520 Chain Conversions for CB350 CL360 CB400 CB450 CB77

Re: Re: 520 Chain Conversions for CB350 CL360 CB400 CB450 CB77

MotoMadness said:
Let us know what other bikes you guys guys are interested in having some 520 Conversion kits for.

KZ400. Would also work on 440s with belt drives too for those guys who can't find belts. As long as you have the sprockets its a direct swap. KZ 750s share the same sprockets as well.

Don't know for sure but I think the kz305 and maybe 200 are the same as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Finnigan said:
what are the benefits going to a 520 chain?

The 520 kits are much lighter than the 530 stock chains which is less rotating mass. Also, with the 520 kits you can run the o-ring or x-ring chains unlike the 530 sprockets on most bikes.

What would the odds be of getting a kit for the XS650? Only option I know of at the moment is MikesXS. I've used their sprockets and haven't died yet but would be happier knowing where they come from.

17 front 34 rear is stock gearing with some running 30 - 33 rears to reduce rpm and vibes.

Tim said:
What would the odds be of getting a kit for the XS650? Only option I know of at the moment is MikesXS. I've used their sprockets and haven't died yet but would be happier knowing where they come from.

17 front 34 rear is stock gearing with some running 30 - 33 rears to reduce rpm and vibes.

Yea the XS650 I believe they can cut no problem. I will check tomorrow with them and let you know.

Are you going to sell the sprockets separately? I prefer using a non o-ring chain.

DrJ said:
Are you going to sell the sprockets separately? I prefer using a non o-ring chain.

Sure we can sell them separately. Roughly $25 for the front and $60 for the Rear. Anything under 34T is a bit cheaper.

What's the difference between o-ring and x-ring chains..? Isn't o-ring the best or am I outdated?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

the difference is the cross section of the sealing ring. An o-ring is circular. 2 sealing surfaces, one on each side plate . The X ring cross section is like an x, so it has 4 sealing surfaces. Also, the X ring puts a little less force on the side plates, so there is less friction. Less friction is good. Absorbs less HP. Some of the chains play with the thickness of the legs of the "x" to make it seal better, but still keep reduced friction.

X ring and their variations are the latest greatest. O-Ring is "old" technology.

But o-ring is better then no o-ring. X ring is a little better yet.

A new 520 chain is actually stronger then the OEM 530 chains on these bikes. A new 520 chain should last a lot longer then the old heavy duty 530 chain. The old chain had no seals at all. Dirt would get into the rollers and wear out the cross pins. A rubber sealed chain doesn't have that issue, and the steel is even stronger.

If I hadn't recently purchased a new chain and sprocket, this setup would of been the way to go.

Also, at least on the CB360, most O-ring/X ring 530 chains are wider than the stock heavy duty chain, and will rub on the side case. The 520 chain is narrower, so no rubbing issues.

Those sprockets are pretty....

Thanks for the lesson! Cool deal, and yes they are pretty! Lucky for me I dont have a chain.. So I will be getting these, but not to that stage yet!

Here is a basic cross section of the X-ring vs O-ring chains. Heavy Duty chains have no rings at all.

url

'O' and 'X' ring chains still need to be lubed as the rollers will wear on the bushings and have exactly the same problem as non 'o' ring
The main issue is water/rust when they are not maintained
Personally, I see no advantage on a street bike although this kit would be worthwhile if I needed a complete set and may 'do it' in the future ;D

For a stock 350 or 360, it is more chain then you would need. But for that monster you created Crazy, it looks like a nice setup. I would do mine just for the bling factor if I was in the market for a chain.

Those sprockets look lovely. In fact, I wouldn't mind just the sprockets in a 530 size.

I tried drilling my old countershaft sprocket, but it turned out to be a lot harder steel then the cheap bits I have. I didn't want to spend the $ for a bit that could drill it.
I managed to make 2 tiny marks that are hard to see though... 8)

Once the front sprockets are hardened they are extremely hard to cut. The 530 are fine but way heavy for the smaller cc. The 520 kits are a lot lighter with less rotational mass and cheaper

crazypj said:
'O' and 'X' ring chains still need to be lubed as the rollers will wear on the bushings and have exactly the same problem as non 'o' ring
The main issue is water/rust when they are not maintained
Personally, I see no advantage on a street bike although this kit would be worthwhile if I needed a complete set and may 'do it' in the future ;D

Yes correct. Proper maintenance on any chain is needed (Cleaning and Lube) and will prolong the life of the chain & sprockets significantly. I cant tell you how many people come to me and say this sprocket, that sprocket and chain are garbage and at first glance I can tell they never maintained it at all hahahaha.

In my experiences the O-ring and X-ring chains out last the Heavy Duty chains when properly maintained and I feel they are a smoother and quieter ride than the heavy duty chains.

Nice, I see that you have a 17T front sprocket option for the CB360s! I'll have to hit you up when I get my junk running.

I will soon be in the market for a chain and sprockets again for my cb550. Any plans to start making them?

Bubbleguts Turner said:
I will soon be in the market for a chain and sprockets again for my cb550. Any plans to start making them?

Sure let me see what sizes they have available and eta

Back
Top Bottom