1956 Duratech S-13 "Project: Pop Can" (Boat) FINISHED 7/25/14

Re: 1956 Duratech S-13 "Project: Pop Can" (Boat)

Tim said:
I meant to ask about the marine plywood transom. Are you going to take the boards back off and coat them with epoxy or anything?

Sorry for the late reply, but yes. I am in the process of finishing them using Sikkens Cetol Marine finish. 2 coats of marine light, and 2-3 coats of gloss clear.

behrboy said:
Holy crap, you demo'd a wall in your house to bring a boat inside it?! You guys must have some easy going lady folk around!
Easier yet! No lady folk around.

Yesterday I spent me day ordering the supplies to polish the hull, and then I polished some smaller parts like the steering wheel rigging as well as the bow and 2 stern caps. The steering rigging was not bad, i just took it straight to the buffer and did the work but the three caps were a little rougher. They were rough aluminum castings so I sanded all the surfaces with 80-120-320-600-1000 grit sand paper. 320, 600 and 1000 grit was wet sanding with soapy water. once I got out most imperfections in the casting and all the gouges from the last 58 years. Then it was over to the buffer where I used black Emory compound on a sewn cotton wheel, then once they were all done with that step, I cleaned them off and buffed again with white rouge compound on a looser wheel. I will still need to do a final hand polishing to clean it well and put on a protestant.

Before sanding but after an acid wash:

After sanding:

After polishing:

The last 2 weeks have been full of polishing and waxing. The hull only took about 12-15 hours of actual work but it was physically demanding! It was about 5 hours per side and 3 hours for the topside and a few for waxing. I used a DeWalt 9" sander/polisher, a shaft extension, and a sewn cotton wheel. I used 2 different compounds: brown/black for cutting and white rouge for the final finish. Also use a different wheel for each compound as not to contaminate the compound or final finish. I had the machine at a high speed and applied the compound conservatively but often. A wheel rake was also helpful periodically to clean caked up wheels. There are many things people use for a sealer, I was going to use sharkhyde but I decided to just use paste wax. I will add that the paste wax dulled the polish a little bit but it still looks good. I will see how it holds up and if it does not I will just polish it again and use a sharkhyde type product. If anyone has questions on my process please feel free to contact me or post it here!

Side note, I left the strip down the middle of the hull unpolished- we are planning to add some color to the boat.

Here are some PICTURE!!:D
Halfway done:

And here is the boat %100 polished:

Wow, nice job, you will need sunglasses at all times in this thing on the water.

Sheesh! Come do mine :) Just don't cut any of my walls down!

I thought I would show what I looked like after buffing 1/2 of the hull! I was wearing a hat....

Hope you were wearing eye protection and a mask, the polishing compound will wear the lens off your retna and the aluminum dust will give you alzehimers. Would suck to be blind and not remember before you can enjoy the fruits of you labour. Safety meassage over, the boat looks great.

Maritime

Happy Easter everyone! I got a little work done this afternoon...The boat is finally out of the dungon and blinding everyone in the sunlight! It went up the stairs much easier than it went down :laugh: We got her on the trailer and all the rollers and bunks leveled up. There is still some touch up that needs to be done on the trailer paint in the comming weeks. We installed the new bow eye, and I broke out the buffer to polish up the seat caps. We ordered the paint for the intirior from Bass Pro and that is the next step to spray it.

Picture time!

Backing for the bow eye

Seat caps

oUg3FIe.jpg

Awesome project!

It has been a productive few weeks since my last update. To start with, we ordered and received a new windshield from Taylor made. It looks great and is very similar to the old one in style. However it is a little shorter and the curve for the bow is not as pronounced as the last one.

After hours and hours of trying to figure out what would be the best looking and easiest way to get the profile of the boat to meet up with the profile of the windshield, we decided to make an adapter/riser out of wood. We got a lumber yard to laminate 2 sugar maple boards into a 3-1/2in X 5-1/2in X 7 foot plank. The next step was to figure out a way to cut all the curves, accurately. We had a very anemic 1/4HP, bench-top bandsaw but there is no way it could do what we wanted. I hit craigslist and found a guy selling "wood saw" about an hour down the road, the picture was bad but I could tell it was a good sized band saw. That weekend my dad and I took his truck and trailer to the guy. It turns out it was an old industrial meat saw that was converted years ago for wood cutting (new table and blade) it weighed about 4-600 pounds and took a forklift to load on our trailer. THE man we purchased it from cleans out commercial foreclosures and was a very nice guy, we met at his shop and there was another saw that cought my eye by our new saw: it was a VERY large horizontal bandsaw (7X11" capacity) , jokingly I asked how much it was and if it ran (it did) and he says we could take BOTH saws for $250! ;D So the forklift was fired up again and onto our trailer it went. We didn't need the horizontal saw but... So we get the saws home, the wood saw got casters, a new and longer guide bar (not in the picture), new blade, brushes, and bearings. We rigged up a 220 extension cord so we can run it in the driveway (only have 220 in the basement) The saw ran amazingly, and will be getting a full resto in the future.

Back to the boat... we marked up the cuts for the board that were needed, I cut them up on the bandsaw, and they were fitted to the boat. The two tail pieces were done today, and are getting the first coat of finish now.

Next thing that happened in the last few weeks is we ordered a brand new Mercury Marine 20HP outboard with power start, remote steering, and power trim/tilt all the way from California! On Wednesday Santa came a little early this year and left this in the driveway!

I decided to build up a mobile outboard stand out of some left over wood we had, it turned out really well for only having a picture to go off of. It took just under 2 hours to build up. It holds the 115lb engine just fine and easy to move around.

The other thing we did today was to fill up the boat a foot deep with water one last time to check for any remaining leaks, i found one leaky rivit and sealed it up the the G-Flex used earlier in this thread. I also polished the transom supports and rear seats once the boat was drained.

The things we have in the works right now over the next few weeks: We have cushions being made for the two main seats (should be done later this week). Lots of wood pieces are being finished. We ordered paint and primer for the interior so the inside needs final prep and then when I have a free day and warm weather the interior will get painted by myself. After the interior is painted and cured, it will be off to a body shop to have a stripe painted on the exterior hull. Then starts final assembly!!!!

Got the boat all prep'ed and masked, time for primer tomorrow afternoon!

Got the primer sprayed today, it looks good! The top coat will be a light grey and applied tomorrow.

Attachments

• gjob.jpg
    gjob.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 769

As promised, I got the top coat sprayed on today! The products I used to paint the interior is Tuff Coat Marine. The primer is a water based, single part, metal specific. I sprayed it with a standard siphon feed pain gun i purchased at Harbor Freight. The top coat is again a single part, water based product. It is a rubberized coating so I needed to use a hopper feed/ textured pain gun, again purchased at harbor freight. This top coat went on very easy and covered very well, it took two coats sprayed about an hour apart. I used a gallon and a quart with only a little left over, the primer used about 1-1/2 quarts. The paint will have a full cure in about 5 days. On Tuesday the outside is going to get a red stripe sprayed at a body shop so hopefully by the weekend, I can start assembly of the boat!!

Hey man that looks sweet, Excellent work 8)

As of right now the boat is at a local body shop getting painted on the exterior, and will be picked up shortly. We have gotten some assembly done over two days.
Day 1, the seats were filled with foam (just window foam...probably not the best choice) and there was a piece of thin of lauan down to allow water to pass under the seats. We also installed the transom boards and mounting plate as well as the two stern corner caps and some rowlocks.

Day 2 of assembly:
Seat caps, backing boards to the dash, steering wheel mount, horn, bow light, bow trim strip, duratech serial # plate, bow shelf, and battery tray.

I love the warm contrast of the wood 8)

this is how I image you will look when you first put it on the water

Attachments

• smiley-face-journey.jpg
    smiley-face-journey.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 941
Back
Top Bottom