smaller front axle size, I have extra xs650/750/850 front mag wheels to match if you need to locate one to purchase.

again, using a yzf600 rotor you can make an 8mm caliper spacer out of scrap flat stock or stacks of good washers and then a motolanna 10mm spacer can be had for about $40 to your door and it all bolts together. I buy up the yzf600 rotors whenever I find them priced reasonably so I have tons in stock if you need one.

can use 50mm clip-ons or it has handlebar mounting points. when I use clip-ons I put indicators into the riser holes for neutral light and oil light.

here's one I did on an xs650 chopper I built.

Attachments

• 11182061_1625668490980612_166738464930757039_n.jpg
    11182061_1625668490980612_166738464930757039_n.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 267
focusinprogress said:
I do exactly what you're asking.....

what R6 style front end are you talking? the inverted newer stuff, or the 99-02 traditional style forks like we just put on "camrector"s gentlemans express build?

if you're speaking of the inverted style, you're going to need new triple trees to correct the offset. The specific offset you'll want will depend on what else you're doing to the bike to yield the most favorable trail.

I had done a zx10 inverted fork setup that I made fit an xs750 triple using the stock mag wheel....I'll see if I have the pics somewhere. But the 04-05 zx10 axle made it possible to just swap the wheel bearings out in the yamaha mag and make up some aluminum centering spacers.....then I just made some rotor pucks to line up the rotors with the calipers (used yzf600 rotors as they're the same 6-bolt pattern as stock yamaha mags)

OR, one of my "secret" nearly perfect front end swap....esp for yamaha's

Suzuki VZ800 marauder. They can usually be had COMPLETE for about $250 with caliper, triple trees, and axle.

the forks are 33" long....so usually can be set in the triples to factory ride height really easily.

the offset in the triple trees is 55mm, very close or identical to stock in most vintage bike applications

the steering stem is the exact same dimensions as a stock xs650 and xs750/850....haven't put them on a 400 yet.

the axle diameter is the same as xs650/750/850. This means with simple centering spacers the stock XS wheel will go onto the stock vz800 axle AND retain mechanical speedo. I think xs400 uses a smaller front axle size, I have extra xs650/750/850 front mag wheels to match if you need to locate one to purchase.

again, using a yzf600 rotor you can make an 8mm caliper spacer out of scrap flat stock or stacks of good washers and then a motolanna 10mm spacer can be had for about $40 to your door and it all bolts together. I buy up the yzf600 rotors whenever I find them priced reasonably so I have tons in stock if you need one.

can use 50mm clip-ons or it has handlebar mounting points. when I use clip-ons I put indicators into the riser holes for neutral light and oil light.

here's one I did on an xs650 chopper I built.

I as thinking a newer USD R6 forks, but I don't really care what they are from. Again, it is looks and most forms can be revalved and resprung to meet the needs.

Can you send me you contact info so we can talk offline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom