$50 mod thread

Shock adjuster tool. Cost about 50cents (maybe less) for a bit of scrap steel and wear and tear on tools....

I sat my ass on the bike last night and it hurt because the bloody shocks i've got for it were wound up to suit a mastodon or humback whale or something. That pissed me off as i don't have a spring adjuster tool. I went onto ebay and after exclaiming "How much do they want for that chunk of steel?" i decided to make my own.
Start of with the trusty piece of scrap steel you've been using to build all the stuff on your bike. I think this stuff is about 3-4mm thick. On it you need to mark out your rough shape. The think to keep in mind is most of these tools you'll see have the key (the bit that goes into the hole on the shock) around 135 degrees from the heel (the bit that joins the handle to the inside curve). That is so the handle will "pull into" the shock and cause it to turn rather than slip out. I made up a roughly 35mm radius which is about the same as the shock.
DSCF2059.jpg

No metal jigsaw blade at hand? Haven't gone and splashed out on a dremel yet? Never fear. Drill some small holes (not too close to the radius) along the curve. Follow this by drilling these out with a bigger diameter so the holes join together.
DSCF2060.jpg

Cut out the rest roughly with an angle grinder
DSCF2061.jpg

finish of with a flap disc, file, bench wheel, whatever you have. I held down my grinder upside down on the bench and used it like a grinding wheel (but i don't endorse this technique ;) ) to get all the rough edges out. I ended up having to take a lot more out of the heel to get it right. Just do a bit then check it, a bit more then check it until it comes out right.
DSCF2062.jpg

I now have rear suspension instead of a spine breaking system.

cough...

you could pick this tool up at any bicycle shop... or ask them to borrow it. i know for a fact we have one at my shop in 31mm, 35mm, and 42mm... and probably many other sizes... those three are the most common. probably cost you about 14 bucks for one depending how much your local shop marks up prices. ;) ;)

Rocan said:
cough...

you could pick this tool up at any bicycle shop... or ask them to borrow it. i know for a fact we have one at my shop in 31mm, 35mm, and 42mm... and probably many other sizes... those three are the most common. probably cost you about 14 bucks for one depending how much your local shop marks up prices. ;) ;)

you referring to the spanner wrench from above?

JRK5892 said:
i also use them to tighten the weird nuts on the fork trees... works better than a pipe wrench!

I found the head of a large iron nail works pretty good as well. Line the head up with the nut, tap the nail tip, and free it goes!

I'm sure you can rocan but when you're counting your last $8 to buy veges and bread then making a wrench out of scrap steel is so much more appealing.

I'll keep my ideas to myself next time then.

Staffy said:
I'm sure you can rocan but when you're counting your last $8 to buy veges and bread then making a wrench out of scrap steel is so much more appealing.

I'll keep my ideas to myself next time then.

I understand the appeal of fabricating an alternative to a specialty tool, but when it costs that little and you're worried about affording food, maybe you need to reevaluate motorcycles as a hobby :-\

I don't mean to offend, I myself have to work 60 hours a week to get by, but when it comes to my bike I buy quality tools that will last a lifetime, or I'll borrow tools that are not cost effective to buy. One can make a list of excuses for the means of getting a job done, but it comes down to either getting the job done right or half assed.

... But if you can make it, and it works just as well, what is the issue? If I can buy it for ten, or make it for five plus have something that works that I made. No brainer...

Not to offend.

Keep it up Paul.

yep i made my own as well... hell i make tools all the time! work great and are cheap! plus it beats runningout the the store to spend $

I thought there was a home made tool thread. Maybe this forum should have one if it doesn't.

I love home made tools. Good job. I might make one.

Thanks guys. It seems a few people get the point. Tools of all varying qualities were built by someone at some point, so why not build em yourself? They don't have to look pretty to do the job. Lets look at it another way, i just saved enough money to go out and get a 6-pack of beer with what i didn't spend on something made in a sweat shop factory for roughly the same cost as what it took me to make it.
By the way mignightcafe, anyone who's lost work knows full well that having something like a bike to fettle with whilst trying to overcome said temporary setback is quite often the one thing that'll keep you going. Thing is, even if i was pulling in a grand a week i'd still have made that thing myself.

Staffy said:
Thanks guys. It seems a few people get the point. Tools of all varying qualities were built by someone at some point, so why not build em yourself? They don't have to look pretty to do the job. Lets look at it another way, i just saved enough money to go out and get a 6-pack of beer with what i didn't spend on something made in a sweat shop factory for roughly the same cost as what it took me to make it.
By the way mignightcafe, anyone who's lost work knows full well that having something like a bike to fettle with whilst trying to overcome said temporary setback is quite often the one thing that'll keep you going. Thing is, even if i was pulling in a grand a week i'd still have made that thing myself.

Well said, Staffy. I see your point about saving a few bucks while making a tool that does the job 100%, I've done this sort of thing before and agree it's worth the time. Although there are cases where doing so is stupid/dangerous. My friend tried making his own spring compressor for his honda civic when he was switching out the springs, but it broke and sent the spring flying in the grass. I was standing over him when he was doing this and thinking back, that could have messed me pretty badly up if it were to hit me. Obviously his tool failed.

IMO if the tool is affordable and I'll be using it often, I'll buy one built to meet industry standards than risk injury with a homemade one.

woops. didnt mean for that to be taken the wrong way....

you must remember that i said you can often BORROW the tool from the shop... for free... buying it was just another thing i said you could do.

if you want to make it, be my guest... just wanted to tell people that they could save some time...

Rocon, borrowing the tool is fine, but having the tool on hand at all times is better.

So is anyone starting a homemade tool thread?? ::) ;D

sharperdill said:
So is anyone starting a homemade tool thread?? ::) ;D
Sounds like you're volunteering ;)

If there's not one up and going when i get back home i'll dig up some home made tools and kick off a thread.

Back
Top Bottom