cb360 with cb500 front wheel

DaveD

I need guidance on swapping a 19" front wheel onto a 74 cb360 disc brake. I was told cb500t works, got a wheel, new bearings, rotor, and new tire and tube. First problem is it requires different spacers than stock wheel, no problem I can make those easy. Second issue is the cb500 rotor measures 10.75" and is 6 bolt. The 360 rotor is 10" and 4 bolt. If anyone has done this swap and cares to share info please let me know. Otherwise I guess I will be turning the rotor down 3/4" to fit.

cb360 with cb500 front wheel

The hub is different like you noted 6 bolts vs 4. If you got a cb500 wheel you need a cb500 rotor. If you have mounting holes on the forks they may be too low due to different rotor diameter. In that case you'll need a set of 500 forks and triple tree, because I believe the 500 forks are slightly larger diameter than 360. They definitely are on the 350. You'll need an all balls tapered steering stem bearing set to mount the 500 triple to the 360 frame.

What about making a mounting bracket to relocate the caliper from the stock position to clear the extra 0.75" on the 500 rotor?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I'm just in the process of doing the opposite!

Ie fitting the 550 forks but retaining the 360 hub.

The 550 hub is i believe wider than the 360, so ive made up spacers.
Youll need to reduce the size of the spacer, which might give you disk clearance issues laterally as well as vertically.

I'd change to 550 forks i think.

Steve

If the 500 has 35mm forks. I think you'd be better off doing a complete front end swap.

Isn't a stock 360 front wheel 19"? Maybe I'm missing something here (haven't even had my first coffee today yet) but why the swap?

EDIT:

Nevermind. Just looked it up. 360 front is 18. Ignore me... :eek:

Yes the 360 is 18"

I wanted to keep the 360 wheel, mainly because i just rebuilt it with new spokes, bearings, tyre etc.

So far, and ive yet to test ride....., the 18" wheel seems to go well in the 35mm forks from the 550.

Im hoping to get the thing rolling in test form this weekend......

Steve

I think there is confusion to what components you're trying to put together. Do you have 550 forks, a 500 wheel and a 360 disc?

Back
Top Bottom