rd125 build up, mini twostroke smoke

boobby

derp
picked this rd125 twin up at the Barber swapmeet this year for 250 bucks. i have owned a ton of rd's but never any of them smaller than a 250 so i jumped at the chance to get this little guy..motor has great compression, shifts through all the gears and the oil was pretty good looking when i drained it, still going to tear it down once i am done mocking everything up but hopefully wont need anything replaced..
I am planning on going for something close to a ta125 but still something that i wont mind taking out for a blast around town...so far i have converted the stock TK carbs out for dellorto phbg 21mm carbs by milling down the original reed blocks and using a pair of rd (actually banshee in this case) reed manifolds with reducers installed, modified a set of chambers to work with the stock headers (still going to cut and do spring mounts), built an additional section for a yamaha g5 tank that i had laying around, through some clip ons on, rebuilt the front hub (it was locked up), and started building the rearsets and linkage..
IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

sweet, glad to see people are going to be interested in this....
the reed plates are the same bolt pattern as rd350/250 and still a 4pedal reed but shrunk down for the 125 motor, i toyed with trying to machine out the intakes on the cylinders to put the bigger 250/350 reed blocks in but i am gonna just try and find another pair of cylinders to do that to

i dropped and broke the last cup for my tig torch right after the second tack weld when i was doing the rearsets this evening, still tried to weld them up (like an idiot), and am going to have to go back and grind them out and re weld them
IMAG0385.jpg

got the tail section all worked out. i ended up being able to re use the old seat loop and just add some 4130 tubing, and some sheet metal to it to make it work.

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

nicw job on the rear sets and tank extension, this is going to be a small cc screamer when finished

Cool bike. I just picked up a 200 for the wife. I will be interested how the whole engine package comes together.

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

just pulled the forks apart and rebuilt them, i still need to source out a upper tree with clamps for the fork tubes for a little adjustability

A clamping top tree is probably the single most effective improvement to front end stability too.
Those little 2ls front drums are the nuts :)

Back
Top Bottom