Project: "HonkyKong" 1979 KZ750 B Twin (brat-tracker-thingy)

sinbad85 said:
awesome seatpan dude!!!!
Thanks. I was going to post some photos of my first attempt at the inner fender, but I can't find my camera today.

Does anyone know where I might find a set of exhaust collars for the 'G' headers I have? I'm missing ONE of the four 180 degree arcs. I need just the plain flat kind, not the stepped ones that the 'B' header flanges used. I see sets on Ebay, but they're stupid expensive and I just need ONE, not a full set of four.

Like this:
!B3RsYPgB2k~$(KGrHqZ,!hYE)75Z81,zBMlmyDPwEQ~~_35.JPG

Excuse the horrible cell phone pic, but here's my plan for creating a rear tire 'tub'. This is just a rough draft, it'll probably end up being about 1" wider than the max tire width, which should be overkill, since the widest part of the sidewall won't ever sit up that high, even under full compression. Now I'll have plenty of vertical clearance as well, without worry of tire rub on that rear edge of the seatpan.

7405164600_ee47b79291_z.jpg

As requested, here are a few pics of the modified seat pan. Big thanks to frash_c once again, for help with both the concept and implementation. I think it came out well for a couple of amatures. It looked prettier before we slathered it in silicone, but that side will all be covered with foam and vinyl at some point anyway.

I still needs to create a tab & slot mount for the front end, and no shown in these photos is the pressed in pemnut that will secure the rear, after I drill the frame tab to allow a mounting bolt to pass through it. That fastener will likely be a wingbolt, knurlded head, or some other 'tool-less' one to allow removal of the seat, for access to the electrical tray should I ever need quick access on the side of the road somewhere.

7520147266_cebeab136a_b.jpg

7520147144_6469ea2fdb_b.jpg

7520147310_a7cf5452c0_b.jpg

7520147088_af86101dac_b.jpg

I'll be doing a little hand sanding / dremel-ing of the edges, to soften them, in case or tire contact, but the tub is about 3/4" wider than the widest point of the tire's sidewall, so I'm confident I won't have any serious issues. This design won't allow me to have the seat foam as thin as I was hoping, as I'll still need some cushioning material placed on top of the tub, but I'll see how it all looks when I start layering it on.

That seat pan turned out pretty great. Between the Firestones and the rivet heads, your bike is starting to a have nice post WWII hot rod style to it. How about some fancy text on the tins to tie everything together?

fresh_c said:
How about some fancy text on the tins to tie everything together?
This graphic artist has volunteered to add some images to my tank, when it's ready for him. I plan to strip it raw, then sand and clearcoat it, giving him a clean slate to work with.

Examples of his work can be seen here. He's done work for local and international companies, including some of the T-shirts for Deus Ex Machina.

http://www.neighborhood-studio.com/

Some of his prints can be purchased here. I recently bought the "Animals A-Z" print for some friends to hang in their new baby's room.

http://store.neighborhood-studio.com/

I made up this little exhaust bracket over the weekend to support the rear of the system. Nothing fancy, but it does the trick. Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. I couldn't find my camera.

This was just cut up with an angle grinder and a drill. A bandsaw and belt sander would have provided a cleaner finished product, but I'm ok with it as-is, since it's mounted up under the frame.

Those are just simple rubberized P-clamps hanging off the lower rear frame tube.

7580007486_3f9bea8a2c_z.jpg

7580057574_64e709b1ec_z.jpg

Good idea on the exhaust bracket. I wondered how I would support the mufflers if I decided to cut off the rear portion of the frame with the passenger pegs. I think my mufflers sit a little higher but still something to file away for the future.

diggerdanh said:
Good idea on the exhaust bracket. I wondered how I would support the mufflers if I decided to cut off the rear portion of the frame with the passenger pegs. I think my mufflers sit a little higher but still something to file away for the future.
Yeah, this could easily be tweaked to accomodate higher-hanging pipes. If you're doing any kind of wider-spaced, angled-up mufflers, a similar (but better-finished) P-clamp could be hung from the rear tiangle of the frame too. Maybe some of the clamps used on Harleys for highway pegs, etc.

Something like these hinged ones, made by Kuryakyn:
Kuryakyn_P-Clamps_4014_P-Clamp_-_39mm___41mm_-_Chrome.jpg

Or a 3-piece bolt-on style:
4405-0009.jpg

I like your 2nd transformation of Project Grimey too. Well done.

Small update. Got some lights mounted up.

This bracket still needs paint, but I wanted to test fit it first, in case I needed to re-bend it.

7907901746_0a0e30aa4b_c.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll paint the rear one, of just leave it raw sheet aluminum. I may box the sides of it to better hide the socket base and wire leads out the back.

7907901246_6bb82b9cc4_c.jpg

7907900676_03afb55b9c_c.jpg

This build is looking fantastic! I might be stealing a couple of your ideas for my build haha. what did you paint that engine with and what did you paint the frame, wheels, small parts with.

zlittell said:
This build is looking fantastic! I might be stealing a couple of your ideas for my build haha. what did you paint that engine with and what did you paint the frame, wheels, small parts with.
Thanks. The frame, wheels, and small parts were just shot with some generic primer, then some gloss black Rustoleum from Lowes, I think. The engine was maybe the PJ1 VHT matte or satin black, whatever that high temp engine paint was at AutoZone. I think I got the 2000F stuff, and hope it holds up. I going off memory here, as I did it so long ago (it sat for the better part of a year, in peices, while I rehab'd from shoulder surgery in late 2011). I may have described it on earlier pages if you want to scroll back.

Feel free to steal ideas. Isn't that what sites like this are for? I have an "inspiration" folder of photos on my PC full of images borrowed from here, and various bikes from around the world wide interwebbings.

I have been considering adding some color to this bike, since much of it is SO black so far. I like some of the brown seats I've seen, but was considering adding some green to this old Kawi, while not actually using "Kawasaki green". What does everyone this of a meaterial similar to this distressed green leather:

http://cdn.jaysonhome.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/g/hg142060.jpg

...perhaps with a shape and diamond stitch pattern similar to this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=359999520743623&set=a.118016774941900.21775.117853428291568&type=1&theater

More updates. I got the $3 ebay horn (the stock one was huge, ugly, and would have been more difficult to reloate) mounted up and under the tank. It won't be visible when the tank is on, as seen in the profile shot. The aluminum plate was made extra long, so I can cut a horizontal slot into it to accept the tongue I'll be attaching to the nose of my seatpan.

I also mounted the voltage regulator outside of my custom electrical box, as recommended by many DTT members, for better cooling. It also frees up some very limited space within that box, which will house my mini battery, starter relay, fuse block, etc, as well as other necessary bits like my ignition switch, starter botton and horn button.

7921415712_a24fbe7125_c.jpg

7921416714_a45c945fd7_c.jpg

7921418174_e3e7f7857a_c.jpg

Playing around with some tank options. Stock vs. 3.3 gallon Sportster peanut tank ('96-'03 era?), which would obviously require a little fabrication work to make it fit / sit properly. I like stock.

7925002836_a6a6cdaf23_c.jpg

7925001818_8c32752861_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom