VIKINGS

4eyes

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
IDK if you guys have seen the new show on the History Channel "VIKINGS", but it is pretty good. They are having a marathon today, so it is easy to get caught-up. 8)

Since it is snowing here (hopefully the last of the season) we are curling-up by the fire-place and watching. ;)

The lead character Ragnar......whatshisass....looks a lot like our own Kanticoy (only according to Kelly he has "even more dreamy eyes" LOL). ::)

Yes! We love that show. Getting pretty into it ourselves.

And Denise says that guy looks like me too. I don't see it, but who ever thinks that someone else looks like them?

IDK but we have been watching it too. IMO not as good as the old Cecil B. Demille shows like "The Ten Commandments" , but no major flaws either.

Love the Vikings! You can watch on line at history channel. They have next weeks show posted on Monday and only a couple of one minute commercials.

My wife, maiden name Erickson from Norway many moons ago and I whos famliy decended from the Anglo Saxons love the show and watch it together.

Big fans of it. We're both former SCA members so we kind of pick out the historical "oopses" in it (surprisingly few). Lisa wants me to build her a boat like Ragnar's (ain't happening), I'd like to build a string of smaller Norse structures above our pond, wanted to do that since 1999 though. Someplace for fellow riders and history buffs to come unwind.

Monday Mornings is another good one if you haven't caught it yet.

Z2Z said:
Love the Vikings! You can watch on line at history channel. They have next weeks show posted on Monday and only a couple of one minute commercials.

Do they have episode 5 up yet? Does it get posted with the other episodes?

Several years ago I was a regular visitor to France and we came across a Viking Re-enactment group that held a two week camp at one of the places that was known to have been regularly raided, and then settled by the Vikings [ Normandy ].

The camp was bi-annual as every alternate year they would re-enact the Battle of Hastings - the "Vikings" morphing into Normans !

I too love that period of history, but have recently got into the activities of Herman [ Arminius ] and the battle of the Teuteborg Forest against the Roman Legions. It's only 200kms or so from our place in Saxony and has ongoing archeological involvement.

Beachcomber with "Ragnar"

img082_zpsfbf16b62.jpg

Garage Rat said:
Not too strict on the reinacting, A tubler with ice... Wheres the horn?

This guy [ the lookout ] had been perched on this mound for hours whilst the battle enactments took place in the valley.

The girl in the pic had just taken pity on him and brought him a glass of iced Calvados. Despite the overcast picture it was a stinking hot day and the Viking raiding party had just rowed ashore 2 hours earlier in their replica longboat.

The encampment was pretty believable with typical foods and drink being available for the public to try - although that stopped short at the raping and pillaging.

I'm waiting for someone to gut the Earl's short pompous second in command. ;)

Garage Rat said:
Anyone here think the priest is going to turn for the vikings?

He's being assimilated in their culture but will eventually turn them on to Christianity.

Back
Top Bottom