$50 mod thread

I think if you guys saw how it worked you might have a bit more confidence. But regardless, it worked for me and I didn't have to spend any money. And I still have my nuts, so it was a good day.

I like the tool you made, and I mean no criticism. If it were mine, I would grind down the teeth on the sprocket part, as my past has demonstrated, if it could happen, it surely will to me! ::)

Really cheap soda blaster using some clear tubing and some tape. not sure if its been posted before. It jams regularly, but works well. good for small parts.

Here's my take on a simple side mount license plate bracket. I made mine from steel, you could also use aluminum. Paint it, polish it, drill speed holes, whatever you like. I don't have a lot of metal working tools at my disposal at home and no welder so this was done with an angle grinder w/cutting wheel, a belt sander, and a drill. Total cost for my bracket was $5.86 for the piece of steel plus a couple of small bolts.

First make a paper template of the bracket ensuring that you have plenty of clearance for all moving parts:

T500-750-L.jpg

And transferred the shapes to some steel:

T500-751-L.jpg

A little time with an angle grinder, belt sander and drill press:

T500-752-L.jpg

Ready for paint:

T500-754-L.jpg

T500-753-L.jpg

You may have noticed that there are two sets of holes in the license plate portion of the mount. Vertical plates are technically illegal here in Indiana but I see them all the time. If/when Johnny Law gives me a hard time about it the holes are already there it mount the plate horizontally:

T500-755-L.jpg

Wingspan said:
You may have noticed that there are two sets of holes in the license plate portion of the mount. Vertical plates are technically illegal here in Indiana but I see them all the time. If/when Johnny Law gives me a hard time about it the holes are already there it mount the plate horizontally:

T500-755-L.jpg

I'm worried that the plate would deflect at higher speeds. Only reason I'm concerned is that I built my own license plate bracket (speed holes and all). Two weeks ago the whole bracket shook itself loose and flew off (I was going a little fast ;) )

a002 by emmeto17, on Flickr

021 edit by emmeto17, on Flickr

NOOB style tuck and roll look.

i went to Joann Fabric or something with my wife and picked up a scrap piece of black vinyl for 4 bucks ~half yard
used black thread that was as thick as we had (general purpose) set the stictch length to about 1.5-2. then i traced a straight line every 2.75 inches along the back of the vinyl. then i folded the material and sewed a quarter inch loop at every line until i was across the seat area.
217347_990491325505_22401740_47540578_7580257_n.jpg

i kept checking to see how it fit. end product with seat shaving and other stuff.
206564_991023005015_22401740_47551134_7018105_n.jpg

midnightcafe said:
I'm worried that the plate would deflect at higher speeds. Only reason I'm concerned is that I built my own license plate bracket (speed holes and all). Two weeks ago the whole bracket shook itself loose and flew off (I was going a little fast ;) )

a002 by emmeto17, on Flickr

021 edit by emmeto17, on Flickr

I really can't comment too much on your bracket other than to say that the mount portion of yours looks a bit on the small side. I can say that they're no way the wind will deflect the plate as I have it set now. I've taken care avoid stress risers where ever possible but I'll be keeping my eye on it for signs of vibration damage.

Why not add a hinge and a spring. Let it deflect at speed and snap back when you're just tooling around...

Swagger said:
Why not add a hinge and a spring. Let it deflect at speed and snap back when you're just tooling around...

Don't know about where you guys are, but over here that sort of device is highly illegal as it might interfere with the speed cameras taking your pic. The police will rip you a new one :eek:

And you'd probably get less time for murder from what I've heard ::)

Here's one I hope hasn't been posted already...

For those of us that own bikes with sketchy pasts (and four pounds of body-filler on our tanks), I've recently discovered a way to strip paint without harming the bondo that lies beneath.

Oven cleaner. More specifically, 99 cent oven cleaner from the Dollar Tree. Hold your breath, spray it on thick then let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Once it's set, take a 80 grit sanding sponge or block to it and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Prepare to be underwhelmed by the sheer amount of bondo smiling up from your gleaming steel tank.

hillsy said:
Don't know about where you guys are, but over here that sort of device is highly illegal as it might interfere with the speed cameras taking your pic. The police will rip you a new one :eek:

And you'd probably get less time for murder from what I've heard ::)

Well we're not talking about something that'll flop over at 20mph....was thinking more significant speed. As well, side mounts are more often than not illegal by the technical letter of the law anyway. Heh.....
Heck, if I ever got pulled over on one of my bikes by a cop who was bored or otherwise turned on I'd be in trouble.

I've been addicted to this thread. Great job folks.

The one thing I can add is for CB owners (not sure about other bikes, but I know it's worked for my '76 CB550k). Seems everyone gets their bike with the trip reset knob missing. I went ahead and hollowed out the inside of electrical wire connector (you know, those colored plastic nubs with ribs on them that prevent you from getting fried). Fits on there nicely and now you don't need to use the pliers at every fill up.

Another guy over at SOHC-4 forum added to the idea, using a replacement switch for a lamp. Also a great idea.

Go for the electrical connector if you like a little color, the lamp switch if you want to look retro :)

Cost: under $5

Great idea on the trip counter knob, seems so simple I don't know why I never put the two together. "Lamp switch snob or wire nut" - clever!

Back
Top Bottom