I think I need a valve job

XsjadoTwin

Been Around the Block
So have been finishing up this project on a very slow budget, and after having it started and running it runs great. No hiccups no stutters rides fantastic (as it should with only 5500 orig miles) but I DO hear a very noticable "clacking" and after some research it seems to be either the cam chain guide or the fact that i need a valve job.

I've don't have MUCH working knowledge but I have been doing a lot of research to educate myself otherwise. Now I have a miriad of help from neighbors (one who used to be a BMW motorcycle tech for over 10 years). But I was doing some.searching.on this forum (searched valve job) but didn't come up with.much.

Any links or advice on what is needed (my.neighbor is out of town until Thursday so I WOULD ask him but he's unavailable)

These bikes are inherently noisy in the valves. A loud valve is better than a silent valve.
Have you set your valve clearances? If they are too loose they get overly loud and sound like a sewing machine.

Might be helpful if you gave us a clue what bike you are talking about instead of us having to guess based on your profile picture.

"Needing a valve job" is not diagnosed by listening to the engine. You said it runs great, so what's the problem? Probably just need to adjust the valve clearance. It's touchy to get most of these bikes just right. Without the special tool, (which I made rather than bought,) it can be damned near impossible to get it perfect.

Sounds like you don't have much in the way of engine skills. Take it to a local shop and have them do it for you. Engine has to be stone cold for valve adjustment, so plan to leave the bike overnight.

Back
Top Bottom