1981 Yamaha XS400-"FLIGHT"

1466124_10201187280663928_1509308967_n.jpg

out on a ride last night and snapped this picture. First picture of the bike since it was done.

1459230_10201216097224324_2070494308_n.jpg

1478972_10201216098464355_2063927893_n.jpg

1458601_10201216101784438_783610902_n.jpg

They aren't great pictures but what more can you ask for from a phone.

So the first 1000 miles are nearly done on this bike and I know for certain that I will be doing some more work on it in the next couple months. Full tear down, no, but I think that I will be painting the wheels. I will need to get a new tank the current one is leaking out of the fill hole, thanks to me and the damage I did to the fill hole while trying to get a dent out of the side that my friend put in the tank when he dropped my bike.
Then there is the oil leaks to deal with.
What else new cables would probably help. New coils and points probably would be good. But the big stuff, Done.

good job!
are you doing the wheels black like the fork legs?
what are you doing with the side cover area?

the wheel plan is dark with the inside recessed area of the hubs blue and the nipples blue.
I have pods, but they won't stay on the carbs so i went back to the stock air boxes I had already detabbed the cover holders so i just need to figure out a way to remount the covers.

Sweet ride. How'd the side covers work out?

This build is being featured in our directory here: http://www.bikebuilds.net/yamaha-81-xs400-build-by-pr-design

At this point, we're only displaying a reduced-size photo (similar to what you'd find in Google Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to the build thread and we'll take care of the rest.

Ken

Sure, thanks.
It is currently getting reworked a little. New bars, new top end, new tank. I will get this thread updated at the point that I get it finished back up.

So back in June I had a cylinder stop firing. Pulled the plug and the helicoil that the PO installed came out with the plug. It meant either a new helicoil or a new cylinder head. I thought the bandaid to the right way. Picked up a used head from ebay.
I also decided that if I was going to rebuild the top end, I might as well do the rest of the job as well.
New rings and gaskets were in order.
Thanks to another DTT'er I had a little help getting everything done the right way. But not without problems

Boost has a media blasting cabinet so all the parts that i had painted with Aluminum paint got blasted down to natural aluminum.
When we got the entire thing done and put the valve cover back on, is when the first problem started. As soon as the cover got cranked down the cam shaft would bind and not turn. I ended up having to go back to ebay and buy the valve cover from the same donor bike. Come to find out cause the rocker arms are set into the valve cover, the parts need to be matched parts. The cover and cylinder head are line bored so they might be off slightly between one head and another. Hence the binding issue.

Got it all back together and finally got it started this weekend. Everything seemed great. But on the shake down ride up the road, the left cylinder sounded like it was the only one firing. at idle everything sounds great. under power going up the road. Not so much

Outside of that little issue. I have put daytona bars on it, Thanks mr.LONGHORN for the suggestion the riding position is so much more enjoyable. I have a new tank that I just recently finished painting and couldn't be happier with the results.

Once I get the last of the engine gremlins figured out I will get pictures of the new set up and show off. FLIGHT v.2.0

Keep wrenching
phil

Back
Top Bottom