1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR belt "Project X" pic heavy. finished project.

mark13018

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice
Hey guys, So I have been a little slow on keeping up with all of my projects so I have some down time due to being sick and coughing up my left lung that I'm playing hookie from work since I'm not getting much sleep but I'm working in the garage a little in between naps... I have updates on my other projects and another new one also.

Anyways. I picked up this little dude a couple weeks back and have been working on other things but recent events led me to make this a current build... First off SPOILER ALERT!! Anyone looking at this that knows me or my brother personally, keep your yapper shut. This is a surprise for him... My brother helps me out a TON and he doesn't list his builds on here but I know he looks on here from time to time but I'm meeting him Friday so I'll be clear after that... He recently had a house fire that started in the garage. The fire department got there in time to save the house from most of the damage but the garage was pretty much gone and everything in it. His cafe he was "finished" with (no build is ever finished) and we just went riding a couple weekends ago. He had his wifes car in the garage, my cafe racer parts that were getting the final clear coat buffing and polish, our granny's moped, a go kart, riding mower, tools, mc parts, riding gear, etc., etc., a lot of stuff gone... So for my brother I decided I would make this KZ305 into a mildly done "tracker" style bike and get it running good and let him finish the customization since he has his own ideas... First I'll give you the pics of my brothers 1974 CB450 two weeks before the fire and a week after and pics of the kz305 when I got it.

OXXS4wS.jpg

Bpn1ZVP.jpg

1LMke4V.jpg

The PO wanted to get rid of it because he was having trouble with the left cylinder firing. He put a new plug in it and still couldn't get it right :eek: . So I bought it. Tearing it down I noticed SEVERAL things wrong with the carbs and one of them was this. They glued the one choke relief flap down with superglue so then I had to go through the carbs entirely because I had no clue what else they could have done. Upon inspection, the spring on the back side of the flap had also been cut and wouldn't hold it shut even if I could get the glue off. Found out the bent the sync bar down because they had the washer on the wrong side and they were impossible to sync or even run properly like that. Also was missing the vacuum pilot screw completely, Hmmm something else too... There was a lot wrong with them. I checked everything with the carbs to put them back to factory specs. Got another set of carbs to rob the butterfly out of. Put them back on the bike, ran it, it ran like shit. Idling at 1500 then surging to 3000 back and forth. Had to be a ignition or timing problem so I started tearing that down. The points plate was turned about 10 degrees and I checked the points before moving anything else and the points were almost touching the entire rotation :eek: So I adjusted the points plate and then the points to factory spec... So I thought, while I'm here, might as well check the valves, I did and they were spot on!! 8) ... Adjusted all that and put it back together and ran damn near perfect... I should have known to check those since the PO gave the bike to me with the carbs off and an "extra points plate, condenser, and points".

EsS8Zm8.jpg

A good friend of mine that is in a MC club with my brother and I decided he would give me a hand with some things and he came over to brain storm and throw a little elbow grease in on it... We looked it over and thought the lines in the frame it would make a good tracker or brat style bike. so demolition commenced... We cut the seat foam down to a look we liked... I then took the side covers and tank and plastidip spray painted them to matte black. They turned out awesome IMO from a amateur at best painter and plastidip which I was unsure of.

VlFkPM4.jpg

EhYwcy1.jpg

kxC1JDO.jpg

qJqZSCg.jpg

I then went to a local fabric store to get a thin piece of foam to soften my roughness with the steel wheel on the foam. Wrapped it, this didn't turn out as good as I would have liked but still looks pretty good. I cleaned it up quite a bit and put some clubmans on it upside down for now to go with the theme but if he decides he wants it more "cafe" style he can still use them without spending more money right now..... PICS!!! ;D

GPYvCLA.jpg

bHhdWRD.jpg

guyNvRZ.jpg

LOwdqzT.jpg

xtrpVcl.jpg

C2qX5jr.jpg

I'm leaving some things unfinished due to the fact that it is going to my very creative brother who is amazing at paint and fabrication so I know he will be changing quite a bit and I didn't want to start chopping tabs of and what not if he may want it for some reason. But I did notice when I was riding it the clutch seemed to possibly be slipping a little bit and the steering felt really weird so after a quick spin through the addition a couple times I got back and put it on the center stand to find out that the steering was pretty sluggish and almost "clicked" or "fell" into place at center and far left and far right. So it was a minor set back in the project and looked like I would be replacing some steering bearings. I immediately ordered a set of all balls tapered bearing for it and those should be here tomorrow and I'm going to throw them on right away so it will be complete for him on this Friday.... I took the front end off and took the races out to see some pretty heavy dimpling in the races and bearings seemed to be worn or loose fitting.... Should be easily thrown back together tomorrow after the mail is delivered and ready for Friday ;D

Uuoe59P.jpg

Back
Top Bottom