Shock absorber dimension question

Swampnuts

Hey guys,

I've been looking at different shock options, keen to avoid the piggyback look and don't want to spend a fortune, but a question about dimensions.

From what I've read people have been fitting 325mm - 335mm shocks, but whats the eye size as I haven't been able to see anyone mention the exact details, is it 12mm at the top and 10mm at the bottom? (keen to find some honda options maybe)

Cheers!

First, if you want fitment advice you should probably note your specific Honda model. If your Honda model is eye-clevis, then IIRC most have the same lower bolt diameter. Second, if you're planning on buying new, some manufacturers will include bushings of various sizes that you can swap out to fit. You can also buys those separate if you buy used.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

BarnBurner said:
First, if you want fitment advice you should probably note your specific Honda model. If your Honda model is eye-clevis, then IIRC most have the same lower bolt diameter. Second, if you're planning on buying new, some manufacturers will include bushings of various sizes that you can swap out to fit. You can also buys those separate if you buy used.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Whoops, probably should have specified they're for my Skyteam Ace

Raymart1961 said:
I'm just about to order some new shocks myself and measured the studs on Saturday.
12mm top and bottom

Nice one! Hey if you find some decent cheap options in Aus let me know. I'm struggling to find the right dimensions and don't fancy paying pounds for them.

Swampnuts said:
Nice one! Hey if you find some decent cheap options in Aus let me know. I'm struggling to find the right dimensions and don't fancy paying pounds for them.

These might just do the trick! - http://www.japbikespares.com/honda-sl100-325mm-jbs-chrome-rear-shock-absorbers-eye-to-eye

I measured 330mm eye to eye. Postie shocks should fit and can be found very cheap if you're lucky.

Another option in Australia is replacement shocks from a Braap Mercury 250cc for $85.

I have not read much good about the JBS shocks online, but I think it would be difficult to find shocks worse than the stock pogo sticks.

adktz said:
I measured 330mm eye to eye. Postie shocks should fit and can be found very cheap if you're lucky.

Another option in Australia is replacement shocks from a Braap Mercury 250cc for $85.

I have not read much good about the JBS shocks online, but I think it would be difficult to find shocks worse than the stock pogo sticks.

Yeah as far as I know 330mm eye to eye is the factory specs, I was more concerned about the eye size top and bottom, as I've heard about problems with people using shocks with a bushing removed so they fit or whatever. I assumed those JBS shocks wouldn't be amazing, but you get what you pay for I guess!

Raymart1961 said:
I'm just about to order some new shocks myself and measured the studs on Saturday.
12mm top and bottom

Yeah, so just to clarify, after ordering 12mm, its actually 14mm eyes top and bottom.... huge ball ache refitting the bushings

Hey Swamp nuts, I ordered and received a set of those JBS shocks, 12mm, and they fitted perfectly.
I can only guess that the studs have been changed in size between our two bikes.
for those interested, they may not be perfect, but they are a huge improvement on the originals.
Ray

Raymart1961 said:
Hey Swamp nuts, I ordered and received a set of those JBS shocks, 12mm, and they fitted perfectly.
I can only guess that the studs have been changed in size between our two bikes.
for those interested, they may not be perfect, but they are a huge improvement on the originals.
Ray

Ahhh interesting, mines a 2016 model so yeah they may well have changed! On mine the threaded part was 12mm but the actual strut when the shock fits was 14mm. Yeah I went with generic shocks from Mostyn and yeah man, it has really made a big difference on the bike for sure! Great upgrade

Hi Swampy,

Which Mostyn shocks did you get ? The 330mm black ones with the chrome springs, $89.95 ? SKU:SH05 ?

The Mariner said:
Hi Swampy,

Which Mostyn shocks did you get ? The 330mm black ones with the chrome springs, $89.95 ? SKU:SH05 ?

Yep, that's exactly right dude. They look rad and have really helped the ride

Back
Top Bottom