1972 CB350 Cafe Racer

jwdmotorsports

Been Around the Block
Picked up a 1972 Honda CB350 this past Friday (10/9/15). Thanks to twinsorin for bringing to me on his way to the vintage festival.

Runs, rides, and stops as it is right now. I've ridden it around a few times since it got to my house.

It needs a few things to be fixed to be completely road worthy. It's leaking oil around the shifter, low beam doesn't work, and flashers don't flash. So, nothing major.

I plan to work on it in phases. Phase 1 will be to get the few things that need fixed ironed out. Phase 2 will probably be brake and suspension upgrades. Etc......

Came across this site last night. http://www.eurospares.com/350faq.htm Seemed like good information. Haven't read all of it yet though.

And pictures of the current condition.

Attachments

• IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 388
  • IMG_3679.JPG
    IMG_3679.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 386
Re: 1972 CB350 Build

Looks like somebody made their own Kerkers.

Great bike, though. When I got my CL the flashers didn't work right. I cleaned every electrical connection on the bike and.. they still didn't work. A new relay from eBay did the trick. My low-beam doesn't work, either, but the high-beam seems to still have a few rides left in it.

Are you close to Western Hills Honda? They have a lot of vintage parts.

The PO said the mufflers were from tractor supply. They're on the list of things to replace. They sound surprisingly good for cheap mufflers.

Yeah. I looked up relays. They're fairly cheap. I also have a couple CB360 harnesses. From what I saw online the relays are the same. I may see if the relays are still on those harnesses and see if either of them work before I order one.

I'm not near Western Hills Honda (I'm in Moody, AL). But, it looks like they have a website. I'll check to see what all they have.

iatethepeach said:
Looks like somebody made their own Kerkers.

Hey, they were cheap and like jwd said they sound pretty good. Another advantage was that they weren't rusted out.

jwd might have messed up. It appears he's cleaned the bike up some. I think that crud was holding it together.

David

twinsorin said:
jwd might have messed up. It appears he's cleaned the bike up some. I think that crud was holding it together.

Haha. It's just cleaner than you remember. Those pictures were literally taken minutes after you drove off.

Took the sissy bar / luggage rack off. If anyone is interested in it lets make a deal.
Have ordered a bunch of parts. First to show up is bronze swingarm bushings.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 340

General plan:

1) Get to reliable/safe road condition
2) Upgrade suspension. Hagen rear shocks. Plan to upgrade the front end to ex500 forks and trees with a cb360 wheel as seen on a build thread from about 5 years ago.
3) Mikuni carbs and new exhaust.
4) New seat, painted tank, etc.

Came across this today. I would like to be able to run superbike bars on this bike and the ex500 front end I would like to use doesn't lend well to that.
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/lsl-kawasaki-ex500-94-09-handlebar-riser-kit/
My goal for the front end swap is to improve the bike while keeping as much of the old school look as I can.

Attachments

• spiegler_handlebar_riser_kit_ps__90961.1421936088.50.50.jpg
    spiegler_handlebar_riser_kit_ps__90961.1421936088.50.50.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,618

Couple quick updates.
Removed the swingarm. Knocked out the old bushings. Cleaned up the pivots. Scuffed it up with 320 grit. Waiting on things to dry out in order to hit it with a quick respray and reassemble.
Oil seal kit and chain arrived. Didn't get a chance to work on replacing oil seals yet. More parts scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4143.JPG
    IMG_4143.JPG
    539.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_4135.JPG
    IMG_4135.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_4142.JPG
    IMG_4142.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_4133.JPG
    IMG_4133.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4132.JPG
    IMG_4132.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 361

That's a nice CB350K4.I just sold mine.I may have a few parts here and there w/ some new stuff.
PM me if you need something I can help with.

Re: 1972 CB350 Resto-Mod

grcamna5 said:
That's a nice CB350K4.I just sold mine.I may have a few parts here and there w/ some new stuff.
PM me if you need something I can help with.

Will do.
Any chance you have a build thread out there somewhere for your 350?

My painting jig for the swingarm. Nothing fancy. Main objective was to get the spots that had gotten knicked/scratched over the years covered.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 317

Pretty impressed with what a little wd40 and some steel wool can do to clean up chrome. Not the greatest picture but you can see the before and after. Thanks to Kiley Owen for the recommendation.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    967.2 KB · Views: 317

Replaced the broken clutch lever. Sometimes it's the small things.
Going on the mindset that if I do something every day it will get done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    906.2 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    768.8 KB · Views: 318

Doing a small(or bigger) job every day is a good way to stay motivated to keeping the positive enegy flowing :)
I used to wait until ALL the parts came in before I really got into repairing a customers bike and sometimes that made me wait longer after I found out there was something else I should have looked at which I probably would have found if I had done small tasks regularly.

Someone once said "slow and steady wins the race" or something like that... :D

I'm going to keep up with your build and looking forward to seeing your vision for this bike. Good luck!

rauns20 said:
Someone once said "slow and steady wins the race" or something like that... :D

I'm going to keep up with your build and looking forward to seeing your vision for this bike. Good luck!

I'm definitely slow when it comes to builds.
I have a vision in my head. Don't know if I can convey my vision other than it will be somewhat of a "factory cafe" style.

Had a couple more minutes to work while the wife was cooking dinner. Installed the new swingarm bushings. Note the fancy press.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 286

I have replaced the oil seals behind the shifter cover. Should have fixed my oil leak issues.
The swingarm is back on with the new bushings.
Have mounted a new 110 back tire with the help of Kiley Owen. Going to replace the bearings and the brake shoes before I put the wheel back on.
Working on cleaning up the back wheel. Pretty happy with how well it's cleaning up. Here's a before and during picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 291
Back
Top Bottom