81 CM400 Bobbin'chop

Aetsh

Coast to Coast
I really have no direction on my bike..But its slowly leaning to a little bobber/cruiser..I was having a hard time messing with it because it is so clean, and all original..But I've found myself being very bored with it, and it never really feeling like "my" bike.

Here are a few pics of when I got her

30290_10150195084855204_666690203_12624278_7181802_n.jpg

28953_10150184588595204_666690203_12365238_8252544_n.jpg

More recently...

34582_10150230400930204_666690203_13652956_3194846_n.jpg

And my work this week..I made hardtail struts, and Wrapped the pipes.. The ride isn't bad at all (Some parts of some roads are) but for the most part, it just feels like I have really stiff springs.. Plus its SLAMMED..Love the look!

IT FINALLY FEELS LIKE MY BIKE! Which is the most important thing in the world to me..I few more minor parts and mods, and I'm gonna be happy as a clam..

34372_10150231960910204_666690203_13689309_4496117_n.jpg

34473_10150232567500204_666690203_13703453_7392537_n.jpg

I did 70 miles as a Shakedown run today, and the struts held up great, and while the wrap smoked for a while, I think I got it all out and they're good now..Plus I'm really not hurting at all cause of the struts :)

Real pics coming soon!

Paint for sure..Grey with teal/white pinstriping..

The bike can kinda go 1 of 2 ways right now..I'm just seeing how it plays out or how I'm feeling..

Aside from the pipewrap, the original shocks can be put back on in 5 minutes, and it cost me $10 in materials and a few hours to make, So if I don't dig em anymore, its no biggie..

I'd still really like to get a cafe seat, and put the clubmans back on and it kinda be a full cafe, but I'd really just like a second bike to full cafe, rather than caff the daily rider..Ya know?

So it will either stay like this (kinda bobber styling) with some minor mods, or go back to the shock'd backend, and buy a cafe seat and put the clubmans back on, and maybe even talk Swagger into making me some rearsets for more of a Cafe look.

All up in the air, depends on how I'm feelin'

I was wondering what you've been up to on this! Everything's lookin good man - and if you need a hand with something just let us know!

Aetsh, I am bringing the front brake caliper for you to Troys, Do you need any other parts? I have a small pile of bits. It looks pretty clean so I assume no, but if you need something and I can fit it in my saddle bags I'll bring it. I like the look of the slammed rear end. Just have to ditch the big factory seat ;D

Cheers,

Maritime

Maritime said:
Aetsh, I am bringing the front brake caliper for you to Troys, Do you need any other parts? I have a small pile of bits. It looks pretty clean so I assume no, but if you need something and I can fit it in my saddle bags I'll bring it. I like the look of the slammed rear end. Just have to ditch the big factory seat ;D

Cheers,

Maritime

Thanks Rich!

I appriciate you bringing it all those miles Maritime! Thanks again!!

For the most part, I think I'm in good shape, but thanks for the offer as always! I can't wait to rebuild the caliper! Mine is getting worse by the day!!!

Shaun, looking good. After you get your caliper sorted out, we'll get you the stainless line on it.

Thanks Doug! It will be painted before Troy's! I'm realy excited to unveil it...

You won't see it online painted til you see it in person..It's gonna look real slick!

20100730190209.jpg

Made a few small changes..I have hated the back end of the bike since i got it, so I finally did something about it, and I couldn't be happier! ;D

Off went the stock fender, taillight, license plate bracket, and turn signals.. I made a license plate bracket and light holder, rode around a few days and decided it looked unfinished with no fender..

In comes the sheet steel, cutting, grinding, drilling and some black paint later, I have a small bobbed fender on the back!

It flows with the lines of the bike, and looks really cool IMO. I'm pretty happy with the new back end of the bike! I was worried about the legality of no turn signals (Fronts are coming off too, soon) but last night after hand-signaling a turn infront of a Ohio Highway Patrol man, and not being pulled over, I'm confident.. On top of that, I spoke with a Hubbard twp cop this morning (Where I work) and he said its not a problem, and fully legal in Ohio to use hand signals...That being said, I'm stoked :)

I was kinda worried about not having them, due to the safety issue, but I figured, even if I put small aftermarket ones on, whats to say someone will/won't see them? I brake early, and hand signal early, so there should be no problem IMO.

Next on my list is bob the front fender and paint it black to match the back fender (I got stuck in the rain no fender, and it SUCKED..I gotta have some kind of front fender happening.. and take my front wheel off, and paint my fork lowers black..After that, I'm gonna do some kind of small tight exaust using some nice mandrel bent tubing

Thanks! he has some good prices..ill be snagging that other mirror soon.

Gonna stick with the original plan of a mild cafe..along with swagger's rearsets, im gonna try to do up a seatpan/cafe hump seat out of steel, and if that doesnt work out, resort to dropping the cash on a glassed' one. but im pretty sure i can make a somewhat attractive one out of steel sheet, for a 1/4 of the cost of a glass one.

Cafe styling was my first real love in motorcycles (aside from my love for jesse james, dont judge me..he is an amazing metalworker and craftsman) and the bike being a bit to small for long highway rides, cafe styling seems to be the best fit for me!

Next time you ride down, we can check out the frame / seat area and come up with some ideas.

If you need any help, just let the crew know!

Honda CM400 Straight pipes

Got those goin today, Just temporary until I figure something else out thats not stock..maybe some 12" shortys? Sounds cool for now, and gets lots of looks around town :D

Cut my front fender down a bunch, and painted it black..No pics yet tho, I forgot haha..

Then took a nice ride, I need to richen up my mixure a bit for the short pipes, but its really not too far off!

20100802173708.jpg

20100802184144.jpg

The rear fender went the way of the sawzall too? If it's not raining, ride that sucker down! I wanna check it out. We could fab up some baffles for those pipes too.

I really like the look and sound of the str8 pipes. Now I need some extentions for my pipes. So they can look cool too. Just got emgo pods for my 650 so maybe I can ride it soon. I hope so. Anyway I vote for a bobber for your build. Bobbers are so much more bad ass in my opinion. More raw and hardcore.

Back
Top Bottom