'81 XJ650--Project "Maxim Destruction"

Man, that's eerie. after reading your reply on my thread, and about the similarities between our Maxims, I decided to check yours out. We're running the same tank, same mirrors and even the same from turn signal indicators, and I've never seen your bike, before. Scares me to know there's someone else out there that thinks like I do!!

;D

Haha, yeah, and now that I've ridden it for a couple of hours, I've realized that a bum-stop like the one on your bike, although not ENTIRELY necessary, would come in handy. Right now, it builds upper-body strength on hard takeoffs, haha.

Well, this is a bittersweet moment for me. I've basically finished what I needed to get done on the Maxim, and it's a fun ride ;D , but the last wave of student loans is coming due this month, and money is going to be extremely tight, which forces a quick sale of the Maxim :'( . I can't leave this thread without posting some halfway-decent pics of it though, so here ya go:

IMG_6961.jpg

IMG_6962.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

Now that I have it pieced together, there are about a dozen more things I'd like to do to it to make it a bit more cohesive, like larger, custom-made side covers for instance. For all I know, I'll have time to do some of those things before it's sold, but I don't have the luxury of waiting--AES (the student loan people) make sure of that.

One thing is for sure, I will be planning the next project before this one is even sold, and I will stick around here and make corny jokes and throw my two cents around in the meantime. As soon as I land a teaching job, I'll start campaigning for the next bike :D . I may need to move though, because teaching jobs in PA are about as common as a three-legged ballerina.

Well, here is a parting shot of the ol' Maxim Destruction, heading off with its new owner. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm sure it won't be long until I have another project going.

0618111007.jpg

that sucks you had to sell her off so soon i hate it when that happens, but it was a good lookn' bike.

School loans coming due this month, and budget is already tight. Gotta sacrifice temporarily. I'll have something else soon enough, but family finances come first.

Well, because of the fact that I listed it in the DTT classifieds, and it's no mystery what I was asking for it, I don't mind tossing it out here. I got $1250 for it, which is roughly what they're going for on craigslist in decent running condition. I had several people talking to me about it, and I might have gotten more if I had waited, but I didn't have that luxury. I'm happy.

Hey, what kind of master cylinder was that you were running? I'm looking around for a decent replacement from stock, as the banjo bolt is screwing up my control placement with my clip ons.

I wouldn't use the same one again--It's from a '97 TL1000R, but is set up for dual disc and does not supply the correct pressure in relation to brake lever squeezing force. In other words, you have to squeeze it harder than normal. So make sure you grab one from a single disc bike. FYI

Back
Top Bottom