$50 mod thread

i redid how the index is set up... if i am missing anything please let me know... should be much easier to read/follow now!

Joe, instead of having links to the actual page the Mod is on, you can have the link go directly to the actual post. Each post in a thread has its own URL per se (message number parameter).

As an example, instead of this link to your bike table mod:

Bike table -JRK5892-
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=6496.45

It would be:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=6496.msg56855#msg56855 or even just, Bike table - JRK5892

which will bring you directly to the correct page and jump you down to the specific post. I'd be more than happy to compile this list of new links if you want, just say the word.

HerrDeacon said:
Joe, instead of having links to the actual page the Mod is on, you can have the link go directly to the actual post. Each post in a thread has its own URL per se (message number parameter).

As an example, instead of this link to your bike table mod:

Bike table -JRK5892-
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=6496.45

It would be:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=6496.msg56855#msg56855 or even just, Bike table - JRK5892

which will bring you directly to the correct page and jump you down to the specific post. I'd be more than happy to compile this list of new links if you want, just say the word.

Love those free mods.

Hey Hoosier, pm me your address and I'll send you a watch so you can get with the times ;D

Herr that is awesome! i did not know that... when i have some time i will def get that going... i think i am missing some of these as well

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.......

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

Talk about thread derailment.Everyone goes off on a Pink Floyd tangent, and breaks out into song in text. ;D

Oh yeah, we're like fucking Glee but with whiskey and cigars and women with tattoos......
but yeah, just like Glee.

Swagger said:
Oh yeah, we're like fucking Glee but with whiskey and cigars and women with tattoos......
but yeah, just like Glee.

:eek:

WTH is Glee?Did I miss something?Am I being pranked and clueless? ???

Swagger said:
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.......

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

Vera Lynn kicked---and continues to kick ass---(I think she's still alive). Great singer; she was the sweetheart of the British Army..."We'll meet again..."

Ben2go: Glee is a.stupendously bad TV show, I've endured a grand total of 12 seconds of it myself. A relative who shall remain nameless (scowly face) thinks it's the shit. It is....shit I mean. There's singing and chirpy glee club folk......singing chirpingly....... <barf>

Tonup: Indeed my friend, however in this instance I was (gleefully) attempting a further derailment in the darkside of the moon. Another Floyd song....

PJ: I'll have to watch that video tomorrow, can't on my phone worth a shit.
(Dark side of the Moon being Pinkfloyds domain, not the album....)

I'm such a lazy sod and you know what, the other day I noticed the sun over there so I put on my dunlops and started running, but I couldn't keep up... and then it went down.....

Home Made Blasting Cabinet

Media blasting is a bit expensive for a super low budget build so I decided to make my own blasting cabinet. You may or may not be able to do this for under $50 depending on what you have laying around the shop. I already had a Craftsman hopper blaster that I used as part of the kit, but you could just use a bucket and a siphon gun on the cheap.

I had a scary situation a year ago when my dishwasher caught on fire. Well Sears (Aholes) refused to replace the unit because it didn't fall in the range of serial numbers that they had already been forced to recall by the CPSC. Anyway I had this large dishwasher that for some reason I didn't feel right about just tossing in a land fill. I started looking at it to see if there was anything I could salvage from it and realized that the big plastic tub would make a decent blasting cabinet.

I removed everything from the dishwasher and made a door out of 1/4" plywood. It actually seals pretty good because of the rubber gasket from the original door. I cut a rectangular hole in the door for a window that I covered with Lexan. I screwed two hinges at one end and made a handle on the other end. Then I cut two round holes in the side of the tub and glued vinyl over the openings. I cut an X into the center of the vinyl so I could reach in and use the gun. I then drilled out 2 small holes on one end to feed the media line and the air line into the cabinet. Now there was a large hole where the motor was mounted on the bottom of the dishwasher. You can see it in the pictures. I used some of the Lexan to cover it. Just use some Loctite construction glue to stick it to the side of the tub. That stuff is super strong. Then I went out an bought a small fluorescent light fixture and mounted it in the top corner of the cabinet so I could see. Screw a couple of pieces of 2x4 to the bottom for stability and you're done.

Total cost not including the hopper was about 30 bucks. I works great with aluminum oxide, but not so good with glass bead. The glass bead dust is much finer and gets out of the cabinet too easily. No matter what you are using you will need to wear a respirator as it does leak out a bit. If you want to spend some more time on it and seal it up better, you could. You also could fit a shop vac to it to help out with the dust. I know you can do this with wood, but the tub has one major advantage - It's WHITE. That makes a big difference in the brightness inside the cabinet. It makes it easier to see what you are doing. The hopper does jam up a lot so if you have a pressure blaster that would probably work a lot better. When you're done just scoop out the media and reuse it.

P1040764.jpg

P1040757.jpg

P1040759.jpg

P1040763.jpg

Tonup: Indeed my friend, however in this instance I was (gleefully) attempting a further derailment in the darkside of the moon. Another Floyd song....

Too funny...in any other context, I would have immediately thought of the Pink Floyd song, but since I was here on DTT, I was thinking old British bikes, Britan,etc, and veered right into WWII Vera Lynn World...

Back
Top Bottom