Deacon's KZ650 Cafe Seat Build

Scratch said:
I should switch mine to a LED, it looks like it would be a lot easier to mount. Do you have to do anything different as far as wiring goes to put an LED on?

Looks like the resistors are built right into the taillight (see the large picture of the open bulb).

I'd say it's a straight up swap.

Tintin said:
I think you need different signal lights. Something less pointy to go with that beautifully rounded seat/tail light.

Yeah, I agree. They were bought well before the seat. They are cheap as anything anyway and will probably be broken soon so I'll get something more in line with the seat then.

I never had to do any special wiring for the LED's. Although, I am a bit worried about the little bit of angle it sits at. I find LED's are brightest when you are looking directly at them, so the angle may reduce the brightness for people behind. If so, I'll just swap it with a bulb style light, don't want to risk not being seen.

+1 on loving that light... and seeing final pictures. i like how you relocated the license lights as well. def something i will look into closer to my seat build

Thanks 904. Hopefully I'll attempt covering the cushion part of the seat this weekend. Bit worried how it will turn out though as I've never done any upholstery before. If it turns out like crap I'll get someone else to do it. ;D

Also, I haven't even tested the license plate light yet so I'm not sure how bright or effective it's going to be. Hopefully it's alright.

HerrDeacon said:
Thanks 904. Hopefully I'll attempt covering the cushion part of the seat this weekend. Bit worried how it will turn out though as I've never done any upholstery before. If it turns out like crap I'll get someone else to do it. ;D

Also, I haven't even tested the license plate light yet so I'm not sure how bright or effective it's going to be. Hopefully it's alright.

Deacon I can tell you the local cops haven't bothered me about mine... and I don't really have one. hah. Actually red LED's that "kinda" shine on it. ;)

P.S. Mother Nature washed all the salt off today... Soon be time to ride! ;D

I'm done school now so if you want another set of hands I'm around... well actually I'm gonna be in PEI next monday to friday, then Jamaica for my brothers wedding... ::) ... Geeze... when am I gonna get the time to ride :-\

Ease said:
Deacon I can tell you the local cops haven't bothered me about mine... and I don't really have one. hah. Actually red LED's that "kinda" shine on it. ;)

P.S. Mother Nature washed all the salt off today... Soon be time to ride! ;D

I'm done school now so if you want another set of hands I'm around... well actually I'm gonna be in PEI next monday to friday, then Jamaica for my brothers wedding... ::) ... Geeze... when am I gonna get the time to ride :-\

Yeah, truth is that with my schedule I won't even be able to ride much at all, and probably never at night (I have the kids in the evening).

Lots of bikes out the past couple of days, I can't wait.

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I need a hand. Painting the tank this week and I'm still waiting on my jets to arrive to start on the carbs. Just little bits left to do.

Have fun island hopping!

HerrDeacon said:
Yeah, truth is that with my schedule I won't even be able to ride much at all, and probably never at night (I have the kids in the evening).

Lots of bikes out the past couple of days, I can't wait.

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I need a hand. Painting the tank this week and I'm still waiting on my jets to arrive to start on the carbs. Just little bits left to do.

Have fun island hopping!

Never thought of that you know... 3 different islands in a month, hah.

Can't wait to see the tank painted. If it comes out as good as the tail you're laughin.

Deacon just curious as to how you are going to mount the seat pad and seat to you bike and still allow you easy access to your glove box in the seat hump? Great build by the way, I am building mine at the moment and its great fun seeing it all come together!!!

hotfunk67 said:
Deacon just curious as to how you are going to mount the seat pad and seat to you bike and still allow you easy access to your glove box in the seat hump? Great build by the way, I am building mine at the moment and its great fun seeing it all come together!!!

Well, my plan is to use velcro. I really don't know what I'm going to do if that doesn't work :-\ I'm hoping to get it all clued up this week so I'll let you know.

Post some pics of your build when you get a chance, would love to see it.

Still haven't upholstered the seat because I've been busy painting the tank. I know this is a seat thread but since they are painted alike I figured I'd add it in here.

The tank was in pretty good shape and so I only had to do minor work to get it ready for paint. Sanded it down a bit and fixed one really minor dent. This is what the tank looked like when I purchased the bike:

tank.jpg

Also, here is a close-up of the emblems as they were when I bought the bike:

emblems.jpg

After sanding and priming I layed the base coat (no pics of this stage). I then had to tape off the tank for the stripes to match the tail. I thought laying stripes on the tank would be much easier than the seat but I found it just as hard. The gas cap and other reference points really helped show any crooked lines. I guess this probably a good thing in a way.

Well after what seemed like an eternity I had it all taped off and ready to paint the stripes:

tankTape.jpg

After it dried I removed the tape, wet sanded and then cleared it. I then wetsanded the clear and polished and waxed. I also painted the emblems black and sanded the letters to expose the aluminum.

tank1.jpg

Emblems:
tank2.jpg

Couple of shots of the tank and seat on the bike:
tankAndSeat2.jpg

tankAndSeat.jpg

Only thing left for this part now is to cover the seat, which I'm hoping to get to this weekend.

drackett_19 said:
awesome work on that tank! those pin stripes turned out perfect. :eek:

Very nice.

Thanks drackett, they're far from perfect (the pics don't show all the flaws ;D) but I'm pleased with the result.

hey deacon the tank and seat look awesome, great job. if the velcro doesnt work on your seat I've seen an old race seat that used press studs between the covered section and the base, just a thought.

hotfunk67 said:
hey deacon the tank and seat look awesome, great job. if the velcro doesnt work on your seat I've seen an old race seat that used press studs between the covered section and the base, just a thought.

Good idea, thanks.

I was also just thinking that maybe I should have just glassed in magnets (really strong like the rare earth kind), may have worked. The bolts that keep the pan on will prevent horizontal movement anyway. I'll see how the velcro works first.

Damn you're doin a great job!!

I feel I'll need to re-haul my bike to keep up! :D

Ease said:
Damn you're doin a great job!!

I feel I'll need to re-haul my bike to keep up! :D

Ha ha, I don't think you have anything to worry about there Evan. Its the rest of St. John's that will be trying to keep up with us this summer ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom