Reserve capacity Ace125. (not in owners manual.)

bonester

Been wondering since buying my Ace125 what the reserve capacity is in the fuel tank and fuel range of the bike. This hasn't been helped by the lack of a trip meter (pity!) and I tend to fill the Ace via a fuel drum- not measured. Was going to the petrol station with the girlfriend on her bike today and me on my Ace and it hit reserve on the forecourt! Timed perfectly. I put 5.5litres in- this means a reserve of 3.7L. pretty big reserve for a small tank. I had been thinking that the bike has a really poor range, but with a bigger reserve than I thought it should be OK.
My bike has hit reserve around 130km or so on the highway. Pretty average fuel consumption but I guess it is pushing 140 odd kg of me plus itself. Working hard. Great fun though. :)

bonester said:
Great fun though. :)

Reserve seems to vary somewhat from bike to bike; and I wouldn't totally trust stated tank capacity.

Consumption figures for my bike when it was still a 125 were 29.35 k/litre or 3.61 litres/100k.

I tip the scales a bit less than 75kg, which is a big help.

Crazy

I usually fill up with in a very few kms of hitting reserve and it takes 5.5 litres.

I get about 3.16 litres/100km or 31.65 k/litre or the one I understand... 89.4mpg

This is mostly commuting, bike still a 125 with free flowing exhaust and rejetted and carrying my 80kg frame.

So I get 174 kms between fill ups. This seems to be almost spot on every time.

Not sure about the reserve.

Cheers
Richard

Mine is a 147cc. Was almost unrideably slow when standard. I am a riding instructor and teach my clients hill starts, culminating in a very steep hill as a challenge. The Ace REALLY struggled to take off on that hill. Almost didn't. :)
I have noticed now that it is getting better with age. Gearbox is a lot nicer and it is starting to get some pep about its acceleration around town. 2700km on the clock now. Big bore been in since 300km.

Try ditching standard foam in air cleaner for something more open. . Put a big drill in the end of your exhaust box in the outlet tube. Won't make it much louder but improve flow. . I am building a stock bike at the moment so will feed you any improvements I can. Bogging at the bottom end is not usually something I tune out as I am looking at the top all the time.. I have noticed an improvement in mid range power the more open the exhaust is. Also take off your pipe and use a dremel tool to clean up restrictions at the opening that goes to the head. Some claim a restriction at that point is good for torque but if it is not smooth there turbulence on exit will cause problems too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the cheap 26 mm Chinese mikuni is a good step to a good overall tune. Up top use a 95-102 jet. Needle in Middle spot.
You will have to play with idle jet and mixture screw.

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to use standard parts though to optimise the bike. I know it will never be a rocketship- I have other bikes I can ride if I want to go fast. I'm happy that it can sit on 100km/h- considering standard it is rated at a top speed of 82km/h and I weigh 143kg that is great. It performs about the same as GN250s that I own, even on the highway. They have 100cc or so up their sleeve and don't corner anywhere near as good as the Ace and their engine is 10 years newer in design too! I have a good dyno guy- might chuck the bike on the dyno (as well as my second ZRX1200R and GPZ900R that need tuning) and see how close the beastie is on jetting etc. 8) I think the exhaust may need some further investigation too. If I could get the second cat out I reckon the bike may be pretty close to spot on to where I want it to be. :)

Oh and I flogged a mate on his Moto Guzzi Lemans 1000 with the Ace recently on a DOWNHILL run down a mountain range. I was kilometres ahead of him. Awesome fun but strange exiting corners and nothing happens pretty much when the throttle was opened. I thought I was going slowish, but turns out it flies through downhill corners. Coming BACK up the range, understandably he flogged me. All the Ace needs is an engine. Have thought about buying a second one and putting a two stroke engine in. That would wake it up! :)

I thought of going with a two stroke motor but the little cg motor is ok . Mine needs a trip o n the dyno again soon. The power is in the motor begging to get out. Mine runs mostly stock parts and if you get the tune right with stock carb it goes well. Needle hight is the hard bit to change with the stock carb. You can lift it by using thin small washers to shim pack it up. This improves mid range power as it is lean in midrange stock. Pull out the other cat and fix last baffle in exhaust box. Goes from a sluggish 4.8 hp to around 10 at Back wheel with a re jet. Makes it more fun in the hills and safer too as it will get you out of trouble if need be. I love my bike in the hills. I think the right word is " nimble". A joy to ride. I never speed so big fast bikes don't do it for me. Definitely put your bike on a dyno. The carb tune will improve that feeling of no power out of a corner thing.

Sounds great. Thanks for your advice! Something no-one seems to mention is advancing the ignition timing. Wonder if anyone has played with the timing/advance curve???? Hmmmm. :)

You can remove the reserve if you wish to .Do a fuel flow test by removing the hose from the carb,with the tap "off" , turn " on " watch that the fuel flow is good ,solid , not just dribling as i found . At the bottom of the tapis a hex to undo the bowl and remove rubber seal and filter screen forcleaning . Before you use your fingernail to remove the rubber seal and filter look under and into it as the filter sits one way .The fuel flows into the bowl of the tap and up through the screen . To remove the tap undo the 22mm nut from tank. Inside is a brass tube which will be your effective Reserve height . Around this is a double screen filter , top for , fuel bottom for reserve separated by a rubber bung . I have removed this and will just keep monitoring my fuel level. I will readress this at a later date and maybe trim some off the brass tube . This is on the 50cc ex SUUS bike .

Disregard my comment about leaving the internalscreen out . See my next post .

Paul in adelaide said:
You can remove the reserve if you wish to .Do a fuel flow test by removing the hose from the carb,with the tap "off" , turn " on " watch that the fuel flow is good ,solid , not just dribling as i found . At the bottom of the tapis a hex to undo the bowl and remove rubber seal and filter screen forcleaning . Before you use your fingernail to remove the rubber seal and filter look under and into it as the filter sits one way .The fuel flows into the bowl of the tap and up through the screen . To remove the tap undo the 22mm nut from tank. Inside is a brass tube which will be your effective Reserve height . Around this is a double screen filter , top for , fuel bottom for reserve separated by a rubber bung . I have removed this and will just keep monitoring my fuel level. I will readress this at a later date and maybe trim some off the brass tube . This is on the 50cc ex SUUS bike .

Nah don't want to do that. reserve is the ONLY way to know how much juice is left- no gauge or trip meter. Trip meter would be good. Could change that but should have been addressed at the factory. There are cheap speedos on ebay for around $30 with a trip meter. I want the mileage on my Ace to be genuine. Wonder how long the engine will last? I'm hoping for over 20000km. New piston/ barrel is only $90 so an engine rebuild up the track isn't a worry as long as the bottom end keeps going. I guess a complete new engine wouldn't be too dear either. :)

The top of the brass tube that i refer to is probably about the halfway mark of the tank . You could trim this nearly 20mm thus getting more mileage before reserve . Have a look at 20mm on you tank and you will see it becomes closer to a proper reserve level. Plus whilst you have your tap out have someone hold a container under the outlet whilst you sit astride poring a litre through the tank and rocking from side to side to flush grit out . I have put back the screen around this brass tube as i just was letting all this grit go through the tap .

You should post some pictures of your bike Paul. Nice looking machine

I rode the " SUUS " bike to Bunnings last week and a guy follows me into the store to tell me he had taken a photo to send to his mate who has Ducati's , the green frame gets another one .

Get used to that at every servo and hardware shop. News agency and botlo.

Back
Top Bottom