Thetoolman's 197? At1?!? Build

teazer said:
Interesting project. I can't get past the 3.5" x 17" front rim though. That's a touch wide for the front end of a seventies 125/175 dirt bike isn't it? What are you planning for the rear and what's the overall plan - mini motard or something different?

The 17x3.5" front might have not been the best choice if I'm being honest lol. The plan has been 17x3.5" front with 110-70 front tire, 17x3.5" rear with 130-70 tire, I'm gonna have to mount up a tire on this front hoop and see what it's gonna look like, if I'm not happy with the outcome I'll put the 110-70 on a 2.5".

The overall plan is I guess cafe with a bit of scrambler in it. This dt125 that I'll post a pic of has a huge inspiration to me on this build.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 226
Interesting.

But I like the wheels being almost the same size front and rear.

I'm in search of a little CB175 engine myself to do something like this.

Thanks guys! I took the frame up to work and got a bit of work done.
I decided to do something a bit different with the tail cowl this time, I bent up some tubing and cut it in half, then welded up a piece of straight tube in between them to give it a squared off look in the back, then I skelotonized the cowl with 3/4" chromoly tubing and welded it all up. I'm gonna make filler pieces out of fiberglass to inclose it. I should be able to get 2 anti gravity batteries back there.

Only thing left to do on the frame is enclose the subframe so the wiring will be hidden and make seat mounts and then the frame will be ready for powdercoat.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 231
View from the back.

Does anyone know why my photos keep getting turned sideways? I'm using the "attach files" underneath the message area.

Attachments

• IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
Got a little bit done last night and this morning.
got my triples back from the powdercoater last Friday so test fitted them to make sure this stem length is gonna work and that I got it straight lol. It's looking good!

Also got my woodcraft clip ons in the mail so test fit them, I'm probably gonna take them to be powdercoated, not really liking the matte black when everything else is gloss.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
Watching. This is neat!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks hurco550, glad to have ya here!

I also got the forks disassembled, and will get the upper tubes over to the powdercoater tomorrow. The fork tubes, wheel hubs and other random parts will be a really cool copper color.

My lowering springs came in last thursday from cannon racecraft and am still waiting on my spacers from racetech. Racetech has been kinda giving me the run around so hopefully they will be shipped out to me Monday and be here before I get the powdercoated parts back.

Attachments

• IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
And to give y'all an idea of how much clearance I'm gonna have with the 17x3.5" front wheel in a yz85 front end it's gonna be super close but I can work with this!

Custom Spokes have been ordered from buchanan's, as soon as they come in I'll get it laced up and trued and then can really start working out the front wheel clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 225
irk miller said:
Are you sure you can work with that? What about tire clearance?

I'm thinking so, If my calculations are correct the tire will only be 1/8 inch wider than the wheel. So .062 per side, I should be able to squeeze it in there (fingers crossed)!

Fiberglassing this evening! Hopefully this goes better than the last 4 times I've tried to make a tail cowl. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
You might want to try to stick a sheet of thick card stock on there and retain it with aluminum duct tape and then way it all so it can be removed from the card. Then create a slight frenched in rear panel to take the tail light.

Or get some flashing material from your local hardware store to use to create a semi stiff backing to avoid sagging. No one wants to see a saggy tail... :eek:

teazer said:
You might want to try to stick a sheet of thick card stock on there and retain it with aluminum duct tape and then way it all so it can be removed from the card. Then create a slight frenched in rear panel to take the tail light.

Or get some flashing material from your local hardware store to use to create a semi stiff backing to avoid sagging. No one wants to see a saggy tail... :eek:

That is normally what I would have done, either make a "mold" out of cardboard or foam but in this case I specifically wanted it to be saggy in the center to get the curves that I wanted going off the skeleton tubing. Which I think work great! I'll post a few pics of what I ended up with.

Back
Top Bottom