CB200T build - nearly completed. see page 8 and 9 for pics

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
Picked up a 1975 CB200T from a young lady locally off craigslist. Total cost was $60 for an overall nice bike with only 3600 original miles. It had been sitting for 25 years outside at a salvage yard. The person I got it from bought it from the salvage yard and did some minimal work on it. Only kicker is that there is no title.

A couple pictures below of the condition that I got it in. Came with a tank that was clearly not stock, and clearly did not fit. I picked up the CB200T tank on ebay. Tires were rotten, wheels are somewhat rusty, but the engine looked real nice. I decided to try starting it up. Second kick and it started right up. Runs and idles real well.

DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0612.jpg

Re: my CB200T build

picked up a cb200t tank at local junk yard. Green one. GOt it mounted and discovered it was a little more beat up than I thought. Had some dents on sides and a large dent underneath the rubber trim piece down the center. Ended up selling on ebay and got my money back that I put into it.

P1050998.jpg

Followed a few auctions on ebay and ended up getting this orange one for $175 with tank and both side pieces. A little more than I wanted to spend, but the tank was in excellent condition- no dents and only surface rust inside. Trim and rubber pieces are good.

P1060002.jpg

P1060003.jpg

turned my attention to motor. The previous owner had cleaned carbs out real good. I took the engine side covers and head covers off to inspect. Everything inside looked real clean. It was missing the generator stator so I picked one up on ebay. Took the starter out and used a Dorman rubber freeze plug to cover hole for starter. Made my own gaskets out of gasket material using an OEM set of gaskets as a template. THe OEM gaskets are getting stored in a filing cabinet for future use if needed.
I sanded down covers and sprayed with VHT aluminum paint and baked as directed to harden/cure.

P1060032-1.jpg

P1060035-1.jpg

P1060037.jpg

P1060040-1.jpg

P1060041-1.jpg

P1060042-1.jpg

some more work on the bike:

used some aircraft stripper from autozone and stripped all the paint off the cb200 tank.

picked up some cl175 pipes from interceptor on this forum. they fit the 200 nicely. condition on these pipes is excellent. Also, the pictures show the engine back together after having cleaned, degreased, and sprayed them with VHT engine paint.

P1060144.jpg

P1060145.jpg

P1060146.jpg

P1060149.jpg

P1060150.jpg

P1060151.jpg

trying to decide on a tail section. Either going with a bates 1 type seat from airtech or maybe this tail seen below from glass from the past:
I like the rounded look to it. Its a little more unique of a look. Only problem will be fitting some tail lights into the curve of the back.

P1060140.jpg

love the looks of the scrambler pipes...glad you went with them they look brilliant.

Did you get a title for it? Hate to rain on your parade but you need to be able to show off all the hard work you put into it. Would suck to not be able to ride it in public. Nice work though. I have a cb200t in my project pile also.

Where is that tail on the Glass from the Past site? I actually like it a lot.

FNG said:
Did you get a title for it? Hate to rain on your parade but you need to be able to show off all the hard work you put into it. Would suck to not be able to ride it in public. Nice work though. I have a cb200t in my project pile also.

Have been working that angle and found a solution. Interceptor (who posted above) is selling me his titled cb200t frame next week. A simple swap to the new frame when it arrives and I am good to go. I am only doing a mock-up right now. Once the new frame comes, i will send it off to be blasted and powder coated anyways.

On a side note, I did have a back-up plan on place. The state of Wisconsin was going to require me to get a surety bond for about $125, and then I could get a "bonded title" on the current frame that I have. Only problem there is that I am stuck with the bike for five years because in Wisconsin it takes five years for you to be able to convert a bonded title into a regular title- which means I couldn't sell it or anything during that time.

So, thanks again to interceptor for not only getting me these sweet ass pipes, but also for hooking me up on the frame and title too. Interceptor, if you see this, I might end up taking those shocks after all from you. Will decide and let you know.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

More pics coming soon showing the forks that I recently rebuilt and refinished. Wheels are getting refinished as I write this. TOok them to the local powder coater and he has stripped them down and is getting ready to powder coat within the week. Went with gold wheels. Yahh baby! Going to end up doing a tribute of some sorts to the old Honda Rothman's racing bikes- gold wheels, maybe a honda blue frame, and white/ red/ gold bodywork. haven't decided on exact color scheme yet but I felt like doing some bling on the wheels at least.

FNG said:
Where is that tail on the Glass from the Past site? I actually like it a lot.

Its too new for the website. Here is a link to glass from the past flickr picture pages which shows it on a 160.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caferacingparts/sets/72157610711553889/show/
Its one of the orange bikes about halfway through the slideshow. It can also be seen on a black bike too.
The name of the tail section is the CJEKRS
specs per Brett at GFTP are:
5" wide at the front
7.5" wide at the hump
15.5" of seating area
23.5" total length
5.5" tall at the hump
price is $225 upholstered without snaps.

A possible inspiration for the color scheme on my cb200

BIMOTAHDB-2SportRoadster.jpg

always liked the rothmans colors too:

ROTHMANS-HONDA-500.jpg

Wow, you've gotten a lot done for 1 day...... :D

Have you seen stik70's cb200? That first pic you posted made me think if it.

Big Rich said:
Wow, you've gotten a lot done for 1 day...... :D

Have you seen stik70's cb200? That first pic you posted made me think if it.

I wish I got all that done in one day ;D . Been working on it about a month but am just now getting time enough away from the wife, 4 year old, and bike to post up some pics and discussion. From here on out, I will try to update more often as I progress along.

yep, i have seen that build. great bike but mine will be going in a different direction for sure.

Nice bike/build. Those pipes look great and expensive... I think I paid $150+ for mine with a hacked up muffler and no shields. Those look pretty minty.

Nice progress so far and a Rothman's rep would look good. Don't be tempted to f*%k up those pipes by hacking off the mufflers now will you....:)

DSHEP said:
Nice bike/build. Those pipes look great and expensive... I think I paid $150+ for mine with a hacked up muffler and no shields. Those look pretty minty.

Yes, the pipes are nice. They have a little rust and grime on them, which don't show up on pics, but are in the best condition I have seen on a set. I got them for a good price. They are 175 pipes, which are usually significantly cheaper than 200 pipes, but they fit OK- not perfect but OK. I tried finding actual cl200 pipes, but they are much more expensive.

teazer said:
Nice progress so far and a Rothman's rep would look good. Don't be tempted to f*%k up those pipes by hacking off the mufflers now will you....:)

agreed, my plan is to leave them intact and not hack off the muffler. That is why I am so happy with these pipes. Most pipes I have found out there have a rusted out muffler. This muffler/ silencer is actually very nice so I will probably leave it alone. The only problem is that these are 175 pipes and there are some minor clearance issues near where the silencer and shocks are. Should work out though.

got the wheels back from powder coat. Believe it or not, the color is gold metallic with a gold pearl clear coat. In bright sunlight it looks gold but otherwise it looks kinda yellow to me. Unfortunately not the look I was going after but I will have to deal with it. I will say they did a great job fixing the wheels up. They were pretty rusty and the spokes where rusted on. I didn't want to spend $700 on a new set of wheels, so I just had them powder coat the wheels, hubs, and spokes all together. I won't be able to true the wheels anymore, but then again, I couldn't true them anyways due to the rust. Fortunately they are perfectly trued already.
Was going to powder coat the frame and swingarm red, but now I am not so sure because of the wheels looking yellow. Might have to go with plain old black with maybe a white, black , and gold/yellow tank. Thoughts?

P1060172.jpg

P1060177.jpg

P1060178.jpg

picked up some "vintage" clip ons from ebay too. They are 31mm and nice shape. Don't know the brand other than the seller said they were vintage 70s NOS.
P1060181.jpg

i would like to see a seat like that on a 200 i was thinking the same thing for my 200 but not sure how it will look

Back
Top Bottom