possile project need advice

theocide

i was offered a bike today for "a few hundred bucks" from what I can see, it looks like an 82 gs450L but im not sure . Im tempted to get it and just see what i can do as its going to be my first street bike. The guy who offered will get it running for me too. Any ideas or knowledge i may want to know would be much appreciated.

a running bike for a few hundred dollars? the GS450 looks like every casual jap bike from the 80s, sweeping lower frame to the rear, and those hideous ducktail 2up seats. if it has a title i would pick it up.

Yep... title being the operative word here... If it doesn't have a title, then check the laws in your state to see how much of a pain in the ass it'll be to get a title. If that pain in the ass is acceptable, then at least try to get him to knock some money off the price.

yeah its definatly going to need a new seat , the one on there is incredible ugly. Has anybody seen a caffinated gs450 or is that just something that would get me laughed at? The title is there and everything, its my bands bassists dad so hes hooking me up since he already has something like 10 bikes around his property. Im going to check it out some more today .

Mine's still a work in progress - and it's not an "L", but they have good potential as a cafe ;)

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6004.0

Also, here's a 250 build:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=110431&highlight=GS250

Like the others have said, if it's running and has a title it'd be a good starter ;D

I have a an '81 GS450 that i'm currently making into a cafe....... no seat yet, i'm still rebuilding the motor..... but here is a good "starter" pic.

Started as;

UglyGS450.jpg

As it sits;

rollingframe.jpg

I think it would make a great cafe. I had an 82 450T for a few weeks. I wanted to cafe it but it was too nice to hack up. Nice little twin that had some pretty decent get up and go. Not really sure how fast, but it would bury the 85mph speedo pretty easily.

I converted a '79 550L into a cafe racer so I wouldn't let the current looks scare you off.

Here is a before and after of mine.

various175.jpg

gs_550036.jpg

Go for it and post up pics of the progress!

Byrd

Back
Top Bottom