cb350 cam chain tensioner

liam

1970 cb350/1980 xs250/2004 klx400/BMW E30 323I
hi guys,
i've pulled the cylinders off my engine, and as i suspected, the tensioner roller is a mashed piece of rubber. the guide is a little worn as well, but i'm not sure if that needs to be replaced.
what are my options? i don't really want to spend alot of money on a boretech slipper, but i also don't want to have to do another engine rebuild while i own this bike. ohiocaferacers mentioned something about extinct metal rollers somewhere as well. are these a better/cheaper option then the stock rollers?
i assume all the stock parts are still available from honda, if not i can still get them from europe.
i'd appreciate hearing some pro's and cons of all of the options, instead of just reading 'if you're racing use a slipper' which doesn't really help me. thanks

The large roller wheel is around $12-$15 but the bracket with the small wheel is around $75, probably still available from Honda.

thanks drJ, i need to replace the whole lot. it seems on disassembly that the tensioner was in the fully out position, which probably allowed the cam chain enough slack to totally demolish the rubber wheels.

here's the guide, does it need to be replaced? i'm guessing yes, hoping no
camslider.jpg

i'm thinking i may as well upgrade to the slipper, for the $50 difference. unless i can find new wheels for a lot cheaper.
i'll go visit the honda dealer

Back
Top Bottom