74 CB200 Gaskets

hecklejk

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, I just got an email from the ebay seller I bought my gasket kit from. He told me that I got the last one he had and that it had some major water damage so he was refunding my money. Thing is I REALLY needed that gasket set as I am in the process of rebuilding my motor. Does anyone know a good source for gasket sets for this bike? I need all of the engine gaskets, because I am taking all the covers off to clean and paint them.. Any direction would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Kevin

hecklejk said:
the gaskets I need are not available on their site either!!! Thanks for the lead though.

I had a look and yes, the CB200 gaskets are no longer available from Honda themselves, not just the retailers. Anyone else with suggestions?

DrJ said:
I had a look and yes, the CB200 gaskets are no longer available from Honda themselves, not just the retailers. Anyone else with suggestions?

Can I use 3 ply gasket paper to make my own? I dont really want to but I may have to!!

hecklejk said:
Can I use 3 ply gasket paper to make my own? I dont really want to but I may have to!!

Yes, I cut my own gaskets all the time. Just make sure it's similar thickness to stock. But you can't do that for the head gasket, it's coated metal, maybe you can reuse it by giving it a coat of liquid gasket. Also, there are rubber o-rings and seals that can't be reused. If you can find similar replacements, you're good.

Edit: Looked again and the rubber o-rings are still available.

DrJ said:
Yes, I cut my own gaskets all the time. Just make sure it's similar thickness to stock. But you can't do that for the head gasket, it's coated metal, maybe you can reuse it by giving it a coat of liquid gasket. Also, there are rubber o-rings and seals that can't be reused. If you can find similar replacements, you're good.

I have a NOS head gasket, got it from ebay. I just need the gaskets for the engine covers, points cover and other misc gaskets. I have used gasket maker before on my 75 International Scout II and it seemed to hold up well. Thanks for the advise, I will pick up a roll of gasket paper today.

Where do the rubber O rings go in the engine? I did not see any when I took the motor apart.

Afraid you're going to be looking at the vintage parts suppliers.

Now (it's a quiet day at work), I did some looking up what you needed (using a 1976 CB200T - I believe the K0's et. al. were the same) and came up with the following part numbers:

12391-354-306 Cylinder Head Cover
12251-354-405 Head Gasket
12191-354-306 Base gasket
11394-302-306 Right cover gasket (this one is still available, at least 20 on the shelves between two warehouses)
11395-302-307 Left cover gasket

Hope this helps.

Syke said:
Afraid you're going to be looking at the vintage parts suppliers.

Now (it's a quiet day at work), I did some looking up what you needed (using a 1976 CB200T - I believe the K0's et. al. were the same) and came up with the following part numbers:

12391-354-306 Cylinder Head Cover
12251-354-405 Head Gasket
12191-354-306 Base gasket
11394-302-306 Right cover gasket (this one is still available, at least 20 on the shelves between two warehouses)
11395-302-307 Left cover gasket

Hope this helps.

Any clue what vintage suppliers to start with? Thanks for the part numbers, I will start looking around.

Ohio Cycle advertises itself as 1959-1969 only, although some of the parts numbers do carry over. It's a real good source. although a bit crazy to deal with as they don't do on-line ordering (they have an on-line catalog), order have to be written and mailed, and payment is money order (no personal checks or credit cards). Nothing like 1969 mail order rules. ;D

Next step is to do a Google search under "vintage Honda motorcycle parts" - that'll bring up a number of places who deal in the stuff. And outfit called Western Hills Honda in southern Ohio has done me good stuff in the past.

By the way, I'm not sure how conversant you are on Honda part numbers, but the critical part is to get the xxxxx-xxx- (first two number groups) matching. The first is the part definition (first two digits are the function, the remaining three are the component). The second group is the product code. Every unit that Honda has designed has a product code. Totally numerical ones are old, currently they're either alphabetic or alphanumeric (for example, a Metropolitan scooter is GET, one model of lawn mower is ZL8). Yes, I'd love to know what 001 is. Most likely a 1949 Dream.

The third group in the part number is the classification, and it changes with every revision to the part. Among other reasons, most of which I'm not privy to. Say for example, you're looking for that right sidecover gasket (11394-302-306) and you find a 11394-302-000. That's the same part, just an earlier version - it'll work just fine.

To further confuse the issue, if that last group is a five digit alphanumeric (say, 000ZA) that means it's a painted part, and the two letters on the end delineate the color.

Confused? It's actually very rigid and organized. About the only bit that doesn't work like you'd expect is that final classification group doesn't go up in one digit increments (000, 001, 002, etc.) I have no idea what governs the change, I just know that the higher number in classification, the newer the part.

Not sure if you have seen these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB200-CL200-GASKET-TOP-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem3350cf720dQQitemZ220399104525QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB200-GASKET-KIT-SET-A-GENUINE-PARTS-JAPAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem3ca0e89295QQitemZ260397634197QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

saywhat said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB200-CL200-GASKET-TOP-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem3350cf720dQQitemZ220399104525QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB200-GASKET-KIT-SET-A-GENUINE-PARTS-JAPAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem3ca0e89295QQitemZ260397634197QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I did see them, and I am going to buy one of them.. But I also need the engine cover gaskets as well.

saywhat said:

Just for the hell of it, I did a search on the listed part number (06110-354-000) and came up zilch. The sequence is correct for a general gasket kit (Honda usually offers two for each bike, one's a complete set, the other's a top end set), and the product code appears to be correct for either the CB or CL200 (haven't figured out which is 354), so it looks like a safe bet. The number's absence from the American parts fiche is probably due to it having been dropped decades ago. Not surprised it's available from Thailand, as that's reaching towards a big bike in that market.

Syke said:
Just for the hell of it, I did a search on the listed part number (06110-354-000) and came up zilch. The sequence is correct for a general gasket kit (Honda usually offers two for each bike, one's a complete set, the other's a top end set), and the product code appears to be correct for either the CB or CL200 (haven't figured out which is 354), so it looks like a safe bet. The number's absence from the American parts fiche is probably due to it having been dropped decades ago. Not surprised it's available from Thailand, as that's reaching towards a big bike in that market.

Skye, thanks for looking for me! I am thinking that I might just make some new gaskets for the engine cases.. The old ones are still in one piece, so I can use them as templates to cut some new ones... who knows I might make a few and see if I can sell em on ebay!!! I doubt that there is much of a market for them, but who knows!!

Back
Top Bottom