WTB CB/CL350 Rear Distance Collar

Barnburner

Coast to Coast
This is good reason why you should sometimes do things yourself. A little over a year ago when I first tore down my CL350, I got all excited and sent my wheels off to a local shop to get new tires, tubes, bearings, and dust seals. I was just getting intimately familiar with bikes at the time and bearings were not something I wanted to mess up. Plus I didn't have a bearing puller and the shop is an authorized Honda dealer, so they got the parts in and both wheels back to me in like 2-3 days.

Flash forward to present day. My bike is almost all ready to go, I just need to install a new chain and get the rear wheel torqued down. Well, when I went to torque the axle I noticed that whenever I tightened the axle nut more than hand tight that there was some major drag/binding happening. So I took the axle back out and looked in the hub. There was a ton of slop in the center distance collar. I presume not having a solid connection through the wheel caused some pressure to be exerted on the bearing or at least somewhere it wasn't supposed to. I took a look at the parts fiche and realize that the shop left out a distance collar that fits inside the sprocket side rear wheel bearing (part #8 below)

honda-cl350-scrambler-350-k3-usa-rear-wheel_bighu0028f4015_7afb.gif

Thankfully, I had the "foresight" to keep the old parts the shop gave me when I got the wheels back. I ended up finding the distance collar I need, but the shop had welded a washer to it in what I assume was a cheap and easy way to get the bearing out because they didn't have the proper size blind bearing puller
banghead.gif

I've attempted to grind out the washer on the inside mating face to help separate it from the distance collar but no luck so far. I really want to get this bike back on the road, so I plan on just buying a replacement and slowly working on this one in the meantime. I could take it back to the dealer and make them fix it but I 'm now comfortable enough to do it myself and I honestly don't trust them with vintage bikes anymore. To make matters worse, apparently the distance collar has been classified as partus unobtainius from both the dealer and eBay. So, I was hoping someone with a parts bike could help a fellow member out. Any takers?

Thanks in advance!

Bump. Anyone grab a complete rear wheel recently and don't need the extra collars? I could use the help because I am having a hell of a time removing the welded washer from my original collar.

Did you try just shopping for that part number? Many oem parts are still at the dealer warehouses.

eyhonda said:
Did you try just shopping for that part number? Many oem parts are still at the dealer warehouses.

I did, it's Honda Part #42625-286-000. All the dealers I've tried list it as not available. Your comment did give me another idea though. I cross-referenced the part number for other models and found that the same collar was used on the following:

1976 CB360T
1976-77 CJ360T
1976-77 CB400F T

This gives me a few extra searches to do on eBay this morning. I'm hoping to find someone selling old bearings with one still attached. Not sure why anyone would sell old bearings but I've seen dumber things for sale on eBay. I may also find someone selling an old hub with it still inside. I've found several wheels for sale that would include it but I don't need a whole wheel and don't feel like paying 50+ for a collar. Worst case scenario if I can't find one I may have one machined for me. Even though I can't get it out of the old bearing I can still take measurements.

I can give you measurements. Mine is apart now and I'm just cleaning every part of the bike.

Thanks, that would be extremely helpful! Could you also check for me if there is a taper between the narrow 20mm part that goes through the bearing and the "head" of the collar that sits on the inside against the center piece?

Awesome, thanks eyhonda! No need to double check on the taper, I found an image of the part and it appears that it does not have one. BTW, what did you use to make the drawings?

Mission Accomplished! I got the collar out of the old bearing last night and back in with the new bearing. I had to completely grind off the welded washer with a little Dremel, which took a an hour or so and roughed up the collar a bit but it was nothing I couldn't clean up.

Here's a link to a 3D model (STEP file).
In case you wanted to have one CNC machined or printed out of some sintered metal:
https://a360.co/2QGGtnk

Attachments

• Rear Axle Distance Collar B.jpg
    Rear Axle Distance Collar B.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 472
Back
Top Bottom