xs650 Sumotrack

Rat_ranger said:
No, haven't really been on that site. The different xs forums and a few articles on others is where I got some info. For hard measurements I have the manual.
It was posted there first so thought that's where you saw it. It's a much easier mod than cutting and welding cam, wish I'd thought of it 10+ yrs ago when I did my 800. ;D
I got hold of a copper plumbing fitting (around 3" dia) and cut it up to keep heat and spatter away from centre main bearings when welding pins. Even if your using TIG it may be a good idea?
Was there any wear from bearings? If it's just the thrust washer area it shows it's been run without oil changes. (dirt gets embedded in edges of bronze thrust washer , high rpm centrifuges washer into pin)

Ah, I don't think chopper underground is even working.

I've got the crank bearings removed, so not too worried about that. The left rod bearing had rust on a few rollers.

I did get the cases and cylinders cleaned up today. Soda blasted, then cleaned in a parts washer, blown out, then washed again 3 times.

Attachments

• 20180323_191139.jpg
    20180323_191139.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 233
Sounds expensive, bearings were $50.00 each last time I looked.
I rebuild entire crank as it's easier to check everything is running true (and 'adjust' if needed) then weld it up.
I've been using Honda CR500 rods with bronze bush small ends, have 6~8 stock (130mm) rods, too good th throw away but not useful at present (although I may try a modified stroke CB360 crank sometime, bought a spare 360 crank few years ago ;) )
Modified XV750 pistons give you 800cc (need XV liners in block though)

I ordered the rod kits from mikes xs. So they come with new pins, bearings, thrust washers. Crank bearings look good. I do have a spare crank as well, but it's rods look rough.

Other than rephase this one will be pretty stock. 2nd over pistons, maybe a hotter cam this winter. Big thing will be the fuel injection, which reminds me I need to throw the vise back on the mill and drill the fuel rail.

Yep, really like the way that's going, fuel injection is going to be a major upgrade when you get mapping right

Tunerstudio makes it pretty easy to get a pretty close tune, and with the wideband it'll adjust the fuel within the parameters you set. Biggest one to get right is the timing map, so I'm setting it to mimic the stock curve to start. Then once I have a decent street tune see about a little dyno time.

Megasquirt is simpler than most people think. But if you change it over to MSextra code it vastly improves the functionality. Plus tunerstudio is miles ahead of the old tuning software. The big reason most tuners won't touch it is they remember the MS1 days and the hassle and issues especially when built by an amateur. But Thins have definitely gotten better.

Got my pistons from cruisinimage. They look good and are withing 1g of each other, so I will see about getting that a little closer before install.

That's a good weight match for production parts. Plenty of area's you can remove 1g, probably more difficult not to remove too much ;D

LOL, yep, 'not enough, hmm, still not enough, little bit more, Oh *^%£**!'
Now do the other one to match ;D

Things have really improved since CNC as become 'normal' in manufacturing. It hasn't been necessary to buy 4~5 sets of WISECO pistons to match up a 'good' set for at least 10 yrs ;D
To be that close they must be temperature controlled or something as just turning stuff can change the dimensions as cut progresses (even with flood coolant) Impressive 8)

Yeah, for being cheap pistons they seem pretty good. I know the machines I run have temp compensation in the controller and do pretty good. But not quite that good.

Nothing like fresh powder. What's your plan for the body color?

Galaxy grey from house of kolor. And I want to replicate the decal on the tank, but match the frame color instead of white. But that'll take someone with more talent than me on painting, so it might not happen for a bit.

love that grey, similar to what i painted my kz1000. I think the white and black original decal might look good, plus you could add small white elements elsewhere to really tie it all together. too much of the cinnamon will detract imho, but you do you; its your bike!. Its looking great.

Back
Top Bottom