CB750K1 rear suspension

warpt_99

Been Around the Block
Give or take a few mm the stock rear suspension is 13 inches. This is the model bike that I'm drawing ideas from and I'm going to use rear shocks similar to these. The question is... do I go with 13" or 14" rear shocks? I have my front end lowered about 1 inch (the model bike is too).

Kott__0028.jpg

Hot ticket for handling is one inch longer then stock in the rear and about half and inch lower in the front.

But that's if handling is the important bit.
I am zero help with fashion.

That bike ( and all bikes) needs fenders. Especially the front. It acts as a fork brace.

surffly said:
Hot ticket for handling is one inch longer then stock in the rear and about half and inch lower in the front.

But that's if handling is the important bit.
I am zero help with fashion.

That bike ( and all bikes) needs fenders. Especially the front. It acts as a fork brace.

Based off counting the spring coils it looks like those are 14", whether or not counting the coils is a credible measurement is up for debate. I will be cutting my fenders down and not using the stock fender poles/brace. This is not the stiffest set up but it's better than nothing.

Those look stock length to me, which I would recommend sticking with if you're planning to lower the front at all. Longer shocks in the back plus lowering the front is going to be too drastic a change and will negatively impact your handling. I say stick with 13's and lower the front 1/2"-1" per Mark Paris' (HondaMan) recommendation in his book "My CB750 Book: On Putting Them Back On The Road"

Great resource for anyone rebuilding a CB750 btw.

I would think that the SOHC CB750 racers would not be running longer rear shocks if it was a negative handling mod......

surffly said:
I would think that the SOHC CB750 racers would not be running longer rear shocks if it was a negative handling mod......

I must have missed where OP said he wanted to build a race bike...?

It's just my opinion, but a nice set of stock length progressives in the rear and either lowering springs in the front, or slide your forks up a 1/2"-1" will give optimal street handling, as well as the pseudo racer look we all know and love

Screw working for the look.
Build a race bike, put plates on it.
Look will just sorta happen.

But sure, stock length is fine. At least is not like you are lowering the bike like the hipsters....it's not a civic.

Buy good shocks. Progressive or hagons are great for budget performance.
Everything "universal" or the junk DCC sells is a waste of money.
Hagon will Taylor the shocks to you as well....
Worth it.

While you are doing tht rear you might want to think about the swingarm bushings too.

Back
Top Bottom