insurance question

jeff1727

hey,

my bike is at the mechanic right now getting certified and i was hoping i could ride it home when its done so i'm trying to find insurance. i've called around and got a quote from john duffy and jevco both for around $1200. after hearing how much some people pay for their insurance i feel like thats kind of high, not sure tho because i've never gotten bike insurance before. how much should i expect to be paying?? is it normal to be paying as much as what i bought the bike for? anyone know an insurance company i can call for a cheaper quote?

some info:
1st bike
never had motorcycle insurance before
had m2 for about 3 years now
did a rider training course
bike is a 74' honda cb360 bought for $1500.
no tickets or accidents in the past 3 years

any help will be appreciated

thanks!

HOLY SHIT!!...
That much.. did they say why its so expensive?
I was paying $350 or so for my cb350 with Jevco.
That was the price that John Duffy got me...

Tell those guys to jam it. When I got my first bike a few years ago my insurance for a 400 maxim was just under 400.00 a year for liability insurance. I had less time riding than you do. How old are you? Try primmum insurance for a quote.

Primmum doesn't insure bikes over 30 years old and most others won't insure bikes over 25 years old. Jevco is probably the only insurance co. that deals with vintage bikes. Duffy deals with Jevco.

Try State Farm. I've switched to them. They still do a month to month billing, unlike Jevco, and they don't care if you have an M1 or a full M. They look at your driving career as a whole, so, G, A, D, M, whatever else you may have. Their policy on this has changed in the last year or so, in case you're wondering. They also go by cc's for the bike, and don't care if it was made in 1903 or 2008. I know I'm still paying too much as compared to what these other guys are getting, but I can't seem to get a quote from Jevco that's anywhere near to $350 a year.......ANYWHERE! Believe you me, I've gotten quotes from SO many different places it's ridiculous, and they're all the same price for Jevco and Kingsway.

If you're under 25, and it's your first year riding, don't expect to find any deals, no matter what you're riding.

Have you contacted Dairyland? I think mine is somewhere around $50 a year for liability on the '75 CL360. (Of course I'm over 50, too.)

finally got some quotes that made a bit more sense. after dozens of quotes ranging from $1010 - $1245, i finally called a easyway that quoted me $675 and allstate was for $77/month, which is still about $900plus. but allstate said if i move my car insurance with them it will go down by $20/per month. but what i dont get is i got quotes from brokers telling me the cheapest one they found was jevco for $1245 but easy was able to quote me half the price and they said it was also through jevco?

oh and some insurance places were asking if i was a member of a bike club. are there clubs that will get you cheaper insurance?

I'm paying just over $1500 for my 78 CB550 with Kingsway (via SurNet). I got a discount for being in a bike club...I just told them that I post on DTT. ;) Actually I joined some online 'bike club'. It was about $30. I'll post the URL tomorrow.

I thought Jevco was the only place that would insure bikes over 30 years?? Why am I paying up the a$$?

I'm 25, first year riding (M1 in March), took the course. Am I paying too much? Or rather, could I be paying less?

First year is always higher. Have you gotten a quote with Jevco? Call JR Duffy Insurance. You should be paying much less in my opinion. My friend is paying $900 for his BMW R90 (900cc) in his first year and it will drop to $650 or so next year. I pay $550 for my BMW R75 (750cc). Your 550 should be in the $750 range for your first year and $500 next year.

Holy shit, you guys up there are paying alot!!! I'm only paying $125 for full coverage the whole year. That's with Geico.

I think I'm paying the same through Progressive ($3000 agreed value). They do pay a mint up there!

--Chris

From what I understand there is a large difference in coverage between typical US and Canadian policies. Typical Canadian policies cover $1 million in liability and $1 million in property damage, not including any collision or comprehensive coverage you may have. What's your coverage like down there in the states, fellas?

Jeff, Represto... the magic age number seems to be 30 years old. Once you're over 30 rates drop considerably (mine dropped almost in half when I went over the hill). But regardless, if it's your first year with a license then you will also pay more. That said, my first bike when I was in my mid-20's a few years back was a '78 XS400 and I paid around $600/yr in insurance. I'm 32 now, FYI, and paying about $750/yr for an 800cc new Bonneville (clean record).

Best thing to do is shop around - make a half-a-dozen calls to different brokers/companies.

fugue said:
From what I understand there is a large difference in coverage between typical US and Canadian policies. Typical Canadian policies cover $1 million in liability and $1 million in property damage, not including any collision or comprehensive coverage you may have. What's your coverage like down there in the states, fellas?

Mine's nowhere near that. Mine's $120k. That's clearly where the difference is. I'm also 31, so that helps as well.

--Chris

My friend starting riding last year. He had a permit when he was riding his 750cc bike and recently got a motorcycle license after taking the MSF course.

He told me he pays $350 a year for Liability and Uninsured Motorists. I'm not sure through which company. I'm just choosing those option when the time comes for me to shop around for motorcycle insurance.

roughly 70 a month with my car also on state farm
cb750, I am 27, and I only have an M1 ....havent spent a single day on the thing yet though :(

Apparently many companies do not charge to cancel policies. I cancelled mine just as it came due, and actually got a 50 dollar credit! sweet!

First year riding was $120 for me in the states (liability - underinsured/uninsured motorists) that was a few years ago when i was 22, it was a 1981 Yamaha 250cc. I have yet to check what my 500cc project will cost.

*whistle*

80 cb750, went with progressive (multi vehicle discount) and was $75 for a year liability/under/un in the states.
inexpensive here because coverage is pretty lacking for basic. my car is 500/300 (i think, might be 500/500) and its about 1.2k/ year. but the bike is 50 bodily 15 property and 50/50 under/un.

**edit**
just logged in and noticed i just got the 3 year clean and clear discount, it's considerably lower now ;D

Back
Top Bottom