A.J.'s CB500

ajaf1656

Well I got a camera tonight and got a few pics of what is going on in my garage. I bought a 1973 CB500 a few weeks back and started taking the bike apart. I have been going through everything and making notes about what I want to do. I am at a point where I need to start spending some money so things are slowing down a bit. I'm a bit worried about working my self into a corner and having to do some major things more than once.
My plans so far include repainting the frame and swingarm (or at least cleaning them up) a seat and tank from BCR, new exhaust, rearsets and relocating the battery under the seat. The engine ran when I bought the bike but I want to clean it up and make sure that everything is working properly.
I want to use some features from the Air Force's Lockheed U2 Dragon Lady in the paint job. I'm thinking gloss black with a red stripe down the tank and seat. I want to work in the 4 crosses, the Air Combat Command patch(on the tail of the jet in pic) and maybe the 99th RS patch.
I would love to hear any advise or ideas for the bike.
-A.J.

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

U-2Side.jpg

U-2Tail.jpg

Sounds cool. Are you in the A.F.? Started taking the bike apart looks like its apart. Is that a z1000? Keep it up.

I was in the AF a few years ago. I was a crew chief on the U2. The jet in the pictures is one of the "double bubble" U2ST trainers. The SR71 Blackbird is retired but flew out of the same base. They are very different jets, U2 being like a glider and SR71 like a missile.

My other bike in the picture is a 2008 Yamaha FZ1. Sometimes riding the FZ1 in town seems stupid because I'm in 1st gear most of the time. I figured an older bike with a smaller engine would be a blast to ride around town in the summer.

Nice project, and love your reasoning for getting a smaller bike. I personally loved learning on my 125 stroker - you could nail it in every gear and still be (almost) within the speed limit. Awesome handler, too. You'll love having something you can legitimately ride the tits off!

Bit of an aircraft nut myself, looked through the thread and then read forcefanajd's comment. I thought 'No way...thats a U2!' and was almost right haha. The SR71 is one of my all time favourites, up there (for me at least) with the Supermarine Spitfire and ME163 of WWII.

Cheers - boingk

the U2 idea is pretty neat, it looks like there's a lot of stuff to borrow. My brother used to analyze U2 film and do QA at Beal afb. going there and seeing U2s hanging around was pretty sweet.

Well I guess I could only put off spending money for so long. Today I ordered new rearsets and exhaust. I went with Tarozzi rearsets and Mac's 4-1 system. I also put an e-mail in to Benjie to get the seat and tank started.
And Max... That's a JET not a plane. Haha just giving you crap.

Cool build idea. I was thinking of an old Zero as my next idea build. Can't wait to meet up and check out the bike..

Well, I got the frame and swingarm to the shop for sandblasting and powder coating. I will have to wait to PC so I can make sure the tail piece and battery box from Benjie match up. (glad I asked)
I also got the exhaust and rearsets in the mail...

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I'm going to try and get the engine cleaned up while I'm waiting on the body parts and frame.

They are the rubber/ folding peg Tarozzi's from Fast from the Past. I didn't get all of the hardware in the pic.

For the past few weeks I've been polishing parts and trying to clean the motor up. It will be good to have more than just boxes of parts in the garage again.

I got my tank and seat from Benjie (didn't know he was in the Phillipines) the other day. A local shop is welding the battery box and giving the frame a fresh black simi-gloss powdercoat.

I am not sure how I should tackle the motor. So far I have cleaned most of the gunk and crap off. It ran when I bought the bike but I'd like to make sure it is running properly.
What areas should I check before reinstalling the motor? I don't want to get the motor back in the frame and find out I missed something.

The Phillipienes? I thought Benjie was in New Jersey for some reason. Hmmm... Thats killer that you got your tins in though!

Back
Top Bottom