Nighthawk CB450 (New Age Bobber/Shortchop)

sorry I haven't been on in a while. The bike hasn't had much progress really :(

I am close though, I still need:
Headlight
Turn Signals
Set of working carbs
Oil seals for forks
Seat installed

I actually took the forks apart today and just need to go buy the seals and oil!

I found the solo seat at a Harley tent sale on my trip to Seattle Washington it was only like $20 out the door! I will be removing the pan since it doesn't fit and either leaving it off or having one built by my dads friend.

I am still missing the air cutoff assembly on the side of the one carb which is why I am thinking of just buying a working set that someone has already rebuilt. I gotta fix the floats on mine anyways. So its either get a donor pair to snatch those parts from and set the float height myself or find a good deal on rebuilt ones whichever comes first.

Hopefully get it fully running this winter and then ill clean it up and rattle can it while I wait to ride!

downsized_0917002029.jpg

-Zack-

Realized I have been posting in the wrong thread ::) so heres the update I posted there to let you guys know where I am at.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got an internship and am happy to say I have money to start working on this gal again. Hopefully more to come!

I am going to be mounting the engine up on the bench and working on that first. Going through all the maintenance and replacing stuff. Then start mocking it back up and buying pieces as I determine they need replaced or when I decide I need something. Then tearing it back down and having the frame powder-coated, everything painted, and any other cosmetics finished.

I will be making my own wiring harness with just the bare minimums that allows for the new configuration of switches and such.

I will post pictures as I find time to work on it between school and work!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any suggestions for rejetting with pods and straight pipes. All I have heard is 150 main jet. Any tips on what to buy?

Any tips on cleaning the engine without tearing it down? Also what about painting it without tearing it down. Really don't want to rip through the engine since I am not really skilled in that.

Should I pull the valve cover and heads to check the pistons and cylinders? Should I also replace the gaskets in these areas. They don't leak, but I am trying to give the engine a good look over even though it does run. I feel like it cant hurt to put it back on the frame nice and clean in the top end! Or am I asking for trouble?

Also if anyone can help me out i have posted a WTB. I am looking for the cover and possibly internals for my left carb Air Cutoff Valve

well found the parts i was looking for. Went through the carbs and im missing a couple seals and some of the rubber is squishy possibly from sitting in varnish. Gonna buy a rebuild kit and im thinking just ebay for $80 anyone have any other suggestions.

Also where does everyone buy their jets? Most of the places i have found just have parts numbers for the jets, how do i know which ones fit my bike?

Also do i need to increase the size of all the jets? Right now i have a #115 main which has to be wayyyyy too lean for the mods ive done

I've sold my 450 so I can;t check but I had pods and Emgo's on the factory head pipes and I think I was at 130 for the Mains and 98?? on the slows. It ran pretty good and was just a touch rich but never fouled out plugs. I got my jets from a local shop, they had a Keihin parts book and I just ordered jets from 125-135 at 2.00 ea and then started tuning. the 130's worked best and rule of thumb for a starting point is go up 5 for each mod, 5 for pods and 5 for exhaust My bike started with a 120 main in it so it made sense I ended with a 130. You likely won't need to change out the slow jet, but will have to adjust the mixture screws. Pods don't effect low throttle settings where the slow does most of the work. Cheers,

Maritime

zlittell said:
Realized I have been posting in the wrong thread ::) so heres the update I posted there to let you guys know where I am at.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got an internship and am happy to say I have money to start working on this gal again. Hopefully more to come!

I am going to be mounting the engine up on the bench and working on that first. Going through all the maintenance and replacing stuff. Then start mocking it back up and buying pieces as I determine they need replaced or when I decide I need something. Then tearing it back down and having the frame powder-coated, everything painted, and any other cosmetics finished.

I will be making my own wiring harness with just the bare minimums that allows for the new configuration of switches and such.

I will post pictures as I find time to work on it between school and work!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any suggestions for rejetting with pods and straight pipes. All I have heard is 150 main jet. Any tips on what to buy?

Any tips on cleaning the engine without tearing it down? Also what about painting it without tearing it down. Really don't want to rip through the engine since I am not really skilled in that.

Should I pull the valve cover and heads to check the pistons and cylinders? Should I also replace the gaskets in these areas. They don't leak, but I am trying to give the engine a good look over even though it does run. I feel like it cant hurt to put it back on the frame nice and clean in the top end! Or am I asking for trouble?

Also if anyone can help me out i have posted a WTB. I am looking for the cover and possibly internals for my left carb Air Cutoff Valve
I would check compression, if it is good, and there are no leaks, leave the head on. I had to pull the head on one of my 450 motors and I ended up with a mess. 2 of the head bolts are not oil channels like the rest and depending on the life your bike had previous to you they can be rusted into the bottom end and mine were. One broke off in the bottom end and the other completely stripped out. I was pulling the head to fix the cam tensioner bolt as it was stripped and ended up after adding up the cost, parting that engine out and gettting another for the bike. Was not fun. If compression is bad, you can pull the head and hone and new rings etc. I think the parts are all still available.

If compression is good, set the valves, they are easy if you take your time, use a feeler guage and set them right in the middle of the specs. you can clean and paint the motor without taking it apart. Just mask off the parts you don't want to paint.

Cheers

Disassebled the carbs for their second cleaning. Got kind of held up this weekend since I didn't want to spend all my money haha and had to replace the lower ball joint in my work car :(. Which still isn't finished, but being pressed at my buddies house. Was gonna clean the carbs tomorrow in my friends dads parts cleaner but that will have to wait till next weekend now.

Figured out a list of parts that should really get me set up on the engine and carbs! Other than possible syncing and rejetting once I have it back in the frame.
Degreaser
Accelerator Pump Rebuild Kit
Carb Rebuild Kit
Bowl Drain/Overflow screws and seals
Top Cover Screws
Air Cutoff Cover Screws
VHT High Temp Paint
Exhaust Header Nuts
Valve Cover Bolt Seals
Floats

is my list of stuff to buy immediately after my next paycheck or as soon as I can. Which should put me WELL on track for finishing motor stuff up. Leaving just Clamps for Overflow Tubes, Intake Boots and Bolts, Exhaust Header Nuts, Valve Cover Bolt Seals, Pod Filters, and Overflow and Gas tank Lines left on the list for various things to pick up with any extra money or my next paycheck. This all should keep me some what busy for a couple weekends. I am hoping to get her degreased and painted before it starts to get too cold.

-zack-

Whats the opinion on durability of spray on paints. I will be using VHT for all of it. I dont have a choice on engine im not breaking it done to get powder coated. But like brake calipers, frame, rims, etc. I would rather not have to save up for a powder coat but if its that much of a difference i will have to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

well i own a powder company so i always powder but on stuff like your calipers i would def powder them as paint will peel off... wheels i coat mainly because of durablility... on your frame you can get away with paint if you are really really careful with it... i would use an epoxy base paint on it however

Looks like i might just splurge and powder! Haha. What about the engine how does that hold up to the heat. My buddy used the vht on his autocross car and its been holding up but i dont know

i use dupi color 500* and it holds up awesome, just be sure you use the right paint, do not use 1200* as that cures in operation temp... your motor will never see close to that

Is your shop in chicago? I may have to contact you to talk about powder coating when its time :)

Hmmm i may have to calculate shipping versus gas. Im in northwest indiana

any body have any opinions on carb kits? Keyster?

another option is a set from usa-motorcycles-inc on ebay. Theirs seems really complete. Maybe its because the keysters only show the cardboard box in their pictures are they just as full?
$T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEGiMBQO86ji3mw~~60_57.JPG

Hmmm wondering if the keyster kit will fit I emailed them about it. It says 83-86 it looks exactly the same the only difference i see in the labeled parts is their main jet is a #120 mine is a #115.

The part number is KH-1232N

Well I have tons of stuff in the mail. Lots to do this next couple weeks! After this the engine should be ready waiting on a stand and then its onto the frame starting at the front and working back.

One question though, Should I get a Crankcase Breather that is push on and attach it right on the valve cover or one that fits in and then use hose between the two? It just seems like there wouldn't be enough room to attach it right there, but I have never even seen one in real life so I have no clue how much "stem" is there on the filter.

Pods are my last carb thing to order. Kinda waiting to find some localish beer cans to measure and buy pods that fit them.

hmmm Really want the UNI dual layer filters. They only sell 2" or 2.25". My carbs are 54mm (2.125in). Do you think I can stretch the rubber on the 2inches this much. Or can I tighten them down from 2.25 without worrying about leaks. What should I do?

well I have been pretty busy, but I have been trying to make time for the bike. I have bought a lot of stuff and starting to degrease the engine and get it ready for paint. Holy cow is it hard to degrease with all these fins and hard to reach places.
Also ultrasonically cleaned and soda blasted the carbs. Getting ready for those. Worked on the straight pipes, they'll be ready for paint and wrapping soon enough. Set valve clearances. Made a lists of things to do to get this engine running.

heres some pics:

carbs
2012-09-28_18-31-58_597.jpg

lots of parts :)
2012-09-28_18-31-15_517.jpg

more stuff
2012-09-28_18-30-18_77.jpg

2012-09-28_18-30-01_312.jpg

Carb Tops :)
2012-09-28_18-29-39_807.jpg

2012-09-28_12-37-27_933.jpg

soda blaster
2012-09-27_22-08-31_601.jpg

aftermath lol
2012-09-28_12-00-45_966.jpg

stripped to nothing :)
2012-08-14_16-46-12_38-1.jpg

2012-08-14_16-46-04_216-1.jpg

LOL nice dude, what year is that Nighthawk? mines an 82 that I'm currently working on bobbin. Gonna love seeing this project unfold!

As for the seat with the springs and hinge, I'm doing the same. It's a great idea, since i took out the air box in mine and I'm working on making a small "toolbox" that sits in where the air box use to be ( "toolbox" as in it could carry a few tall cans if need be lolz.) I'd say get rid of that air box for a cleaner look or sleeker since thats what your looking for, and move the electrical/battery inside or make a "stash" box >=D.

its an 82 as well :) but yeah I bought pods and I am just gonna spend the time changing all the jets and shimming needles to get it to run right. I am hard mounting the seat now and it will hump back over the fender for the girlfriend :( haha but it just means I will be able to ride more. We have even been in the talks of rebuilding a vintage single cylinder small displacement bike for her. Love the old Harley 125cc. I can't wait to finish this thing up. once I get this damn engine stuff done it should be much smoother sailing from there :)

Back
Top Bottom