$50 mod thread

that's handlebar grip tape for bicycles. I don't see how it would work the way you are using it...

pablohoney said:
Well Here is my $10 mod. Works excellent for cutting down on vibrations.
I wrapped them with this http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301773_3021162.do before when I would ride my xs650, after 30min my hands would be so tingly and funky. Now I just rode an hour on the bike and it felt better than my cbr600. They absorb all the vibration.

P.S. they also have black if you don't like the white.
RockrollDONE6.jpg

man inistead of wrapping that stuff all over your bars (to me it looks a bit weird) get some "stuff" expandable foam and fill the bars with it... works great to eliminate vibrations, i do it on street fighters all the time

If you plug the ends of your bars you can pack playground sand in them to kill vibrations, works like a charm.

Swagger said:
If you plug the ends of your bars you can pack playground sand in them to kill vibrations, works like a charm.
The trick is to make sure the sand is very dry first, otherwise a few years later they could come apart in your hands.

Yup, I baked it in the oven (boy was Ms.Kitty pissed) after stealing it from a playground.

Cheap/Easy Resistor To Make LEDs Flash:

We don't need special resistors or flash units to make LED turn signals flash on our vintage bikes.

Add an incandescent bulb inline (one for left and one for right) as a cheap resistor. The single bulb will usually be enough of a resistor to make your front and rear LEDs flash and you can hide the bulb inside your headlight bucket, under the tank, etc...

If light can be seen from it then just wrap it with black electrical tape to hide it. Since it flashes it won't get hot enough to burn out or melt the tape. Just remember to check it and the fuse if your signals stop working.

*peeks down below* 8) That's a great license bracket for under $6! Nice one! is it strong enough to take much abuse on road though? Just curious.. not hating kk ;)

Hmmm.. here's my first offering to the $50 Mod Gods:
$1 for Skateboard from trash'n'treasure at rubbish tip + $4 for lacquer & $2 for upholstery tacks
1skateboardfromtrashntreasure-1.jpg

Then some cutting, shaping and some lacquer
choppingtheboard.jpg

aftersomeshaping.jpg

chechingouttheseatfabric.jpg

bitoflaquer.jpg

... a lil bit of arts and crafts lol...
oldseatfoam.jpg

mytemplate.jpg

glueitdown.jpg

brasstacks.jpg

...and "whalla!... joost lark dis.. we haf a $7 solo bobber seat" *in mad german scientist voice*
heypresto.jpg

... and for my next trick....

$3 lucas "type A" light bracket for that vintage homemade look ;)

a bit of flat alloy from the hardward store...
flatalloybarfromhardware.jpg

a bit of shaping with the grinder and wheel... some buffing.... and bending (used an old exhaust header to get my bends
someshapingandpolish.jpg

Also wlded up the rear end utilizing the stock swing-arm and $10 worth of 7/8 steel pipe... a pipe bender and a grinder to notch the joints
weldedrear-1.jpg

.....to my count.. that's 3 mods on the one bike for $20 AUS ;)

Oily_Rag said:

I like the seat, but your hardtail has some serious weak points where you've bent the top tubes to meet the swingarm.

Knowing you're from Oz and the crap roads we have here, you might want to re-visit that design.

Not hatin, just sayin ;)

hillsy said:
I like the seat, but your hardtail has some serious weak points where you've bent the top tubes to meet the swingarm.

Knowing you're from Oz and the crap roads we have here, you might want to re-visit that design.

Not hatin, just sayin ;)

LOL... nah.. I just welded it up for the Deus biker build-off last year.. I took a shitty old SR185 and made it into a bobber for under $600 (including the bike)...

deusbuild.jpg

but yeah.. that wouldn't last 2 hrs here on Oz roads hahaha.... I've since cut the arse off it and I'm grafting a SR250 swingarm rear end on and dropping the front end to make a cafe.. have a nice lil tank for it too ;)

Latest mod...

making a new build-off bike for this years Deus competition... re-using the rear fender off last years entry "Lil Bastard" (which is a W650 front fender)... so far... cost me a cutting disc and a flap disc ;)

j-cut-down-W650-fender.jpg

i-OLD-W650-fender-chopped.jpg

It will serve as my front fender on the XS750 Cafe I'm building... I'm bending 10mm alloy round for the braces and then flatten the ends out and drill for tabs... so far, materials for front fender has cost me $15 including alloy round bar and brass brackets and S/S bolts and dome nuts... another cheap mod ;)

k-XS750-front-fender.jpg

mitchellsk said:
AWESOME!!! Great seat!

MBS said:
I'm liking the seat also. Nice work!

Thanks also guys :D First time ever for a skateboard bobber seat you reckon? I used the kicktail of the board for the curve of the seat ;D Cheers again for the kudos! Mucho respecto

Back
Top Bottom